Soothing yourself - What do you do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bike ride to the beach. or kayaking with my stupid dog to this remote island. Seems im the only one who goes there so i get a lot of thinking and relaxing when i go there.

Bike ride to the beach. or kayaking with my stupid dog to this remote island. Seems im the only one who goes there so i get a lot of thinking and relaxing when i go there.
Wow, this sounds awesome, Larry! What is the little island like? That is definitely my idea of soothing. Do you take food or drink or music or do you just go there and enjoy what is there?

For me, if I can get away to the coast and relax on the beach, it will soothe away any worries or cares I might have. If I can't get away, I find sewing or reading or knitting does the trick as long as I can get my kids to leave me alone for a few hours.

FM you have the key, alone time!
I like to cook, walk, knit, read, really anything without being interrupted for juice!!

FM you have the key, alone time!
I like to cook, walk, knit, read, really anything without being interrupted for juice!!
I don't know what it is but my tolerance for being interrupted is wearing thin. I almost never watch tv anymore because it drives me nuts to be interrupted so that I miss at least a quarter of the show. Cooking - Fisher thinks the moment I step foot in the kitchen, it's for the sole purpose of getting him whatever he desires! How do you do it, Suzie?

Well, I would normally paddle out and ride some waves, but as I am in NOVA now...I guess I just like to curl up with a nice bottle of bourbon.

LOL!!!!! YOU"RE ME!!!! I dont do it is how!!!!
I hate making dinner half the time.... I cannot get in my kitchen without both Nathan and CHristina pulling up a chair to "help" aka fight, grab stuff, beg for snacks, dump water all over the counter with measuring cups.
DH will sit to watch a show recorded on the DVR after dinner and before the kids go to bed. I do dishes instead and tell him not to delete it, because I know I wont get to see but 4 min at a time without hitting pause. I could go on. And on. and on.

LOL!!!!! YOU"RE ME!!!! I dont do it is how!!!!
I hate making dinner half the time.... I cannot get in my kitchen without both Nathan and CHristina pulling up a chair to "help" aka fight, grab stuff, beg for snacks, dump water all over the counter with measuring cups.
DH will sit to watch a show recorded on the DVR after dinner and before the kids go to bed. I do dishes instead and tell him not to delete it, because I know I wont get to see but 4 min at a time without hitting pause. I could go on. And on. and on.
Whew! I thought it was just poor parenting skills/low tolerance levels on my part! But I think it's clear we need a vacation, don't you think?

I watch Finding Nemo snuggled up with my favorite blankey. (no I don't have kids!!)

Exercise, either a fast long walk or an hour of yoga always helps sooth my mood.

Baking, but then I pig out and feel guilty so I don't bake often anymore!

Taking my fabulous adorable doggy for a long walk around her favorite park, or when I'm home I take her to the beach and let her run around chasing the birds.

Viewing my fish tanks, cooking, afternoon naps, eating, yard work, or a glass of bubbly!

I don't know what it is but my tolerance for being interrupted is wearing thin. I almost never watch tv anymore because it drives me nuts to be interrupted so that I miss at least a quarter of the show. Cooking - Fisher thinks the moment I step foot in the kitchen, it's for the sole purpose of getting him whatever he desires! How do you do it, Suzie?
Terry,
hard isn't it when kids get to the point where mommy is there gopher? I let that begin here too, but after about a week of it..I decided no more..I had three of them on my tail all day wanting juice, m and m's, one taught the others how to open the refrigerator and then the fun began...So, we got a lock for the refrigerator and a small table with chairs, we got books, puzzles, and dvd's they were alowed to pick one and then I showed them the timer...they were told unless someone broke his neck they were NOT to ask me for anything..I kept a tray of goodies, cut apples,carrots, cheese,crackers, pretzels, things they love plus sipy cups of iced juice..they could only ask for me if they needed the bathroom ..It took about a week til they learned and I was always right there, but it allowed me to prep some things for dinner..or bake cookies and they knew they were in for a treat when the cookies or whatever cooled..But it gave me a chance to just enjoy watching them without them realizing it, plus I could rest or get a few things done.. They learned if they gave me my space and just played or sat and watched, they got teated, if not they got zip...I'd rather teach them this way then to resent their little voices in my ear..To me there is nothing sweeter than little ones voices when they are happy..This also got them to rely on each other..You would love watching Ethan help Livie put on her shirt..Now at 2 she dresses herself and puts her socks and shoes on all by herself and on the right feet..
YES! Teach them to respect your rights and you respect that they do it and give back..You will never feel resentment when you grow tired at the end of the day, you will just feel a great love.
kadesma:)

Terry,
hard isn't it when kids get to the point where mommy is there gopher? I let that begin here too, but after about a week of it..I decided no more..I had three of them on my tail all day wanting juice, m and m's, one taught the others how to open the refrigerator and then the fun began...So, we got a lock for the refrigerator and a small table with chairs, we got books, puzzles, and dvd's they were alowed to pick one and then I showed them the timer...they were told unless someone broke his neck they were NOT to ask me for anything..I kept a tray of goodies, cut apples,carrots, cheese,crackers, pretzels, things they love plus sipy cups of iced juice..they could only ask for me if they needed the bathroom ..It took about a week til they learned and I was always right there, but it allowed me to prep some things for dinner..or bake cookies and they knew they were in for a treat when the cookies or whatever cooled..But it gave me a chance to just enjoy watching them without them realizing it, plus I could rest or get a few things done.. They learned if they gave me my space and just played or sat and watched, they got teated, if not they got zip...I'd rather teach them this way then to resent their little voices in my ear..To me there is nothing sweeter than little ones voices when they are happy..This also got them to rely on each other..You would love watching Ethan help Livie put on her shirt..Now at 2 she dresses herself and puts her socks and shoes on all by herself and on the right feet..
YES! Teach them to respect your rights and you respect that they do it and give back..You will never feel resentment when you grow tired at the end of the day, you will just feel a great love.
kadesma:)
You are so wise, CJ, and thanks for reminding me that our little ones need us to teach them to show us the respect we show them. They really do want to please us and to behave in a way that makes us proud. My problem is that recently I have let things slide in that department rather than taking the time to set them up to help themselves. And really, I'm not doing them any favors in the long run by acting as a servant to them. I especially like your idea of preparing a tray of snacks in the morning that Fisher can get for himself - he loves being a big boy so I think it will please him greatly.

And thank you for being such a good friend. I don't know what I'd do without ya'll.
Terry

Listening to my little buddy at school talk to me about some of the things he likes to do, getting a hug or a hand shake from them.

At home, I listen to soft relaxing slow music at night, watching the sun set in the Western sky and finding a good movie to watch either on VHS or DVD.

Back
Top Bottom