Special Request

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the list of acronyms. Had a quick look and some of them are so funny! I've cut and pasted it into a file for future reference. :)

GB said:
I don't think Goodweed (and please correct me if I am wrong Goodweed) was saying there was a problem. He was just asking a favor.

You're absolutely right GB. There is no problem. This is probably the best site I have ever been a part of. The people here are incredible. I was indeed just asking a favor.:)

I don't consider myself a prude either. But many years ago, I made up my mind to quit cursing. Like Ishbel, I only believe that the improper use of terms concerning Diety are true swear words. The remainder, including some of the most detested words in the English language are words that are insulting, degrading, or turn something great into something common and base. But as those words don't uplift, I'd rather not use them. I'm around people who swear all day long. I have been all of my life. But I don't have to be one of them. I have made a conscious choice to be different, even if it is generally seen as at best, odd.

And for those who have children among this august group, I can tell you from example that out of 4 children, who are now adults, I have two who use no foul language, and two who use minimal flul language, and one of those is trying to quit altogether.

I have to be honest and say that it was extremely easy for me to quit uttering vulgarities. It was like flipping an on/off switch. But I recognize how hard it is for others. And like I said, though I don't use the words, they float freely around in my brain and are too easily brought into consciousness, where I'd rather not have them.

Example is a powerful tool, one that is too often ignored around our peers, and especially around many children. And though every person will make their own choices, how we act definitely has an affect on those around us.

Also, if anyone slips, that's Ok. It's not like I'm perfect in anything. I too am a mere mortal, with an uncanny ability to do and say stupid things. And believe me, you don't have to swear to get yourself in trouble with words. I've been in hot water too many times to believe that.:angel:

And your responses to this have shown me once again that I am in the company of the highest caliber people on this site.:mrgreen: Thanks.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Sandyj said:
I think I know what LMAO means, I can guess ROTF. I've referred to DH, and I think I didn't say anything bad....here's the question - is there a list somewhere where you can look up what these things are supposed to mean?

Great point sandy! I have to ask my 13 year old!!! She told me what LMAO means!

I will try to be on my best behavior, but you'll have to excuse me if I slip. I tend to have the mouth of a prison inmate or lumberjack. Though online I am usually pretty good. :)

Goodweed, no problem here...When on another service we always used those acronyms espicially in the chat room, but upon finding DC I also found all these cute:LOL: :rolleyes: :sick: :pig: :angel: :wacko: , They express it all:-p and you don't have to guess what someone means:LOL:

kadesma

htc said:
I will try to be on my best behavior, but you'll have to excuse me if I slip. I tend to have the mouth of a prison inmate or lumberjack. Though online I am usually pretty good. :)

htc, I bet that you would be surprised to know that the loggers that I work with actually have better manners than most people I know and use minimal amounts of foul language. One guy even shakes my hand everytime I see him. :) Sure nobody is perfect and they may slip every once in a while when equipment breaks or something else happens. But overall most of them keep the cussing to a minimum. Sometimes, I find that around them I have to clean up my language. :)

Gotta love ya for it. One reason I fell in love with hubby was that he used to make up bizzare swear words. In recent years he's retrogressed (oh, dear, need a spell check there) and has been using the F-word a bit much ... I'm trying to remind him of one of the reasons I loved him to begin with. One was his imaginative ways of swearing. It was such fun. And the F-word is ... well, so overdone that no one is shocked. Surprised. Offended. When I met hubby, he could come out with obscenties that many didn't understand, and it was funny as all get-out. I'm trying to get him back there. Life is strange.

I understand Goodweed - another site I frequent uses MF for my friend....I constantly have to remind myself not to be shocked! I agree with you - and if I mess up I'll accept a pie as well!

I can only say I can TRY.....whats habit is habit.....it just happens, but Ill just try....ill do a little LOL instead of others.....

I think I loved my husband most when he said, "Pommes de la Rue!!!" How too diffuse a situation compared to S........t! Hey, I said he was imaginative!!!

I never thought I had a potty mouth, but do find **** on my posts, and it cracks me up. I spent most of my life in and around the military. I've learned to use hades instead of that well known world for the underworld, and other literary references. Since I write for a local paper, I try to do this anyway, and, for what it is worth, it keeps your little gray cells going. Here we go folks, how about looking for great words to use, and even better, as my hubby does, find a foreign word that isn't an obscenety (French freinds get a kick out of hearing road apples instead of m---de), because there really isn't an equivalent. You can see their minds. Pommes de la rue. Apples of the Road. What are they? Oh, they are horse poop. Oh, he's saying m--de or s--t. Let's start a trend, imaginative swearing!!! Make one up and try it on us!! Since the regular old american/english swear words have been done to death, no one is surprised or shocked by bad language any more, just tired and disgusted. If you want to emphasize something you're saying, think up something imaginative and new. Post it here when you do. Seriously, wouldn't you REALLY shock someone if you yelled "Intercourse!!" at them?

Lets actually keep this thread about what Goodweed had originally intended. He was asking a favor so that he does not have these words rattling around in his head. If we start to make this thread about alternative words to use then that will be the opposite of what he was asking. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom