"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 01-29-2010, 11:34 AM   #11
Master Chef

Judie’s Big Pound Cake

Old 01-29-2010, 11:38 AM   #12
Everymom

That looks lovely. I'll have to try that one.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 PM   #13
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Well the pound cake was a total loss. I did the toothpick test, but apparently the toothpick wasn't long enough because the bottom half was totally raw cake batter. When I flipped it onto a wire rack to finish cooling of course you can imagine what happened. But now my kitchen floor is clean from me cleaning up the mess I made. Oh how I hate wasting all that flour, sugar, and eggs.
I use one of those wooden skewers for kebabs instead of a toothpick, because it is longer.
Old 01-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #14
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
I use one of those wooden skewers for kebabs instead of a toothpick, because it is longer.
Good idea, I probably have some lying around in one of my kitchen drawers somewhere.
Old 01-29-2010, 05:23 PM   #15
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
Well the pound cake was a total loss. I did the toothpick test, but apparently the toothpick wasn't long enough because the bottom half was totally raw cake batter. When I flipped it onto a wire rack to finish cooling of course you can imagine what happened. But now my kitchen floor is clean from me cleaning up the mess I made. Oh how I hate wasting all that flour, sugar, and eggs.
I have had times like that too. Like when I misread a cookie recipe (we won't go there ) but I learned to read and pull out all ingredients one at a time and get them measured and in bowls or dishes and double check each ingredient before I move on to measureing the next.

Like we say in carpentry, measure twice cut once.
Old 01-29-2010, 07:04 PM   #16
Master Chef

Well I did it. The fact that I threw away all those ingredients was really bothering me, so I made a run to the store and got more sugar and tried it again. So 6 cups of sugar, 6 cups of flour, 12 eggs, 4 sticks of butter, etc. later I have myself a big pound cake. It looks beautiful!
I'll let ya'll know how it taste tomorrow.
Old 01-29-2010, 09:06 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

had the same result in baking, sorta , yesterday. whipped up some ny bread dough. east said nov. for use date. i pushed it. barely rose at all. also added way to four. forgot, i guess, supposed to be that wet. heavy as a brick. totally could not be eaten. . i tried. don't think i will try to make a trifle with it. lol. as matter of fact i just threw it away
Old 01-29-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Executive Chef

All I can say is... Join the Club! My baking disasters include coffee cake, pie, angel food cake and bread. Practice, patience and re-reading the recipe is what most of us learn to do... the hard way!
Old 01-30-2010, 11:36 PM   #19
Master Chef

I love this. I pretty much don't bake. It is more of (to me, you may disagree) more of a science than an art, and I've never been good at math. One thing I am good at is rescuing disasters. One time a friend of mine was assigned desert for a Thanksgiving dinner. I'd have been 100% happy with pies from the local grocery store. But she made a pumpkin chiffon pie that did not set up. She was in a panic. She'd brought some whipped topping, and I laughed. I grabbed some big wine glasses, and we layered the pie that never was and the topping and no one was the wiser.

For future reference, chunks of cake that didn't work can be layered with whipped topping, syrup, fruit and a little liquer to make a nice trifle, big or individual.
Old 01-31-2010, 01:20 AM   #20
Everymom

Ha ha ha! Busted ya Claire, you didn't read the whole thread did you?