Something to think about

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't take offense if people don't like what I do, we all have individual tastes and I'm fine with that.
If someone says a recipe that someone else created is gross, that's rude but if they don't like an ingredient because of personal taste it's fine.
Just my opinion.
I agree, but find it best to just not say anything at all then find a post that is perfect for my taste and make a coment to the OP about how I like the idea
kades

I was thinking about where to post this, sounds like the right place.

DH and I went to our nearest Costco, and of course, had a few samples. Two of them were cooked salmon. I supressed a gag reflex and promptly spit the first one into the garbage can. To me, it was nasty! DH thought it was wonderful. The next one, DH stated it was delish, and told me I would like it much better than the first sample salmon. OMG. Pthw. Spit spit. It was worse, at least to me! We ate out of the same sample cup. Obviously, our salmon taste buds differ, as do our Brussels sprouts and liver buds, as DH loves both of those too! And I don't.

There are two places Shrek will eat liver...at home and a local diner. That's it, everywhere else it yucky, even the liver his Mother made. He never liked it until I made it the first time.

Shrek has also decided he despises brussels sprouts...no problem, now i don;t have to buy them:)

i can see both sides of the argument, but i fall into the freedom to express one's opinion side. the problem is deciding when it's rude. that can be a perspective thing.

i once posted that i thought a recipe that someone was going to try (not her own recipe, but one she found online and hadn't tried yet) was disgusting imo for a few reasons, and it got edited because i wasn't supposed to say "disgusting".

once bitten, twice shy might eventually make people not want to post their opinion at all in any case.

fortunately, i'm not shy.

Last edited:
I agree with Andy M. If you can't say something nice, don't say nothing at all. (Courtesy of Thumper from Bambi.) Everyone is entitled to have an opinion but don't be mean and hurt someones feelings if you don't have to!!

my point was that there are grey areas, and there is also a person's perspective on what is simple disagreement and what is simply rude, or both. :wacko:

the person i mentioned was going to try something new to them, and i thought that the shortcut they were going to use would ruin the dish.

i was stating an opinion from experience, and it was taken as offensive.

was that rude? it wasn't intended as such, but some people take offense very easily.

what's the point of discussing things if it can only be about sunshine and daisies?

unless you're just growing daisies, lol

Last edited:
I do understand. There are grey areas. It is very difficult sometimes. I know your intentions were good and you didn't mean to be offensive :)

This is a sensitive topic but in my opinion it depends on the situation.

I would never say something is gross or disgusting if I don't know the person posting but on the other hand I will mention my dislike of an ingredient if the person posting is a friend.
Like for example my complete dislike of chicken lol! I often comment on Kades, Kylie, LP, PF, Addie and Pac's threads for example and say "gross chicken" but the sauce or method sound great and maybe I'll try it with something else.

I would never be rude. If I don't like the recipe at all, I won't comment.

If someone askes for an opinion I will be as honest as possible without hurting someone's feelings.

Touchy subject I guess.

Just as an after thought. I don't think GG meant to say that no one must have an opinion, she was just sharing something posted on FB and that we should think before posting since some posts may end up hurting people's feelings. I also understand what Andy meant, we shoud be able to post our opinions without feeling like we've done something wrong. I think they are both right in their own way.

the problem is that some people are very sensitive, and some people are perceived as being rude, and/or both.

touchy, indeed!

i thought to myself: 'interesting thread. though, the very mention of fb might have planted the kiss of death smack dab onto an otherwise potentially interesting discussion.'

then, i thought: what do i truly think about negative comments posted in threads? no, really. what is my opinion? and the answer is: um, i can see a number of sides to this question....

then i thought: i know, i'll just wait and see what bt has to say before weighing in on this one. bt is a master at balancing blunt honesty with extreme sensitivity. (it takes a very steady hand to thread that needle.)

so then bt posted. and i thought: well, that didn't help me make up my mind at all. let's see, wwjd?...i think i will just have to leave this one for fb to figure out....:)

Last edited:
I really do love the lively discussions we have here :)

I should not have said "negative comments." That just muddled things up.

To me, saying "Eww, that's gross," is like throwing a worm on someone's plate. It ruins the experience. It's not the same as expressing a difference of opinion. That's all I was trying to say. Now, feel free to continue the debate lol

PS. I can't wait to see who is the first to say, I love worms!

Last edited:
I think part of the problem here is not being acquainted with the poster's sense of humor or lack thereof. Some of us innocently post frivilous remarks :blush: that may be taken seriously or at least differently by those of us with a more literal inclination. Even adding a smilie is not always a cure for this. More to be hoped is that folks on a public forum will find that just shrugging off ill-received remarks is perhaps more helpful. :) Not that anything goes, as someone already noted; the moderators, with judicious editing, keep us mostly civil. Yes, I know some folks may try to pass off rudeness by saying, "can't you take a joke," but as someone else here mentioned, true colors will usually come out.

Standing down from the soapbox now.

lol, thanks vit.

umm, i think. wait, were you just being funny, 'cause that would be rude... :D

i often admire people who only have nice things to say. there's a certain grace to that.
but i've learned that it's not always what it seems to be.

some people really do only have nice things to say from the serenity in their hearts. they hold little resentment which allows the beauty of their soul to guide them and shine through.

other people only say nice things because they want to be perceived as being nice, and they hold back the resentful and blacker parts of their mind in that effort. that is neither graceful nor serene, just fake.

when i see the latter in people, i don't worry about chucking a worm on their plate. :cool:

my soul is far too restless to be peaceful, and i'm aware of that. there's too many jokes to be told, too many debates to be argued. maybe someday i'll find that serenity i admire, but t probably won't be today.

the point is you should try to ve honest with yourself and others, and if you offend anyone or are offended, be willing to apologize or forgive, respectively. then you can live without fear and laugh on a daily basis.

Last edited:
I know I'm a bit forward sometimes. I take honesty a bit too far and I have to think before I post. I've never tried to offend anyone but I only give compliments or comments if I think something is good. I speak my mind, always have. I would just like to say if something I post comes across as being rude, please tell me. I prefer blunt honesty. Most of us are friends here and I think we can handle good and bad comments if they are meant well.

I hate this thread.

Threads of this nature tend to go downhill quickly, & eventually are locked. It doesn't serve a purpose, other than complaining.

I am not a member of Facebook, so I am not familiar with their rules. However, there are rules in place here. I try to overlook stupid comments, & consider the source, until they become vicious, snarky & repetitive. This site has a report abuse feature, & an ignore feature. Encouraging a debate is not what I come here for. I enjoy sharing recipes & talking about cooking.

IMO, this thread has gotten out of control, with replies expecting apologies & character judgements.

Personally, I don't have the time & patience for members that sign up because they need attention, stroking, & repeatedly cause problems.

Stick to the rules, & don't get personal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really do love the lively discussions we have here :)

I should not have said "negative comments." That just muddled things up.

To me, saying "Eww, that's gross," is like throwing a worm on someone's plate. It ruins the experience. It's not the same as expressing a difference of opinion. That's all I was trying to say. Now, feel free to continue the debate lol

PS. I can't wait to see who is the first to say, I love worms!

I love worms. I am one of those folks who will pick them up after a rainstorm from the cement sidewalk and put them back on top of the soil. :angel:

Threads of this nature tend to go downhill quickly, & eventually are locked. It doesn't serve a purpose, other than complaining.

I am not a member of Facebook, so I am not familiar with their rules. However, there are rules in place here. I try to overlook stupid comments, & consider the source, until they become vicious, snarky & repetitive. This site has a report abuse feature, & an ignore feature. Encouraging a debate is not what I come here for. I enjoy sharing recipes & talking about cooking.

IMO, this thread has gotten out of control, with replies expecting apologies & character judgements.

Personally, I don't have the time & patience for members that sign up because they need attention, stroking, & repeatedly cause problems.

Stick to the rules, & don't get personal.
I was just kidding and making lite of people complaining about threads....should have put a winking eye smiley....As far as tastes go, each to his own. I agree with letting things slide.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom