"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2007, 08:35 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
just quickly, what you`ll need will be an old mobile fone, the sort that doesn`t power off if left for a few mins, and you want this fone on the Vodafone Pay as you talk Smart price plan.
that way you can top the thing up with a fiver and leave it in there forever until you make a call.

next you give this fone to the Handy person with the solding iron, they take the fone apart to expose the keypad, the SEND button on the fone is the one you`re interested in!
the keypad is a rubber membrane, cut the send key section out push 2 wires through that new hole and solder them onto the 2 contacts that were under that send key, and then put the fone back together.

you want to put a little Micro switch to the end of these 2 wires, so when the switch is pressed, it now acts as the Send key (in effect you`ve just extended the key).

mount this to the garage door in such a way that when it`s closed the switch isn`t pressed, but gets pressed as soon as it opens a little.

now type in Your Personal mobile fone, make an entry in there called Garage, and put the number of your modified fone in there.

in the modified fone put in your mobile number ready to dial, then just wait for a burglar, as soon as the door opens a fraction that fone gets SEND pressed and dials you :)
on Your fone you see "GARAGE" show up

now dial 999 and tell then that you`re Currently being broken into :)

that`s the bare bones basics of it :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 10:45 AM   #12
Hospitality Queen

that's brilliant, YT! Absolutely brilliant!

Old 02-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #13
Executive Chef

well my 1`st trial of this resulted in an arrest and conviction (and I got the goods back they stole), it helped that I was at home at the time, so I answered my "SHED" and could hear all the little ba$tards were saying, Including Names :)
on the Other ear I`de got the landline with the Police on the other end :)
I should mention that While your handy person is inside the phone, disconnect the earpeice in it (you don`t want them to hear you on the other end!).

Yes this idea WAS perfectly Patentable, only I couldn`t afford the lawyers and the costs, and meanwhile folks were getting ripped off! :(

so I`ve made it Public Domain now, No One can patent it anymore, I`m more concerned with citizens fighting back than getting Money for it, it`s great for cars and alsorts, all you need to do is keep the charger in the fone so the batts can never go flat (I used a Car batt in my shed).

a simple Key Switch mounted will preclude any entry/exit dialings too.
it`s Far superior to a noisey Alarm as well, you could be out shopping or at a resteraunt and be alerted, meanwhile they`re in the act and feeling secure :)))

Old 02-25-2007, 11:31 AM   #14
Executive Chef

Folks here point their movie cameras focused on the area that is most likely to be broken into. If something goes missing, you have the perp (I watch too many crime shows ) on tape and it makes it very easy for the police.

YT, brilliant!!!
Old 02-25-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Head Chef

Sorry to hear about your loss. At least the thief was in the garage and not in your house.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2007, 04:12 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Thanks YT, Ill have my boy check into that.

And yes shipj4, glad they were not in the house!!

Policeman came by yesterday afternoon and reassured me its just kids doing this. He took our details about the bike and stayed chatting for about an hour. He's the beat cop for our area and was very informative about the low crime overall.

Landlord is fixing a big lock to the back gate and replacing the lock on the garage. We are also putting up some barbedwire across the gate to prevent them from hopping it.

I couldnt help buy get up this morning and look out back thinking the gate would be open again. Sigh. I hate that unsafe feeling. This happened to us last summer and it took me a few weeks to get over it. I'm sure it will go away again... Thanks again everyone for the kind words.. :)
Old 02-26-2007, 04:56 AM   #17
Head Chef

If it's kids, you might even find one of those "beware, dangerous dog" type signs might help as a deterrent.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:17 AM   #18
Executive Chef

the above accompanied with: QKits Electronic Kits: FK207, Dog Barking Voice Kit
to add a little authenticity :)

Old 02-26-2007, 05:27 AM   #19
Head Chef

YT: ever thought of going into security as a side line? Redkitty: theft is a huge problem, two years ago we were broken into. We live about, I don't know, 30 miles ish south of Bristol, WE WERE ALL IN THE HOUSE, including the dogs...big dogs. It must have happened between 3 oclock, wen we were up until, and 5 oclock when I got up to let the chickens out: but usually we would have been in bed earlier. They spent time too....they came in to the house and took my car keys, unliocked the car and spent time going through my filofax opening mail. Weirdly they took practically nothing: a bank card which they tried to withdrawer money from 3 Bristol ATMs but had not got a pin number and a mobile phone. yet they had access to all our vlaubles and the cars to drive them away in. It was extreemly scary to thinkwe and our usually very alert dogs had been sleeping about six feet away from where they must have come to to pick up my car keys. :(

Seriously YT, I would PAY to have someone install a security device like that fittedd for me.
Old 02-26-2007, 11:38 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Oh red, I'm sorry. I hate feeling so violated! Good call on the lock for your gate. Was it an expensive mountain bike? Oh, it just gives me the creeps!

A few years ago someone walked into our house while we were sleeping. I was still awake and dh woke up so disoreinted. The guy ran out as soon as he heard my husband. Lucky for our landlord that we were there, he made furniture downstairs and had some very expensive tools! After that I was soo spooked. Most of the nights that dh was working I spent at my mom's house. Or I'd fall asleep on the couch with all the lights on. We were also considering getting a dog before this happened and the decision was made quick after we got broken in to.