"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-10-2008, 11:12 AM   #1
Master Chef

Spring cleaning in the fall! Advice needed!

Anyone have a walk in closet they can't walk into? I do and I'm so tired of it. I've been trying to clean out the closet and throw things away. A yard sale is out of the question. I live to far out in the sticks for a yard sale to pay off. My last one netted $3.00. That didn't even cover the cost of the poster board to advertise it.
Anyway the advice I need is, what do I do with my wedding dress. I've been saving it for over 14 years. My reason to save it was to hand it down to my child, but my son has already informed me he's not wearing it.
I paid to have it preserved right after my wedding. How do I sell it without breaking the seal. Once opened it's vulnerable to all the elements like moisture, mothes, etc... I have plenty of pictures of me in it, but I'm not to keen on using a picture of me to advertise it. Anybody have any suggestions?

Old 09-10-2008, 11:18 AM   #2
Executive Chef

You could sell it on ebay...just use a picture of your own wedding. It's the only way to show what the dress looks like

Or you could donate it.

Old 09-10-2008, 11:22 AM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would advertise the wedding gown on Craig's List, along with any other items you REALLY think may have real value to someone else.

I would separate everything into piles called "Donateable" and "Toss." Then pile the "Donateable" items into your car and take them to the nearest Salvation Army or Good Will or something like that. They will give you a receipt you can use to take a tax deduction for the donation. Then bundle the remainder in those large "builders bags" you can get at Home Depot and put them out for the trash pickup.

that's my advice. you will feel SO much better when it's done.

and if you need inspiration, tune into the show Clean House on the Style Network. That should give you real incentive!
Old 09-10-2008, 11:27 AM   #4
Executive Chef

You could use your pictures - if you don't want to recognisable, scan the photo and then use a photo application to blur out your features. Someone really good (you may be able to pay someone to do it, could remove all your features and leave the dress showing as if worn but no one in it. Ebay may be a good bet - with the money squeeze, a lot of people are looking for bargains.
Old 09-10-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Sous Chef

I'm not sure about Florida, but up here in (sunny?) Nebraska they have "consignment" shops for used wedding dresses, etc.

Probably won't get a lot for it, but anything is better than nothing, and you'll probably be helping out some youngster who otherwise would'nt be able to afford a dress as nice as yours.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:04 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getoutamykitchen
My reason to save it was to hand it down to my child, but my son has already informed me he's not wearing it.

Can't say that I blame him! I know it's a long shot, but maybe a future DIL might wear it...I would keep the dress....The other stuff? Follow Chef June's program!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 12:16 PM   #7
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
Can't say that I blame him! I know it's a long shot, but maybe a future DIL might wear it...I would keep the dress....The other stuff? Follow Chef June's program!!

That's what I thought, about the DIL. Might be worth keeping :)
Old 09-10-2008, 12:26 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by miniman View Post
You could use your pictures - if you don't want to recognisable, scan the photo and then use a photo application to blur out your features. Someone really good (you may be able to pay someone to do it, could remove all your features and leave the dress showing as if worn but no one in it. Ebay may be a good bet - with the money squeeze, a lot of people are looking for bargains.

You can blur your face on photobucket. It's a free photo upload site and you can now play with different stuff. Your face will be completely blurred by one click on the mouse.
Old 09-10-2008, 12:35 PM   #9
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefJune View Post
I would advertise the wedding gown on Craig's List, along with any other items you REALLY think may have real value to someone else.

I would separate everything into piles called "Donateable" and "Toss." Then pile the "Donateable" items into your car and take them to the nearest Salvation Army or Good Will or something like that. They will give you a receipt you can use to take a tax deduction for the donation. Then bundle the remainder in those large "builders bags" you can get at Home Depot and put them out for the trash pickup.

that's my advice. you will feel SO much better when it's done.

and if you need inspiration, tune into the show Clean House on the Style Network. That should give you real incentive!
if you use Craigslist, make sure it is Craigslist.org not com
Old 09-10-2008, 01:39 PM   #10
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by getoutamykitchen View Post
...I paid to have it preserved right after my wedding. How do I sell it without breaking the seal. Once opened it's vulnerable to all the elements like moisture, mothes, etc... I have plenty of pictures of me in it, but I'm not to keen on using a picture of me to advertise it. Anybody have any suggestions?
You preserved it for yourself. Anyone who buys it would want it for the dress--they have no memories attached to it. I think ebay, Craigslist, or your local newspaper ads would be a good place to start. However, I can't imagine anyone wanting to buy a sealed box, especially after all the stories about people who found out, years later, that their sealed box didn't actually contain their wedding dresses. So if you want to sell it, my advice is to take it out of the box and take a picture of the actual dress.

Barbara