SOS Need help finding an adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msmofet

Chef Extraordinaire
I need an adapter that has an Ethernet plug (male) on one end and a telephone jack (female) on the other end. I want to send faxes from my computer using the fax program that came on my computer.

It is so silly that they took the ability to plug a telephone line into a computer tower away but have the program to send faxes on the computer. I used to use the program (I think it was called phone tools or something like that. It may be called fax services now. I'm not sure of the name but it's there) all the time but then my computer died and the newer version of windows didn't have the fax program any more. When I got my new computer with a new version of windows the capability to fax was back BUT the telephone jack on the tower is gone!!
Can someone please tell me what this adapter is called and where I can purchase it. I'm thinking Radio Shack? Or Amazon or ...
Thanks in advance.

What you need sounds like it might be found in a cable adapter. You need something that goes from a male rj-45 to a female rj-11.

I think this is it: https://www.amazon.com/URBEST-Female-Telephone-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00RX8I0PY

Although, the pinouts (the way that the wires in the connectors are laid out) maybe be slightly different depending on what is being connected to what.

That's the exact one I have in my Amazon cart. Just wanted to know if I was right. So do you think it will work?

That's the exact one I have in my Amazon cart. Just wanted to know if I was right. So do you think it will work?
If you are thinking you can plug this into the ethernet port on your computer and run a line to a wall phone jack, then no. This won't work.

I actually ran this past one of our network engineers, and what he suggested is something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Robotics-56K...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=4DRWYYFDJBH3RGK0105J

Now I'll include a disclaimer that I haven't used one of these myself, so I have no firsthand experience. But according to my colleague, it should absolutely work with Windows Fax & Scan.

When I was recently in the home purchase process, I had to send several faxes to my mortgage broker. I used an online service called Ring Central that sent faxes on my behalf. It worked well.

Thank you for the information Steve. That looks good.

I haven't sent a fax in almost 10 years. I have a printer/scanner/copier that allows me to scan a document and send it as an email attachment. That's all I've needed.

There are several official documents I have had to send by actual fax not email. I had a printer that was all in one including fax but am replacing it with one that has no fax feature. So I don't want fax machine that is a mono-tasker taking up room and the cost to buy one. Using the PC to multi task sending a fax is the solution at low cost. The jack Steve suggested is only $17.00.

But thanks for the info.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom