Someone broke into our garden

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Redkitty, so sorry. Having experienced repeated intruders to my old home & vehicle, I got out of Dodge. I highly recommend installing a secuirty system (they will drill holes all over the place), placing the stickers on your windows, and sensor lights. I had both installed prior to selling out. Sadly, don't expect too much from the police dept (didn't work for me). The intruder(s) always entered my home when either myself or my bf were not at home. I grew weary of changing the locks/locksmiths & safety deposit boxes... so I gave up a home I loved, but my well-being was more important. An added note - if you don't have a car alarm, crank up the radio full blast after you turn your vehicle off. My feeling was/is, if you cross my threhhold & come into my home and I am there - You're Mine! Sorry, but, I felt more anger than sadness. Stay safe and aware.

Last edited:
Thanks Mish, we rent and are moving back to SF next year so no spending money on alarm system for the house. We are installing a small LOUD alarm in the garage, which seems these little groups of criminals like to break into. We dont have a car, so no problem with that!

So weird, living in SF for a few years I never had any problems... cars get broken into there but mine never did. And yet here, its happened 3 times in one year. Always the garage, as its separate from the house and buts up to an alley. Our lazy police here informed me its a problem all over Bristol!

Thanks again everyone for the concern...I feel loved!!

I feel your pain with the Bristol police. True things they have said to me:

when someone was stealing petrol from my horse lorry (I could see his legs he was on other side) "Can you go and explain that it is private petrol?" I was 18 and home alone

And, when in the middle of the night I dialled 999 to alert them to the fact our car and horses were being stolen as I called..."Can you chase them away?" Luckily my dad was at home and that is indeed what we did do. Big dogs and a big man and a very angry young woman, NO police.

redkitty said:
Thanks Mish, we rent and are moving back to SF next year so no spending money on alarm system for the house. We are installing a small LOUD alarm in the garage, which seems these little groups of criminals like to break into. We dont have a car, so no problem with that!

So weird, living in SF for a few years I never had any problems... cars get broken into there but mine never did. And yet here, its happened 3 times in one year. Always the garage, as its separate from the house and buts up to an alley. Our lazy police here informed me its a problem all over Bristol!

You are very welcome redkitty. I lived in New York city with a police lock and two other locks, and never had a problem. BTW, my home was in a very good neighborhood. I was appalled to come home to see my books (from my built-in bookcase) thrown to the floor, checks gone and carriage clock (w sentimental value) smashed. So, who knows. Glad you are okay. That's what matters.

Last edited:
You are not going to believe this. They just came back and tore the gate off its hinges and left it wide open. We were home. Our neighbor heard them and came over to tell us something was going on out back. Cops wont do anything since nothing was stolen. Im just totally pissed off and freaked out. I know they have been watching the house now and feel completely helpless. Our landlord is going to replace the gate with a brick wall or something similar. No more gate. But I still dont feel safe and now think we should move. But that just pisses me off even more, that I am being made to feel unsafe in my own home.

I dont know what to do. :(

What JERKS! They tore your gate off the hinges because they were pissed you took some security measures.
I know moving is a gigantic pain, but I'd move if you can.
I'm so sorry redkitty!

(btw, I was in your old stomping grounds last week, no wonder you can't wait to move back there - its great!)

Originally Posted by redkitty

Whether you decide to move or stay ,there is always a caring safe place for you to come to here and know that people genuinely care about all the distress you have suffered.

I am so sorry this is happening to you. It would be great if you could somehow catch them doing their dirty work on video.:glare:

Would LOVE to catch these little trouble makers on video!

An update this morning, last night after we nailed the gate from the outside a neighbor came out to see what the noise was all about. Told us that another garage down the alley also had a break in to the garage and a bike stolen. Our neighbor 2 doors down also had these punks try to pull open their back gate as well. So I do feel a bit, just a bit, better that it wasn't just us. Last night I just so violated and unsafe. Even living in SF I never felt like that!

Our landlord came over this morning and he is securing the gate totally shut, no opening it at all. Which is fine since we dont use it anyway. He was so nice and felt really bad. So hopefully if they come back again and see they cant get in or out, they will move on.

Still didnt sleep to soundly last night, kept straining to hear if they were back out there. Thanks again to everyone for your kind replies.

YT...are you still ok for your invention to be shared? A UK friend's horses are being repeatedly "agitated" and I'm wondering if it could be adapted to go on the gate they are opening (not climbing over)? They are using CCTV now, but the images are unclear and have not caught anyone real time, only on recordings.

Back
Top Bottom