"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 02-15-2013, 07:36 AM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
the problem is that some people are very sensitive, and some people are perceived as being rude, and/or both.

touchy, indeed!
I agree and I'm going to stop commenting now before I put my foot in it

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:58 AM   #32
Executive Chef

i thought to myself: 'interesting thread. though, the very mention of fb might have planted the kiss of death smack dab onto an otherwise potentially interesting discussion.'

then, i thought: what do i truly think about negative comments posted in threads? no, really. what is my opinion? and the answer is: um, i can see a number of sides to this question....

then i thought: i know, i'll just wait and see what bt has to say before weighing in on this one. bt is a master at balancing blunt honesty with extreme sensitivity. (it takes a very steady hand to thread that needle.)

so then bt posted. and i thought: well, that didn't help me make up my mind at all. let's see, wwjd?...i think i will just have to leave this one for fb to figure out....:)

Old 02-15-2013, 08:02 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

I really do love the lively discussions we have here

I should not have said "negative comments." That just muddled things up.

To me, saying "Eww, that's gross," is like throwing a worm on someone's plate. It ruins the experience. It's not the same as expressing a difference of opinion. That's all I was trying to say. Now, feel free to continue the debate lol

PS. I can't wait to see who is the first to say, I love worms!
Old 02-15-2013, 08:08 AM   #34
Head Chef

I think part of the problem here is not being acquainted with the poster's sense of humor or lack thereof. Some of us innocently post frivilous remarks that may be taken seriously or at least differently by those of us with a more literal inclination. Even adding a smilie is not always a cure for this. More to be hoped is that folks on a public forum will find that just shrugging off ill-received remarks is perhaps more helpful. Not that anything goes, as someone already noted; the moderators, with judicious editing, keep us mostly civil. Yes, I know some folks may try to pass off rudeness by saying, "can't you take a joke," but as someone else here mentioned, true colors will usually come out.

Standing down from the soapbox now.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:54 AM   #35
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, thanks vit.

umm, i think. wait, were you just being funny, 'cause that would be rude...

i often admire people who only have nice things to say. there's a certain grace to that.
but i've learned that it's not always what it seems to be.

some people really do only have nice things to say from the serenity in their hearts. they hold little resentment which allows the beauty of their soul to guide them and shine through.

other people only say nice things because they want to be perceived as being nice, and they hold back the resentful and blacker parts of their mind in that effort. that is neither graceful nor serene, just fake.

when i see the latter in people, i don't worry about chucking a worm on their plate.

my soul is far too restless to be peaceful, and i'm aware of that. there's too many jokes to be told, too many debates to be argued. maybe someday i'll find that serenity i admire, but t probably won't be today.

the point is you should try to ve honest with yourself and others, and if you offend anyone or are offended, be willing to apologize or forgive, respectively. then you can live without fear and laugh on a daily basis.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 09:10 AM   #36
Master Chef

I know I'm a bit forward sometimes. I take honesty a bit too far and I have to think before I post. I've never tried to offend anyone but I only give compliments or comments if I think something is good. I speak my mind, always have. I would just like to say if something I post comes across as being rude, please tell me. I prefer blunt honesty. Most of us are friends here and I think we can handle good and bad comments if they are meant well.

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:18 AM   #37
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
I hate this thread.
Threads of this nature tend to go downhill quickly, & eventually are locked. It doesn't serve a purpose, other than complaining.

I am not a member of Facebook, so I am not familiar with their rules. However, there are rules in place here. I try to overlook stupid comments, & consider the source, until they become vicious, snarky & repetitive. This site has a report abuse feature, & an ignore feature. Encouraging a debate is not what I come here for. I enjoy sharing recipes & talking about cooking.

IMO, this thread has gotten out of control, with replies expecting apologies & character judgements.

Personally, I don't have the time & patience for members that sign up because they need attention, stroking, & repeatedly cause problems.

Stick to the rules, & don't get personal.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #38
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
I really do love the lively discussions we have here

I should not have said "negative comments." That just muddled things up.

To me, saying "Eww, that's gross," is like throwing a worm on someone's plate. It ruins the experience. It's not the same as expressing a difference of opinion. That's all I was trying to say. Now, feel free to continue the debate lol

PS. I can't wait to see who is the first to say, I love worms!
I love worms. I am one of those folks who will pick them up after a rainstorm from the cement sidewalk and put them back on top of the soil.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:36 AM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I love worms. I am one of those folks who will pick them up after a rainstorm from the cement sidewalk and put them back on top of the soil.
I like worms, too - couldn't compost without them. But I don't want them in my food!
Old 02-15-2013, 11:38 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
Threads of this nature tend to go downhill quickly, & eventually are locked. It doesn't serve a purpose, other than complaining.

I am not a member of Facebook, so I am not familiar with their rules. However, there are rules in place here. I try to overlook stupid comments, & consider the source, until they become vicious, snarky & repetitive. This site has a report abuse feature, & an ignore feature. Encouraging a debate is not what I come here for. I enjoy sharing recipes & talking about cooking.

IMO, this thread has gotten out of control, with replies expecting apologies & character judgements.

Personally, I don't have the time & patience for members that sign up because they need attention, stroking, & repeatedly cause problems.

Stick to the rules, & don't get personal.
I was just kidding and making lite of people complaining about threads....should have put a winking eye smiley....As far as tastes go, each to his own. I agree with letting things slide.