Songs that bring back memories

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aussie girl

Senior Cook
I have been playing some old cd's this week, and love the way certain songs can take you back to an exact place and time. Mine was predominately from my high school era, but I'd love to see your list from an important time in your life.

Some will be able to tell exactly when I was at high school from the following: :LOL:

Bette Midler - My knight in black leather
Ellen Foley - We belong to the night (that was a biggie)
Poco - Rose of Cimarron
Gerry Rafferty - Baker Street
Rod Stewart - Do ya think Im $**y
Grease and Saturday Night Fever Soundtracks

"Main Street" by Bob Segar
"Foolin'" by Def Leppard
"Wanted Dead or Alive" by Bon Jovi
"Broken Wings" by Mr. Mister

just to name a few

1. Mathew- John Denver
2. Tie a Yellow Ribbon Round the old Oak Tree - Tony Orlando and Dawn
3. Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
4. Blue Collar Man - Styx
5. Godzilla - Blue Oyster Cult
6. Low Rider - War
7. You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet - BTO
8. Fly Like an Eagle - Steve Miller Band
9. All By Myself - Eric Carmen
10. Dust in the wind, Point of No Return, Carry on my wayward son - Kansas
11. Boston's First album - Boston :cool:

Any Fats Domino
Hank Williams Sr.
Lynn Anderson
Donna Fargo
Loretta Lynn
Patsy Cline
The Oldies but Goodies collection
My mom used to put these records {yes, I said records :eek:)
on when we would clean on the weekend. Now, I have a turntable {that was a really funny story when the boy at Circuit City had to figure out what I was talking about }and all my moms records!!

texasgirl - thats a word I haven't heard of in a while - turntable.

I still have mine, but the needle needs replacing. Not sure if they are still available. :ohmy:

Captain & the Kid by Jimmy Buffett ... reminds me so much of my dad and little me...
The Sign by Ace of Base ... One song that stood out at the skater's party after 94 European Championships in Copenhagen... My fave skater smiled at me briefly while we were all dancing to this song...
38.gif

Saturday Night by Whigfield ... One of our favourite party song with a line dance to go with it while I was in Spain...
ParkLife by Blur ... this song really open up the landscape of real London, one of my favourite cities, before my eyes every time I hear it... It definetely breathes the life of that city!!
Something Stupid by Robbie Williams & Nicole Kidman ... Cris and I did this on Karaoke in one party we went...I ended up doing the leading melody(Robbie's part) though as Cris was singing a little off key :-p it was great fun!!:rolleyes:
Mon Amour Tokyo by Pizziccato 5 ... One of my best ever friend, a little ice skating boy was for some reason obsessed with Japanese Language. He found this CD and happily sang along all the time... so much so that I still remember the lyrics!

And many 80's songs I liked while growing up, Erasure, Depeche Mode, Cure, New Order, Elvis Costello, and ah, don't forget Rick Astley!!:mrgreen:

I know there are many many more... but these are the few just came to my mind right now...

Last edited:
So funny that this thread should come up right now. Just the other day I was thinking of this record that I used to listed to in my grandparents house. I have no idea who it was by or even what genre of music it was, but the name of the song was "The White Buffalo" and I listened to it over and over again when I was very young. I think I wore the record out and it broke eventually. I would love to find out who it was by so I could track it down and listen to it again so if anyone has any ideas I would be forever grateful!

I also remember listening to "Our House" by CSN at my grandparents house must the same way as I listened to "The White Buffalo". Those are some great memories!

aussie girl said:
texasgirl - thats a word I haven't heard of in a while - turntable.

I still have mine, but the needle needs replacing. Not sure if they are still available. :ohmy:

:LOL: I know. The kid that was helping us, scratched his head and said " a what?" when we said we wanted a record player:ROFLMAO:
When we finally found one, it had dust on it:ohmy: :LOL: He had to really look to find the hookups that would work with the stereo we also bought. I had to have it, though and dh knew it. I have over 100 records still:wacko: It's fun to listen to them, the sound is sound different from a cd or a tape.
Now, if I could just find some 8 tracks, hubby found a 8 track player:LOL:

GB, I just found this... could this be your song?

White Buffalo
© 1976 Rod MacDonald, Blue Flute Music (ASCAP)

They say you've got to lose before you can win
they say you've got to choose before you can give in
and you've got to cut loose to get back again
and it's a long way back home

they say you've got to fall before you can land
they say you've got to crawl before you can stand
and you've got to lose it all to get what you planned

(chorus)
and it's a long way, a long way back home
when you're standing on some place you've never known
and I might see you where the rivers flow
like me you're looking for white buffalo

they say you've got to die before you can live
they say you've got to cry before you can give
and you've got to say goodbye to get back again

they say you've got to seed what you're going to grow
they say you've got to need what you're going to let go
anf you've got to believe what you're going to know

(chorus)

so I say to you farewell for we will meet again
in the hottest flames of **** I could only call you friend
and when you hear that final bell, do not ask whose round you're in
till you've found your way back home

I can't be totally sure, but I don't think so. Thank you so much anyway for finding this so quickly for me :)

I have way too many songs that stick out and bring back at the weirdest times the memories associated with those songs. I can hear a song and the tears come, or the giigles, or what ever was there. I cant believe urmaniac had said Ace of Base...OMG.....another around that time was SNAP......When I was growing up I had to listen to this one record we had...on the paper in the center was the brightest swirls and a colorful turkey...could have been a peacock for all i know though. Years later did I only find out that it was ABBA......the list could go on and on......

Thanks for starting the thread though....now Ill have to have my songs going all day!!!

tancowgirl2000 said:
OMG.....another around that time was SNAP!!

Yeah!! SNAP!! Our new Body Combat routine uses "Rhythm is a dancer".... the first time we did this I got too excited and carried away I fell on my bum on our jump kick...:LOL:

Rhythm is a Dancer!!!! I listened to that song over and over till one day we were all partying and Seths Dad...loser that he was and is said "If I hear that song ONE more time Im gonna SNAP that f'in CD!" Well me being the smarty pants I was ok am he came out of where they were jamming...like he could have heard it over that racket anyways, grabbed it out of the player and well SNAP went SNAP! I was SO mad!!! Ironic, guess I should have KNown he'd actually do it but it was fun to goad him on!

GB said:
I have no idea who it was by or even what genre of music it was, but the name of the song was "The White Buffalo" and I listened to it over and over again when I was very young.

GB, when was that? :mrgreen:

hmm.. there are lots of songs that bring back memories...

Billy Joel - Uptown girl : much older than '89 but still loaden with memories of that time..
Petshop Boys - Go west : from the time I left school...
REM - almost everything... REM is the music for me when I feel down...
Robbie Williams - Feel : great song performed at his 2003 Tour.. it was soooo wonderful...
Reamon - Super Girl : Franks & mine song.. :wub:
*hach* and sooo much more...

tancowgirl2000 said:
Rhythm is a Dancer!!!! I listened to that song over and over till one day we were all partying and Seths Dad...loser that he was and is said "If I hear that song ONE more time Im gonna SNAP that f'in CD!" Well me being the smarty pants I was ok am he came out of where they were jamming...like he could have heard it over that racket anyways, grabbed it out of the player and well SNAP went SNAP! I was SO mad!!! Ironic, guess I should have KNown he'd actually do it but it was fun to goad him on!

:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: Yey Tanis!! Wasn't it too far off that period when Andre Agassi was saying in one of his Cannon CM, "Attitude is everything"??

I think my neighbour must have been tempted to do the same thing with my Ace of Base CD, but they restrained themselves because they owed me one, I hooked up their cable to their VCR and TV for them before:LOL:

ok...you guys already know I'm over 50...so don't laugh!!!!!

The Way We Were..
The Impossible Dream
My Way
Most "old country" tunes...especially Patsy Cline
My favorite xmas song...Oh Holy Night
And my all time favorite "How Great Thou Art"

KAYLINDA said:
My favorite xmas song...Oh Holy Night

Yeah!! It is my favourite Christmas song, too... such a ethereal tune!! Charlotte Church did a beautiful rendition of it...

urmaniac13 said:
Yeah!! SNAP!! Our new Body Combat routine uses "Rhythm is a dancer".... the first time we did this I got too excited and carried away I fell on my bum on our jump kick...:LOL:

I like that song have done the robot to it and Street Dancing ! Fast Paced song ! I like the New York Mix version ! :ohmy:

Wow - so many great songs and memories here.

GB - I did a quick search on my music program and came up with 2 possibilities...
Ted Nugent - Great White Buffalo
Rin Tin Tin - The White Buffalo
Probably right out of left field, as I've never heard of the song, sorry.

Mentioning grandparents also brought back another memory...
When I was about 8 or 9, my (late) Grandmother gave my Dad the Bing Crosby - White Christmas album for Christmas. No sooner was it unwrapped, than it was on the record player. It was on repeat for about 4 loops before being turned off for the day.

Now whenever I hear any of the songs from that album, the tears well up (for sentimental reasons). It makes for embarrasing Christmas shopping at the mall. lol.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom