"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Something Seems to be Missing!

Our electric co-op put out a fund-raising cookbook, and James bought me one yesterday. The recipes were submitted by members of the group who put it together. I have been going through it and there are a few recipes I want to try.

A few of the recipes have missing instructions (a Spanish rice recipe lists rice in the ingredients but never says to add it--things like that), but one pie recipe "takes the cake!"

Here are the ingredients for this pie: margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans. The directions just say to mix it all up, pour it into a pie pan, and bake.

So, what is the name of this pie that only takes margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans? Chocolate Fudge Pie.

Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

If you get the proportions right, it sounds like good old southern pecan pie, although I seem to recall that pecan pie also has corn syrup in it..

Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
If you get the proportions right, it sounds like good old southern pecan pie, although I seem to recall that pecan pie also has corn syrup in it..
Yep!
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Upon further ponderin', I ain't sure about the flour in that recipe.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Upon further ponderin', I ain't sure about the flour in that recipe.
I noticed that as well. It calls for flour but not a pie crust. And it doesn't have the right ingredients to make an "impossible pie." It's as if someone found a bunch of extra words lying around and just threw them together to make a recipe.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Our electric co-op put out a fund-raising cookbook, and James bought me one yesterday. The recipes were submitted by members of the group who put it together. I have been going through it and there are a few recipes I want to try.

A few of the recipes have missing instructions (a Spanish rice recipe lists rice in the ingredients but never says to add it--things like that), but one pie recipe "takes the cake!"

Here are the ingredients for this pie: margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans. The directions just say to mix it all up, pour it into a pie pan, and bake.

So, what is the name of this pie that only takes margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans? Chocolate Fudge Pie.
Place uncooked rice in cooking vessel and then add rest of ingredients?
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Place uncooked rice in cooking vessel and then add rest of ingredients?
I make Spanish rice quite often--I was just pointing out that some of the recipes leave directions out.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Put the book away and take it out from time to time when you need a laugh. I wouldn't trust any recipe in it. Then write an letter to the electric coop and the group that put the book together and let them know they are selling crap to the public.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Put the book away and take it out from time to time when you need a laugh. I wouldn't trust any recipe in it. Then write an letter to the electric coop and the group that put the book together and let them know they are selling crap to the public.
Many of the recipes seem to say to throw a can of "this" into a prepared "that," and some I am pretty sure came right off a box or can label. Fortunately though, most of the recipes seem okay. The main recipes I am interested in are not for baked goods (we have cut out most starches) and if something is not right I can figure it out.

It is very disheartening that they would put this out with so many errors. They actually put it out two years ago, and we got one of the last ones at a discount. Saying something now would just hurt feelings and wouldn't help anything. I doubt they will do another one. Maybe I should join the group, and I can be their proofreader.
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef

Have them change the title to "Spoofin with Food", a guide for the disaster prone, success guaranteed!