Speaker ideas for TV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zhizara

Chef Extraordinaire
Moderator Emeritus
My new TV is High Definition with a flat screen. The sound is lousy when it comes to background music. I'd like to get a pair of decent, but cheap cordless speakers.

Can anyone tell me what I should look for?

If necessary, I can get speakers with cords, but if I can get better sound and still be cordless I'd rather do that.

What tv/model. You will more than likely have to get a receiver, and speaker set up, not JUST speakers. Either way, to run wireless, you will still need a to run transceiver, though, I know the Samsung 7.1 I have has a chip slot in the back to broadcast the rear set wirelessly.

Thanks, Tatt. I checked out the Walmart speakers and ordered a cheap set. I like their reviews, and found where someone had asked the question I wanted to about if the speakers would work on a TV. All 9 people said yes, and that they liked it. With tax and shipping $13.xx. If I don't like them it's easy to return to the store and get a refund.

As a follow up, the speakers arrived (2 days!!), they're not cordless, but that's okay. They work like a charm. I had thought the mute function of my remote wasn't going to work with them, but they do. Not bad for $13!

Yeah, you pretty much need to get external speakers for flat screen tv's. They can only fit tiny laptop speakers into these cabinets. As a matter of fact, many external laptop speakers work with these tv's......cheapest way to go instead of buying a whole theater sound system for your new tv.

When I first started looking around, all I could find were expensive ones, the lowest price being $70. That's when I looked at Walmart. The speakers can be used for a computer, in fact that's what their packaging said, but after reading all the reviews and questions about the product (Walmart has an extensive question and review section for every product.), I went ahead and ordered the cheap one.

The sound is perfect and all I had to do was plug it into the headphone jack.

I'm thrilled!

I have some really nice Bose speakers in the basement, got them pre-computer, and they have the old-style wire that you twist with the little black and red post thingies. Wonder if I can replace the wiring with the plug-ins for a flat screen TV?

I have some really nice Bose speakers in the basement, got them pre-computer, and they have the old-style wire that you twist with the little black and red post thingies. Wonder if I can replace the wiring with the plug-ins for a flat screen TV?

You could adapt the ends to RCA style plugs/jacks, easily. But, those speakers might require more than the in-box speaker amplifier to push them. Do you know what series they are?

When OP started the thread, I wasn't thinking of basically just computer/external speakers, but proper speakers/theater style sound, that amplifies audio output, especially with the wireless requirement.

like tatt said, you can buy a plug (aka an adapter) on which you unscrew the cover, attach the red and black wires to the little screw or solder terminals (you may need to experiment which wires go on which posts or connections. it's one way or the other) and viola', ypu have tv speakers.

go to radio shack, or best buy, or a walmart with a semi-intelligent staff with the info on what audio outputs your tv has and what speakers you're using, and they'll help you get the correct connector.

TATTRAT said:
You could adapt the ends to RCA style plugs/jacks, easily. But, those speakers might require more than the in-box speaker amplifier to push them. Do you know what series they are?

When OP started the thread, I wasn't thinking of basically just computer/external speakers, but proper speakers/theater style sound, that amplifies audio output, especially with the wireless requirement.

These are Bose model 101 Music Monitors. Heh. Circa 1984.

I had gotten them for DH's birthday many years ago.

Thanks guys! May have to play around with them!

Last edited:
These are Bose model 101 Music Monitors. Heh. Circa 1984.

I had gotten them for DH's birthday many years ago.

Thanks guys! May have to play around with them!

Those are bullet proof speakers. While "big" and "unsightly" by modern BOSE standards, they are still really SOLID speakers. I am sure you could have LOADS of life left in them. If I'm not mistaken, the housing/enclosures on those are even suitable for outdoor use.

They would still certainly make a decent pair of front channel speakers.

tatt is correct that impedance matching will deliver optimal performance, but an unbalanced output, or line out, or even headphones out will work for the most part.

your speakers are 4 ohm. try fo find out from the user manual if your tv has a 4 ohm or 8 ohm output.

both will work, but if you connect 4 ohm speakers to an 8 ohm output, you could blow the cone if you crank the audio to max.

Awright, I am stoked! I remember they were top of the line in, um, 1984.

Nowadays, the chances of me blowing them out are probably not happening....

Thanks guys!

These are what I use. Cambridge SoundWorks The Soundworks II Speaker System for Computer, PC, Mac, iPod, iPhone : Promotions

41-GLMegcML._SX450_.jpg

The stands and volume control are removable and there are mounts on the back, I have them mounted to the wall with a simple screw and use paintable wire covers to hide the wires. They give a nice full sound and reproduce voices very well, which can be a problem with some speaker systems that aren't intended for TV. Music sounds good as well

The amplifier is in the subwoofer, so no receiver required.

My receiver quit working about the same time that I bought this house and I decided that I didn't want the bother or the expense of a new receiver and taking the time to run, as well as hide a bunch of surround speaker wires. This gives a nice, full sound and is nice for music, it works well for now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom