"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2006, 11:00 PM   #11
Head Chef

I have to watch the Grizzly's game. If they lose any more I might have to change my avatar to the Grizzly logo, after all, anyone can show support when their team is winning.

back to the topic

I'll watch the Giada/Rachel replay at 11:00 PM CDT. How do their uniforms look?

Old 11-12-2006, 11:04 PM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
I'll watch the Giada/Rachel replay at 11:00 PM CDT. How do their uniforms look?
Giada had a nice chef's coat. Rachael was simple with just a black top. Fitting I though as Rachael is not necessarily a chef by definition. Then again, I'm not for sure Giada is either, but I have heard she is,

(well, pants, etc. but chef's tend to focus on the coat/top)

Old 11-12-2006, 11:10 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Those chef's coats serve a purpose for ANYONE who cooks in a kitchen - culinary degree or not. Whether or not they actually graduated from anywhere I still consider them both chefs by trade.

I wish I had gotten to watch the whole thing - does anyone remember how she did the drunken noodles? I just heard the part where she boiled the noodles in wine, I'm assuming a red wine.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Old 11-13-2006, 12:02 AM   #14
Head Chef

The taped delayed broadcast is just starting. I'm so exited.

No, I really am.

Really!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:38 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Send a message via ICQ to Gossie Send a message via Yahoo to Gossie
I do believe that Mario and Rachael would have won on the food alone. That being said, I think there should be a rematch because Giada AND Bobby both had a problem with the food processor. I also believe that the stove's temperature range was having a problem on the Flay/deLaurentis side too. I don't think either will complain about it, but I also think that Iron Chef America should be gracious and offer another try.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:53 AM   #16
Head Chef

This is not a sexist perspectiive even though some will surely percieve it that way. Miss Rachel and Miss Giada no more belonged on that show than I did. I don't have any feeling either way for Flay, but I did feel a little sorry for Batali.

RR's cooking skills seemed to be better than GD's but that might be because Rach's show is a documentary style, taped in long segments, and GD's is more of a Hollywood style with a lot of quick cuts and heavily emphasised camera angles.

Sadly, I wouldn't want to eat or cook with either one.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:50 AM   #17
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to BigDog Send a message via Yahoo to BigDog
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
Those chef's coats serve a purpose for ANYONE who cooks in a kitchen - culinary degree or not. Whether or not they actually graduated from anywhere I still consider them both chefs by trade.
Lesson learned. I have experienced in other professions clothing items being considered "sacred" and applied the same approach to chefwear. My apologies for assuming. Drop the "u" out of assume and you got me right now (assme).

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
I wish I had gotten to watch the whole thing - does anyone remember how she did the drunken noodles? I just heard the part where she boiled the noodles in wine, I'm assuming a red wine.
As I recall, presentation was applauded, but there was dissention for taste. I did not know any of the panel of judges this time, so I can't name who said what. I believe it was the lady that wasn't overly impressed with flavor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skilletlicker
Sadly, I wouldn't want to eat or cook with either one.
I'll take your place for either event, for both of them!

First, don't tell DW, but I think they are both very attractive! I know they are both married, and I would certainly respect that (especially since I am too!) but to have the opportunity to dine or cook with such lovely ladies? Count me in!

Second, I do like their shows and would love to try some of their recipes. One thing I notice with both is they often use prefab ingredients. Not saying that is bad, and arguably necessary for 30 minute meals, but there are others that rarely if ever use prefab ingredients. An example of what I man by prefab is a recipe of Giada's for basically italian mac & cheese using cheese tortellini for the pasta. She uses premade, frozen cheese tortellini in the recipe. Again, I'm not saying there is necessarily anything wrong with that, but it provides additional argument to the debate of the commercialization of some of the show hosts on FN.
Old 11-13-2006, 12:40 PM   #18
Executive Chef

This is fun and an eye opener:

http://www.amateurgourmet.com/the_amateur_gourmet/2006/01/what_i_can_tell.html

This on one of the comments on Amateur Gourmet's site:

Quote:
Food Network Iron Chef Make Believe? Flay should be nominated for an Emmy.
Didn't anyone else catch this?

Flay vs Tourondel battle goat cheese. The camera focuses in on Bobby Flay putting the finishing touches on one of his dishes. He's obviously sweating it to the very last second, his competitor is finished with time to spare.

You hear the female announcer say "30 seconds to go". The camera pulls away from Flay and you see (and hear) one of his sous chef's say "this is when he tell's me he needs something else". Within two seconds Bobby says "one of the dishes is missing here". Our blond sous chef comes to the rescue presenting the gnocchi dish.

The beauty of TIVO is the ability to re-play TV, and, there it is. It's obvious that Iron Chef is also as perfectly manicured for pubic consumption as are Food Network's other make believe shows.

posted by Axalady on Oct 31, 2006
Old 11-13-2006, 02:10 PM   #19
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog
Giada had a nice chef's coat. Rachael was simple with just a black top. Fitting I though as Rachael is not necessarily a chef by definition. Then again, I'm not for sure Giada is either, but I have heard she is,

(well, pants, etc. but chef's tend to focus on the coat/top)
Rachael would not be allowed in my kitchen even at home with her hair uncontrolled like it was! She didn't have to wear a chef's coat, altho the purpose ot the jacket is to protect the cook from burns on the arms, but NO ONE wants hair in their food, and her hair was going every which way but down! I didn't stick around to watch the outcome. I never watch Booby Flea, and I find Rachael offensive.
Old 11-13-2006, 02:17 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
BigDog - I know all about the "ASSUME" thing! lol Been there done that I "should" know better!

OK folks, now that we know the outcome I think this thread is over. As many of you know this is a HUGE pet peeve of mine. The FoodTV boards got closed down because of this. This board will not go there.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
Closed Thread