"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-14-2013, 04:35 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
It would be pretty to think that no one ever had an opinion that differed from yours but it's not the real world. Not every opposing response is accompanied by a YUK! a EWW or a GROSS.
Not sure why you keep going to the extreme I did not say "no one ever [should have] an opinion [different from mine]" or that "every opposing response is accompanied by a YUK! a EWW or a GROSS."

I said: 'Posted on Facebook: "Don't yuck on someone else's yum." '

Not sure why this is so controversial, actually. Sorry if I'm not making myself clear, but please don't add things I did not actually say.

Old 02-14-2013, 05:45 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...unless a poster specifically asks whether we like or dislike something, we refrain from negative comments...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
...I did not say "no one ever [should have] an opinion [different from mine]"...

You asked that no one post negative comments. I guess I should have said, ...no one should ever post an opinion..."

Old 02-14-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
Master Chef

I think it not reasonable to expect that nobody would voice a disagreement, maybe even a strong one on the public forum like this one. We have hundreds people reading posts here and maybe just as many commenting.
I personally do not find "yuk" or "eww" rude, those are just fine with me. As long As somebody doesn't call me names, or we have had some posters here who always had something negative to say about everything that was posted. Thanks to our moderators they are no longer here. In all the truth some of the Russian stuff I like to eat, I am surprised I haven't been ban from this forum for simply posting those recipes. They must be total yuk to an average American, just like peanut butter is to me.
What I trying to say is as long as it is polite conversation we are ok.
Old 02-14-2013, 07:16 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I agree with CharlieD. We don't all think the same things are delicious. Although I like liver, the DH does not and thinks not only is it gross but it is yuck. I don't eat hotdogs, bananas, processed cheese, Velveeta, CheezWhiz, sardines, canned soups, tuna (except fresh) or canned peas. These foods just aren't on my shopping list. Because of financial restraints, I have to cook using what I have on hand. And, prepare things from scratch because I can and I cannot justify buying the ready-made variety (tortillas, bread, etc.)
Old 02-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #15
Master Chef

I understand what GG is saying and I think some are blowing it out of all proportion for some reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I agree with GG and Snip about the rudeness part. I don't have a problem with someone politely saying they don't like something, but there is never any good reason to be rude about it.
+1

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:48 PM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Oh we are a contentious bunch...

No, that wasn't the word on my page-a-day calendar.
Old 02-14-2013, 08:54 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I hate this thread.
Old 02-14-2013, 09:13 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I hate this thread.

If you can't say something nice...
Old 02-14-2013, 09:17 PM   #19
Executive Chef

so they say...
Old 02-14-2013, 11:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I was thinking about where to post this, sounds like the right place.

DH and I went to our nearest Costco, and of course, had a few samples. Two of them were cooked salmon. I supressed a gag reflex and promptly spit the first one into the garbage can. To me, it was nasty! DH thought it was wonderful. The next one, DH stated it was delish, and told me I would like it much better than the first sample salmon. OMG. Pthw. Spit spit. It was worse, at least to me! We ate out of the same sample cup. Obviously, our salmon taste buds differ, as do our Brussels sprouts and liver buds, as DH loves both of those too! And I don't.