"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-29-2014, 03:42 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Spaghetti sauce ingredients

I have been making my own spaghetti sauce for years, I have always used fresh herbs, when I could find them, always fresh veggies, onions, peppers, garlic etc; but for some reason i always used canned mushrooms.

I have been reading of late that using metal cans is not such a great idea so I switched to using fresh mushrooms. The initial taste was wonderful and I have to admit I felt rather dumb at not doing this earlier.

When I make my spaghetti sauce I always make at least a double amount so I can freeze some, leaving just enough sauce for that night and tomorrow (as spaghetti is always better the next day! not sure why but to me it is). When I took this batch out still tasted fine but the mushrooms well they left a lot to be be desired. I am not even sure how to describe them they weren't smushy because they were intact, they just didn't taste like anything and they were tough, no longer delicate and light I ended up picking them out of the whole batch!

My question, should I just go back to the canned mushrooms, (it's not spaghetti sauce without mushrooms!) should I saute the mushrooms on the side and then add them in? I could add fresh mushrooms to the newly unfrozen sauce but the mushrooms will miss being part of the sauce for the hour or so they cooked.

Any Suggestions I would really appreciate it!

Old 04-29-2014, 03:48 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

When I make a sauce, I sweat the onion, garlic and mushrooms (and any other fresh veggies like peppers) in olive oil first. Then I go on to adding the other ingredients and finishing the sauce.

Fresh mushrooms will add a great flavor to the sauce. After cooking in the sauce, they will change in texture. If you don't care for the texture of cooked fresh mushrooms, you can chop them in the food processor before adding them to the pan so they aren't as noticeable.

Old 04-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #3
Master Chef

I do the same as Andy, but I wanted to add that if you like canned mushrooms in your sauce, go for it. It's your sauce.
I use a lot of dried Porchini mushrooms in addition to saute' fresh ones, as I don't care for canned mushrooms.

By the way, welcome to Discuss Cooking!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

I also add dry porcini with the canned tomato and wine. It really boosts the flavor.
Old 04-29-2014, 06:57 PM   #5
Master Chef

Again, I'm with Andy about the wine. I always add drinkable red wine to my sauce. I don't drink red wine, but it must be good enough for Steve to drink. It makes all the difference in a superior sauce.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

When I freeze sauce with mushrooms they develop a rubbery texture.

I find that if I mince the mushrooms I get the flavor and don't notice the texture change.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:39 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by vickieg View Post
I have been making my own spaghetti sauce for years, I have always used fresh herbs, when I could find them, always fresh veggies, onions, peppers, garlic etc; but for some reason i always used canned mushrooms.

I have been reading of late that using metal cans is not such a great idea so I switched to using fresh mushrooms. The initial taste was wonderful and I have to admit I felt rather dumb at not doing this earlier.

When I make my spaghetti sauce I always make at least a double amount so I can freeze some, leaving just enough sauce for that night and tomorrow (as spaghetti is always better the next day! not sure why but to me it is). When I took this batch out still tasted fine but the mushrooms well they left a lot to be be desired. I am not even sure how to describe them they weren't smushy because they were intact, they just didn't taste like anything and they were tough, no longer delicate and light I ended up picking them out of the whole batch!

My question, should I just go back to the canned mushrooms, (it's not spaghetti sauce without mushrooms!) should I saute the mushrooms on the side and then add them in? I could add fresh mushrooms to the newly unfrozen sauce but the mushrooms will miss being part of the sauce for the hour or so they cooked.

Any Suggestions I would really appreciate it!
If it's the texture you don't like try making a finely chopped duxelles with the onions. This would alsoadd the flavour of the mushrooms to the sauce.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:39 AM   #8
Executive Chef

I think making a "mother sauce" and freezing it in meal size portions is the best route. Then add fresh ingredients when using it for a meal. Saute the fresh ingredients and add the sauce. Use a spice grinder to finely grind dry porcinis and you will get that "umami" hit to your dish.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
I think making a "mother sauce" and freezing it in meal size portions is the best route. Then add fresh ingredients when using it for a meal.
I think this is a good strategy. Freeze the base sauce and add whatever additional ingredients you want when you're turning it into a meal. This also gives you the flexibility to use your homemade sauce for things other than spaghetti.
Old 04-30-2014, 11:38 AM   #10
Sous Chef

The kids in my family won't eat anything with fresh mushrooms because the mushrooms "squeak" when they eat them. So when I want fresh mushrooms in spaghetti sauce, I saute' them, then chopped them in the food processor and add to the sauce.

Tags
sauce, spaghetti