Spam and e-mail address?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
How is it possible, how and where do they find the information? I just got an e-mail, the Spam e-mail, where they call me by my name. The e-mail has completely different name. No where in the settings do I show my real name. The e-mail is attached to a different fake e-mail that doesn't have my real name either. I don't understand how and where were they able to obtain my real name?

Did you sign up for something online that you had to enter your name? Like membership to another site or forum? I know that's how I usually end up with those.

I really do not think so. I go by Charlie and my email is also has that name in it. And I do not mention my real name anywhere.

Charlie being almost computer illiterate I cannot tell you how it is done.

But it is not that tough, at least according to folks I have talked to.

People can find out almost anything about us. Sorry but that is the nasty truth.

And believe me I don't like it either.

How is it possible, how and where do they find the information? I just got an e-mail, the Spam e-mail, where they call me by my name. The e-mail has completely different name. No where in the settings do I show my real name. The e-mail is attached to a different fake e-mail that doesn't have my real name either. I don't understand how and where were they able to obtain my real name?

read this Howstuffworks "How Internet Cookies Work"

and this Howstuffworks "How Spam Works"

EVERYONE should read these. i have to deal with this as part of my job every day. SPAM sux. especially the bad ones. but i refuse to look and screen over emails because i dont want to deal with the bad ones.

Hard to say/figure out where they come from. Noticed when I dumped AOL, I didn't recieve any more Spam.

A few safeguards:

Don't open emails from anyone you don't know

Don't click on any links w/i the emails
(Sometimes there are links to Opt out - don't know if this is a good or bad thing - I opt out or mark as Spam)

If a friend has forwarded you an email with lots of folks from their address book, as them to only send YOU an email

Don't fill out questionnaires - this will generate tons of unsolicited garbage

Don't give your email address out to anyone, except close friends or business associates

Get another email account - i.e. hotmail

If you receive junk/spam email, mark it as spam & block their address

Run Ccleaner, spy bot & Ad aware

ETA: If you key in your personal info (email, address etc), check there is a yellow lock on the bottom of the screen - i.e. secure.

Last edited:
Hard to say/figure out where they come from. Noticed when I dumped AOL, I didn't recieve any more Spam.

Probably the most common source of e-mail addresses, however, is a "dictionary" search of the e-mail servers of large e-mail hosting companies like MSN, AOL or Hotmail. In the article Hotmail: A Spammer's Paradise?, the author describes the process:
[SIZE=-1] A dictionary attack utilizes software that opens a connection to the target mail server and then rapidly submits millions of random e-mail addresses. Many of these addresses have slight variations, such as "jdoe1abc@hotmail.com" and "jdoe2def@hotmail.com." The software then records which addresses are "live," and adds those addresses to the spammer's list. These lists are typically resold to many other spammers. [/SIZE]​

Back
Top Bottom