"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 07-14-2012, 08:57 AM   #1
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Something Seems to be Missing!

Our electric co-op put out a fund-raising cookbook, and James bought me one yesterday. The recipes were submitted by members of the group who put it together. I have been going through it and there are a few recipes I want to try.

A few of the recipes have missing instructions (a Spanish rice recipe lists rice in the ingredients but never says to add it--things like that), but one pie recipe "takes the cake!"

Here are the ingredients for this pie: margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans. The directions just say to mix it all up, pour it into a pie pan, and bake.

So, what is the name of this pie that only takes margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans? Chocolate Fudge Pie.

__________________

__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
If you get the proportions right, it sounds like good old southern pecan pie, although I seem to recall that pecan pie also has corn syrup in it..
__________________

__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #3
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
If you get the proportions right, it sounds like good old southern pecan pie, although I seem to recall that pecan pie also has corn syrup in it..
Yep!
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,308
Upon further ponderin', I ain't sure about the flour in that recipe.
__________________
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:19 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
Upon further ponderin', I ain't sure about the flour in that recipe.
I noticed that as well. It calls for flour but not a pie crust. And it doesn't have the right ingredients to make an "impossible pie." It's as if someone found a bunch of extra words lying around and just threw them together to make a recipe.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
Executive Chef
 
justplainbill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Eastern Long Island, New York
Posts: 4,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
Our electric co-op put out a fund-raising cookbook, and James bought me one yesterday. The recipes were submitted by members of the group who put it together. I have been going through it and there are a few recipes I want to try.

A few of the recipes have missing instructions (a Spanish rice recipe lists rice in the ingredients but never says to add it--things like that), but one pie recipe "takes the cake!"

Here are the ingredients for this pie: margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans. The directions just say to mix it all up, pour it into a pie pan, and bake.

So, what is the name of this pie that only takes margarine, sugar, eggs, flour, vanilla, and pecans? Chocolate Fudge Pie.
Place uncooked rice in cooking vessel and then add rest of ingredients?
__________________
justplainbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 09:59 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Place uncooked rice in cooking vessel and then add rest of ingredients?
I make Spanish rice quite often--I was just pointing out that some of the recipes leave directions out.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:03 AM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 41,394
Put the book away and take it out from time to time when you need a laugh. I wouldn't trust any recipe in it. Then write an letter to the electric coop and the group that put the book together and let them know they are selling crap to the public.
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #9
Traveling Welcome Wagon
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Somewhere, US
Posts: 15,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Put the book away and take it out from time to time when you need a laugh. I wouldn't trust any recipe in it. Then write an letter to the electric coop and the group that put the book together and let them know they are selling crap to the public.
Many of the recipes seem to say to throw a can of "this" into a prepared "that," and some I am pretty sure came right off a box or can label. Fortunately though, most of the recipes seem okay. The main recipes I am interested in are not for baked goods (we have cut out most starches) and if something is not right I can figure it out.

It is very disheartening that they would put this out with so many errors. They actually put it out two years ago, and we got one of the last ones at a discount. Saying something now would just hurt feelings and wouldn't help anything. I doubt they will do another one. Maybe I should join the group, and I can be their proofreader.
__________________
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
Executive Chef
 
CraigC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 4,795
Have them change the title to "Spoofin with Food", a guide for the disaster prone, success guaranteed!
__________________

__________________
Emeralds are real Gems! C. caninus & C. Batesii.
CraigC is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:19 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.