Spotted on our fence last week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Maverick2272

Washing Up
Shortly after we took this pic, he flew off after a bird in the next yard over, trying to nab himself some lunch. Made a good try for it, but missed:

Attachments

• Hawk.jpg
    Hawk.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 162
Very cool pic! I love birds of prey.
She sure looks fat though.

LOL she does doesn't she (Is she a guess or is there a way you could tell??) Anyway, this is the best I could get on a close up of it:

Attachments

• HawkCloser.jpg
    HawkCloser.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 163
It's can be hard to tell at times...What came to my mind when I first saw the picture was Coopers Hawk...Don't take that to the bank!! You'll go broke!!:LOL:

LOL, could be. Unfortunately our book is just a guide, only has about 200 of the most common North American birds in it so not exactly a comprehensive guide. In fact it only lists three hawks in it, I will have to turn to the Internet to find a Coopers Hawk and compare.
Pretty cool site to see though, just caught it looking out our kitchen window.

I think you are right though, UB. I looked both up and the Red Tail has a different face than this one does. The picture of the Coopers Hawk I found was almost identical to our picture. The Red Tail has rounder eyes and a longer beak, and has more grey in its feathers than brown.
Apparently your memory isn't that bad yet, LOL.

:) I'm thinking red tail but it's hard to tell unless it's flying I also think it's a juvenile which makes it harder to tell.

It's can be hard to tell at times...What came to my mind when I first saw the picture was Coopers Hawk...Don't take that to the bank!! You'll go broke!!:LOL:

Uncle Bob, I agree with you it looks like a Cooper's Hawk to me. One key identifier it the striping on the tail. Attached is a picture of a juvenile Cooper's Hawk that landed outside our Wildlife Biologist's window a couple of months ago.

Here is a great website from Cornell University for identifying birds.

All About Birds

Attachments

• PA150376c.jpg
    PA150376c.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:
We get quite a few hawks (and even the occaisional eagle) around here. When my dog got lost a few years ago, we got her home with gauges in her back. After looking at her the vet said some bird of prey decided she looked like supper (she's a rather thin JR terrier, 14 lbs at her heaviest).

When we were camped out at Vandenberg one year, a fellow camper was a hawk enthusiast. Had a couple of pet hawks and a big leather glove, and a JR terrier. He'd spend hours every day playing with them.

this "Cooper's Hawk" looks pretty darn "well-nourished" to me..............she obviously likes po'boys.........I love her arrogance........nice picture by the way...

Hmmmmmmm...are you certain it's a SHE? Is the "arrogance" a tippoff???:LOL::LOL: Maybe it's a HE with an "attitude." :mad:

I'm gettin out of here while the gettin's good!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom