"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 08-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Cook

Sour turns sweet "magic"

has anyone here tried these berries that turns flavor on its head?

Within minutes of consuming the berries, guests were devouring lime wedges as if they were candy. Straight lemon juice went down like lemonade, and goat cheese tasted as if it was "covered in powdered sugar," said one astonished partygoer. A rich stout beer seemed "like a milkshake," said another.

After languishing in obscurity since the 1970s, miracle fruit, or Synsepalum dulcificum, is enjoying a small renaissance. In-the-know food lovers from Hawaii to Finland are seeking out the berry as a culinary curiosity. In Japan, it's freeze-dried and canned or sold in tablets. Some restaurants there have featured it as an avant-garde dessert, including at Tokyo's Mandarin Oriental hotel. So has the Four Seasons Resort in Palm Beach, Fla., where two miracle-fruit shrubs are planted in the hotel's garden.

this is a quote from a website that i will post a link to later but i am to new here to do so. this sounds wild but what if you get permenently effected? any info or reply is welcome.

Old 08-26-2008, 10:23 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
This was brought up awhile back. I don't have any personal experience. I just know they are EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #3
Cook

thanks for the reply

sorry if this is a boring repost for everyone. i still would like to hear about any first hand experience with these things. i'm new here so i would like to send a big friendly hello to those who post here at dc. i have a pretty good background in general cooking and have many friends with unique knowlege in cusine (such as vietnamese). so send me any questions as i will have a ton of my own. thanks again.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:58 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

I didn't mean for your post to sound boring. In the other post no one knew anything either. It's very interesting!! If one was sitting in front of me I'd try it - I guess I'm not willing to spend what, somewhere between $1 and $2 per berry plus S&H for the effect to last somewhere between 30 minutes and 2 hours. Maybe one day it will be more readily available. I really hope it is!!! From what I've read it can do a number on some foods.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:01 PM   #5
Cook

agreed

the price seems steep but i'm not sure i would want any long term effects from it. yet if i could eat a lemon to satisfy a sweet tooth mabey i could get in shape the lazy way.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:16 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Well...maybe we need to try to find a berry where when you eat it it burns up 4,000 calories at a time! THAT'S something I would be interested in.

THAT'S the lazy way...I'm lazier than you apparently!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:26 PM   #7
Cook

all of it sounds safer than finfin or whatever that prescribed nonsense was. i'm thinking lapband and moving to a part of the u.s. with more hills.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:34 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

So...are you proposing these as a "diet pill"? OK, so they might make sour things taste sweet but they make other foods taste even better!!!!! That spells a problem, doesn't it? A few lemons to satisfy a sweet tooth is probably not going to help someone lose weight...only burning more calories than consuming is. A pill, or a berry in this case, is not the answer to losing weight...it never will be.................wait...unless it's that berry that burns up 4,000 calories at a time!

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 PM   #9
Cook

losing perspective

you are right, nothing is a good option to real exercise and eating well. i was just looking at ineteresting angles to this wierd berry. i guess eating a bowl of goat cheese like icecream really wouldn't get anyone fit. still a wierd concept to completely change the taste pallet.
Old 08-27-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

And like you mentioned - - - is there a long-term "condition" we don't know about yet? Food tastes pretty good to me as is - - - - I'd hate for it to taste better I too wish someone would come along that actually tried one...or twelve.