"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-25-2007, 04:54 AM   #1
Executive Chef

Someone broke into our garden

And our garage, stole my husbands mountain bike. I know its not a big deal, the bike can be replaced. I have other stuff stored in the garage, but I guess they wanted something easy to sell.

I had just gotten up, got dressed for yoga and came downstairs to open the curtains. Noticed the back gate open, which I just caught Raisin before she used the dog door to get out. She would have walked right out the back gate. I feel so violated and upset. Maybe the UK doesn't have as much gun crime as the US, but they sure do have a high rate of theft and knife crime. I felt safter living in San Francisco than I do here. This is the SECOND time someone broke into our garden. The first time I heard him, we called police and someone caught him in the alley.

I wanna go home.
Thanks for listening...

Old 02-25-2007, 05:52 AM   #2
Sous Chef

Not good, we work to pay for what we have, then someone who has no respect for anothers property comes and steals it, realy gets to me.

A person was caught red handed smashing windows at our shop, $2000 damage. He was taken away but not charged so we couldn't claim damages from him because he wasn't taking his medication and therefore deemed not responsible for his own actions.

Old 02-25-2007, 05:54 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I know exactly how you feel. Someone broke into the farmhouse the night before we got there and took our brand new microwave/convection oven. We hadn't even learned to use it without the book yet. We had deadbolt locks on all the doors, so they could only take things they could take thru the windows. They also took an antique telephone that had belonged to our grandparents in the early 1900's. There were several things missing, but those were the most important.
Old 02-25-2007, 06:43 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Yahoo to middie
Aw Red. I'm sorry. That's terrible. Someone broke into my car while I was at work, so I can relate to how you feel.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #5
Head Chef

Redkitty, sorry to hear your news. My parents live in Bristol too and I get the impression that garden sheds are especially vulnerable there. My parents don't keep anything of value in theirs anymore. If you have an alley, I'm afraid it will be all too easy for thieves to sneak in and then make their getaway. Unfortunately, repeat burglaries are not unusual, as the thieves assume you will get insurance money to replace what they took, meaning that in two or three months they'll be back again. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

You might have a local neighbourhood watch scheme you could join. And even though the police are hardly ever able to find the person after the event, you might find that your local police station will have an officer who gives advice. A friend of mine had an officer come round to her home and give some really useful information on preventive measures.
Old 02-25-2007, 07:31 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Uncle Bob send many braves with many arrows...guard Miss Kitty's Tepee.
Braves scalp bad guys!!!!

Sorry Miss Kitty...It's gives one a creepy feeling when something like that happens...makes you feel vulnarable and that is not a good feeliing.

You come home now to San Francisco!!

"I left my heart in San Francisco......

{{{{{{Miss Kitty}}}}}}}

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 07:40 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
I have an Invention that would help you no end!
I`ve made one myself and used it, that case went to court as the perps where arrested as a result, and this device got plenty of praise from not only the Police but the Magistrates also!

When my other site is back up and running again, I`ll cut and paste the details of my invention into here (it would take too long to type out right now).

and don`t fear excess complexity, it really is Very simple, but you will need someone handy with a soldering iron :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2007, 08:09 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Thanks so much everyone for the replies. UncleB, your post made me cry....in a good way though! I gonna go smoke out of my peace pipe now to relax!!!

YT, please do let me know about your invention. I have the "someone handy" and we can borrow a soldering iron.

I'm just so p'd off and annoyed, I know it was the same bunch of chavs who do this all the time in our area. Last year there was a break in down the road and they stole boxes of photos. Obviously not worth anything, but the woman they stole from begged for them back. They were pictures of her first child who died years before. Really sad and so unnecessary.

SnoopPuss, its not a garden shed, it was our actual garage the broke open.

We have a third bedroom and we are moving some of my boxes up there. Its all stuff I shipped over when I moved here, childhood items etc. All stuff that cannot be replaced. Ill feel safer with it inside the house.

Anyhow, thanks again for all the replies. Enjoy your Sunday.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:25 AM   #9
Head Chef

So sorry--what a lousy thing to have happen.

Install some motion detection lights. They are inexpensive, but would probably deter any bad guys.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:26 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Aw...Miss Kitty...I was wanting to make you smile...

Tell you what...remember the "joke" I sent ya???
Think about that one!!! He Heeeeeee

Be careful smokin peace pipe..Strong medicine...make you see double maybe even triple

{{{Miss Kitty}}}

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote