"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-23-2012, 01:15 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Speaker ideas for TV

My new TV is High Definition with a flat screen. The sound is lousy when it comes to background music. I'd like to get a pair of decent, but cheap cordless speakers.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for?

If necessary, I can get speakers with cords, but if I can get better sound and still be cordless I'd rather do that.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 01:27 PM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
What tv/model. You will more than likely have to get a receiver, and speaker set up, not JUST speakers. Either way, to run wireless, you will still need a to run transceiver, though, I know the Samsung 7.1 I have has a chip slot in the back to broadcast the rear set wirelessly.

Old 07-23-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Thanks, Tatt. I checked out the Walmart speakers and ordered a cheap set. I like their reviews, and found where someone had asked the question I wanted to about if the speakers would work on a TV. All 9 people said yes, and that they liked it. With tax and shipping $13.xx. If I don't like them it's easy to return to the store and get a refund.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:08 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

As a follow up, the speakers arrived (2 days!!), they're not cordless, but that's okay. They work like a charm. I had thought the mute function of my remote wasn't going to work with them, but they do. Not bad for $13!

Old 07-25-2012, 01:58 PM   #5
Master Chef

Yeah, you pretty much need to get external speakers for flat screen tv's. They can only fit tiny laptop speakers into these cabinets. As a matter of fact, many external laptop speakers work with these tv's......cheapest way to go instead of buying a whole theater sound system for your new tv.
Old 07-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

When I first started looking around, all I could find were expensive ones, the lowest price being $70. That's when I looked at Walmart. The speakers can be used for a computer, in fact that's what their packaging said, but after reading all the reviews and questions about the product (Walmart has an extensive question and review section for every product.), I went ahead and ordered the cheap one.

The sound is perfect and all I had to do was plug it into the headphone jack.

I'm thrilled!

Old 07-25-2012, 10:03 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Hmmm...eyeing the laptop speakers I bought and don't use...
Old 07-25-2012, 10:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I have some really nice Bose speakers in the basement, got them pre-computer, and they have the old-style wire that you twist with the little black and red post thingies. Wonder if I can replace the wiring with the plug-ins for a flat screen TV?
Old 07-25-2012, 11:35 PM   #9
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I have some really nice Bose speakers in the basement, got them pre-computer, and they have the old-style wire that you twist with the little black and red post thingies. Wonder if I can replace the wiring with the plug-ins for a flat screen TV?
You could adapt the ends to RCA style plugs/jacks, easily. But, those speakers might require more than the in-box speaker amplifier to push them. Do you know what series they are?

When OP started the thread, I wasn't thinking of basically just computer/external speakers, but proper speakers/theater style sound, that amplifies audio output, especially with the wireless requirement.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:45 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

like tatt said, you can buy a plug (aka an adapter) on which you unscrew the cover, attach the red and black wires to the little screw or solder terminals (you may need to experiment which wires go on which posts or connections. it's one way or the other) and viola', ypu have tv speakers.

go to radio shack, or best buy, or a walmart with a semi-intelligent staff with the info on what audio outputs your tv has and what speakers you're using, and they'll help you get the correct connector.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote