SOS cleaning

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
As I mentioned in a different thread I had 45 pounds of fish go back in the fridge, it's also leaked the fish blood all over the kitchen. We've cleaned everything, but the kitchen smells as if something died in it. What can I do? It is the most repulsive, horible and digusting smell I've ever smelled. We did the obvious; burn the smelly candle, sprayed air freshener. What else can we do?:(:(:(

Thank you. I'm afraid I'll have to move cabinets. I think the blood went underneath them. Oh my ...

Charley,

Try this solution. It will clean disinfect and deodorize. Safe to use on wood cabinets, tiles, floors. Test an inconspicuous spot. You might have to reapply.

Use a large bucket and premix the cleaning solution. If you have a 2 gallon fabric softener container, would be even better.You'll need a spray bottle. I make up this solution and keep it stored for later use. Just fill the spray bottle and go :)

1 Cup Borax ( 20 mule team )
1 Cup ammonia, do not mix ammonia and bleach together.

Add the cleaners to the bucket. Then add 2 gallons of water. Mix it well. Shake the jug well before refilling the bottles. If you need to clean area carpets, add 1 cup of fabric softener to the solution. Carpets smell great after wards.

Good luck.

Munky.

Thank you. I washed everything with Clorax, per above. But like i said, I think the blood got under the cabinets in the kitchen and/or also maybe it is inside the refrigerator. You know som of them have those pans inside for spills. It is absolutelly horible. My wife should have killed me, i sure deserve it. she told me toleave it in the freezer, but I was going to cook it, but because I was in so much pain after falling down, I completely forgot about it.

Not good, I was able to pull fridge out and get in the back of it, but it was clean there. I can only assume that I was right the blood did get under cabinets and slowly is degradating there. Question is how long before it is completely dried out and stop stinking. It is pretty bad still now.

These might help
pACE3-6287958dt.jpg

Charlie what kind of cabinets do you have? You might be able to remove (carefully!) the kick plate so you can clean under the cabinets. Can you snap a pic of them?

The kick plate is secured from inside, it is screwed from inside. I instaled the cabinets my self.

And you didn't install a fish blood reservoir? What kind of cabinet maker are you Charlie ;).

The kick plate is secured from inside, it is screwed from inside. I instaled the cabinets my self.

So I assume you can't take the floor of the cabinets out? I would cut the floor out (or maybe just a small hole first) to take a peek. Then you can always put a piece of luan down over the floor. Much better than having to pull the cabinets up!

Are you sure the odor isn't coming from the inner parts of the refrigerator? The reason I ask is that lightening struck at the farm house and knocked the fridge out. We weren't there for about 2 weeks afterward and didn't know it until we arrived to a terrible stench. Dh took everything out and couldn't get rid of the odor - we finally threw away the fridge and bought another one. I hope there is a more simple solution than this for you. We don't keep stuff in there anymore when we leave except in jars.

I am afraid Licia, you might be right as I mention above this might be the problem. I wonder if that smell will ever goes away, I hope it will, because to remove the fridge I would have to remove all the cabinets, not just bottom ones. This kitchen is so small there is not even enough room to pull fridge out.

I am afraid Licia, you might be right as I mention above this might be the problem. I wonder if that smell will ever goes away, I hope it will, because to remove the fridge I would have to remove all the cabinets, not just bottom ones. This kitchen is so small there is not even enough room to pull fridge out.

Well, I was going to suggest putting the fridge in a different area to test where the smell was coming from. Hard to imagine a kitchen that small.

Last edited:
The only 'inner parts' of refrigerators I have owned has been a drain tube that drains into a pan underneath the refrigerator. The liquid in such pan is supposed to evaporate due to heat from the heat exchange / condenser coils.

Back
Top Bottom