Spotty The Cat Was Adopted!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FraidKnot

Washing Up
Back in October I'd seen this cat hanging around outside of my apartment. It wasn't feral, it was too friendly for that. But it was skin and bones, folks, skin and bones. Long fur all matted. After about 2 weeks of seeing this kitty running around outside, one day I was driving home and it was pouring down rain. The cat was hunkered down under one of my neighbors' cars. It came running for petting. Poor thing wasn't only starving for food but also for affection. The cat (I named him Spotty) was soaking wet.

Decision made: I went to the convenience store and bought 2 cans of cheap, stinky cat food. The owners' wife gave me a couple of styrofoam containers. Got home, spooned up some food. Looked out my front glass door; sure enough, Spotty was eating like there was never going to be food again. I scooped up Spotty (and the food) and tucked him away in my 2nd bathroom. (Much to my cat Persia's chagrin.) I used a
tinfoil pan like one uses to roast a chicken or a small turkey in for a "litterbox". Didn't stop the little stinker from taking a poop in my bathtub.:ohmy:

Anyway, I got in touch with the founder of The House of Mews, which is a rescue organization in Memphis, TN and told her about Spotty. It's a cat rescue organization completely staffed by volunteers, totally non-profit. If a cat homed there doesn't get adopted it lives its life out there. It's an old storefront in Midtown Memphis and where there were once mannequins sporting the latest 1930's fashions there are now cats all over the place! While I was checking Spotty in (for lack of a better term) a long-haired white cat wound its way around my legs and a striped tabby hopped up to look at me and Spotty.

She sent me to a vet they work with to have the cat tested for FELV and AIDS. The kitty checked out so I took him to The House of Mews.

Only 4 short weeks later, Spotty has been adopted! She sent me this photo of what he looks like now:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2671871160046690505OEhOrR

Isn't he sweet? I'm soooooo happy he's found a home!

Fraidy

Last edited:
I love stories like this. Thank you for taking care of Spotty. I bet he's the happiest cat in the world right now. :)

He looks rather serious in the photo! And a bit like Frank Zappa with the mustache I didn't know he had! :LOL: But I'm sure he'll be very happy. I was told he'll be an "only" cat, which means they won't be introducing him into a multiple cat household. My cat Persia doesn't like other cats so I completely understand. I'm so happy I got him to a good place.

Fraidy

Way to go Fraidy!! You really changed the life of Spotty, he will never forget you for that. He is a beautiful cat, and I am really happy for him. I wish everyone were as caring as you are.:)

FraidKnot said:
Back in October I'd seen this cat hanging around outside of my apartment. It wasn't feral, it was too friendly for that. But it was skin and bones, folks, skin and bones. Long fur all matted. After about 2 weeks of seeing this kitty running around outside, one day I was driving home and it was pouring down rain. The cat was hunkered down under one of my neighbors' cars. It came running for petting. Poor thing wasn't only starving for food but also for affection. The cat (I named him Spotty) was soaking wet.

I used a
tinfoil pan like one uses to roast a chicken or a small turkey in for a "litterbox". Didn't stop the little stinker from taking a poop in my bathtub.:ohmy:

Only 4 short weeks later, Spotty has been adopted! She sent me this photo of what he looks like now:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2671871160046690505OEhOrR

Isn't he sweet? I'm soooooo happy he's found a home!

Fraidy
I'm glad Spotty found a good home. Sounds like my Ragamuffin, who showed up at my shop about 4 months ago. The poor thing couldn't even walk across the lot without collapsing, she was so starved and dehydrated. I'm a sucker for cats--can't go into a vet's office without wanting to take all the homeless home. I have to remind myself: three cats already, and not enough room for more. Anyway, Rags and I have come to an agreement; I provide the crunchies, a place by the furnace, and pats during the day. In return, she keeps the vermin at bay, and provides a great mascot for the business. The cutomers love her! They call her my secretary. Doesn't stop her from pooping in front of the tire balancer, though!

I love shop-cats! When my long lost love, John, and I first got together again in 2003 we were in Addison, TX and there was a veterinary office in the strip mall where we went to breakfast. There were cats all over the place, in the window, on top of the counter, manning the printer :LOL: And in the window was this print by Richard Wathermax (which I've subsequently bought):

http://tinyurl.com/y7gekm

I saw it and just stood there laughing like crazy! I have a "fluffy" cat, you see, and I can picture her "capsizing". Fortunately she doesn't get on counter tops so she doesn't capsize too often.

Fraidy

FraidKnot said:
I love shop-cats! When my long lost love, John, and I first got together again in 2003 we were in Addison, TX and there was a veterinary office in the strip mall where we went to breakfast. There were cats all over the place, in the window, on top of the counter, manning the printer :LOL: And in the window was this print by Richard Wathermax (which I've subsequently bought):

http://tinyurl.com/y7gekm

I saw it and just stood there laughing like crazy! I have a "fluffy" cat, you see, and I can picture her "capsizing". Fortunately she doesn't get on counter tops so she doesn't capsize too often.

Fraidy
LOL, Fraidy! That picture reminds me of one of the cats I grew up with. The stories are too numerous to tell, but he could easily have posed for that artwork. In his prime, he could make a German shepherd run screaming (7 front toes didn't hurt), but when he was old (he lived 22 years), his belly dragged. He had definitely done what the picture portrays on the floor, but I can just imagine it on the counter!

Being on the art circuit with John I run into a lot of artists. There's a guy we know who is known for drawing cats and birds, he does children's graphics. His name is Don Nedobeck. I have one of his prints and he gave me a mouse pad :)

http://www.nedobeck.com/main.htm

Funny, though, I didn't see him at the Prairie Village show this year. Hmmm, hope he's okay!

Fraidy

Last edited:
Jill,

Spotty is beautiful and I'm glad he's found a good home. Buck and I are cat lovers and can't believe how thoughtless people can be when it comes to animals. You were a good Mommy to see to it Spotty will have a good life.

"Thanks" to you from us and all the kitties at our house.

P.S.
We have a shop cat, Julie, in our antiques shop. Julie's been with us since 1995 and has established a real fan club with the locals.

What a beautiful cat...so happy he's found a home.
I always kept cats around the greenhouse and shop. If I hadn't, the mice would have run me out. We live in the country, and I'm talking field mice, not house mice. They are BIG and HUNGRY!
The customers enjoyed the cats, especially the little children. One of the cats was a big fluffy white one, who'd let the kids haul her around all over the place. It helped keep the them entertained while their mother's shopped.

I have another happy adoption story to tell you about. I think I told you all about the starving Great Dane my daughter rescued. She'd been shut up in a basement with her two brothers, without adequate food or water for months. What little food their was, got gobbled up by the larger males. She was skin and bones, and covered with sores from all the filth. The neighbors actually called animal control because of the odor coming from the house.
My daughter has had her for about 6 weeks now. All her sores are gone, and she has gained 10 lbs. She still has a way to go, but she's going to be fine.
If any of you know Danes, you know how kind and affectionate they are. "Baby" gets all the loving she craves, sleeps on the couch under a cover, and has made great friends with their other dog. They have 4 acres to run around on, and an 8 year old boy to play with.
That's one happy ending!

Last edited:
Spotty is beautiful. I am sitting here with my two girly cats so sad the Spotty needed your help, but so glad he found you.

Back
Top Bottom