Sp Bee or 5th grade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skilletlicker

Head Chef
As I type this there is the National Spelling Bee and a new show called Are You Smarter Than a Fifth Grader. Which, if either, are you watching? Are your children watching with you?

I know the spelling bee is going on and have seen only one episode of Jeff Foxworthy's television program. Fortunately or unfortunately, Buck and I no longer have any children at home.

Also, when the weather is like it is now, we spend, literally, hours on our front porch in the evenings. We see hardly any TV until the fall as a result.

What we saw of Foxworthy's program, was entertaining, informative and should be watched family-style. Made me wonder how many parents could answer the questions. Truly enjoyed what we saw.

It doesn't get any better than watching the sun go down while sitting with your honey on the porch.

. . .

Except maybe watching a light go on above a small head.

Both are incomparable blessings.

i've seen the "are you smarter" show.

all i can say is they must look pretty hard to find such dumb contestants. and i don't mean the 5th graders.

Yep, skilletlicker, all of the above. Plus...we have been treated to the beauties of our lightning bugs. They're everywhere and we're feasting our eyes,

We've also taken our "boom" box outside and have John Hartford playing in the background. Fiddles, banjoes, lightning bugs, each other. Doesn't get much better!

k.t.e., did you know that southern lightning bugs have a "drawl".

scientists have discovered that the same species of lightning bugs that exist down south actually flash at a different, slightly slower rate than those found up north.

and they prefer country music.

ok, j/k about the music.

Katie and Buck,
I am in awe of those spelling bee kids and I think their pictures should hang in honor in all classrooms corresponding to their grade.

Do you ever add any Doc Watson into your John Hartford mixes?

We're with you on the spelling bee kids. Yep, they should have a place of honor.

Guess what? When I was in elementary school, I did NOT miss a single spelling word in 8 years. Wow! That and 25 cents got me a cup of coffee. Still, spelling is one of my pet peeves.

Yes, we add Doc Watson. Have some of his albums. Great in the quiet of an evening.

I've seen "are you smarter then" and i like it. some of the questions are really simple and you just wonder how do you not know that? (some of them are like lawyers too:rolleyes:).
love spelling b's (watching them that is!);)

I didn't see the spelling bee although I do like to watch it. We do watch "Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader." I couldn't believe the guy last night lost on the first question, which was about the song "God Bless America." They let his wife take over (first time they have done that) and she wasn't much better, and she was a doctor. She lucked into $25,000. The kids on the show are smart but they certainly couldn't compete on the spelling bee! They are atrocious spellers. They had Missouri spelled Missouree, Missoorii, and a few other ways.

:) Barbara

never thought I'd read about John Hartford and Doc Watson on a thread like this. I inadvertently turned my dad into a Doc wino, and now he's on to Bill Monroe and all the rest.

Katie, may I also suggest Norman Blake for your listening enjoyment?

Back
Top Bottom