Spring must be near

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LadyCook61

Master Chef
It is still cold out here in E. Pa. but I saw the snapper turtle that makes his or her yearly trek across my lawn to reach the pond. This turtle is big, 2 feet across! I have seen him or her every year, since hubby and I lived in Pa, 1989. Also saw some Robins. I can hardly wait to see the usual Spring birds come back and photograph them and my flowers to start blooming. I am tired of cold, wet winter, drab scenery.

Your turtle is probably a her--they travel to sandy/loose soil areas in the spring to lay their eggs. You may get lucky and see her tiny babies toddling back thru your yard in the fall.

Your turtle is probably a her--they travel to sandy/loose soil areas in the spring to lay their eggs. You may get lucky and see her tiny babies toddling back thru your yard in the fall.
the soil here is rocky with tight clay. no sand at all.

Oh how cool! I love turtles!

All the daffies are in bloom around here, spring is on the way!!!!!
We get the baby turtles in the pond, not snappers but I can't think of the name right now. :ermm: They have some red markings on them.

My son and I always try to see the first robin- he did last year, I didn't see one till March 11th - lol, wrote it down -:ROFLMAO:! My Mom always loved robins - so I think of her everytime I see one .

Last edited:
We saw the cardinals this week for the first time all winter. We kept hoping to see turtles (Loggerheads, I think) one year in Charleston (it was this time of year, nesting season), but never did. We did see their tracks on the beach every morning though.

We saw the cardinals this week for the first time all winter. We kept hoping to see turtles (Loggerheads, I think) one year in Charleston (it was this time of year, nesting season), but never did. We did see their tracks on the beach every morning though.
I get cardinals all year round. :) I sure enjoy watching and photographing them.

My son and I always try to see the first robin- he did last year, I didn't see one till March 11th - lol, wrote it down -:ROFLMAO:! My Mon always loved robins - so I think of her everytime I see one .
That is a nice memory of your mon or mom. ;)

Spring's near... yet so very very far away after our nice little ice storm we had.
It officially isn't spring until the buzzards are back in northeast Ohio.
That won't happen until the 15th of March. They return every year on
the 15th. Nobody knows why.

It is still cold out here in E. Pa. but I saw the snapper turtle that makes his or her yearly trek across my lawn to reach the pond. This turtle is big, 2 feet across! I have seen him or her every year, since hubby and I lived in Pa, 1989. Also saw some Robins. I can hardly wait to see the usual Spring birds come back and photograph them and my flowers to start blooming. I am tired of cold, wet winter, drab scenery.

That is awesome... I am in E. Pa too. It has been unusually springy but I know we are not through winter yet. No turtles for me as I am in the city but it is nice to see the bulbs sprouting and the dayligt lingering a bit.

Around here, they call land turtles terrapins. They are not out, and the frogs aren't hollerin' yet either. The robins arrived two days ago, though. My mother, a big time bird enthusiast, always said robins were dumb.

We have cardinals and Carolina wrens all year round, but when the bluebirds and little house wrens show up, we'll know it's spring.

LadyCook61,
Spring must be near somewhere but not Michigan LOL
We had 10 inches of snow yesterday morning and another 10 will fall tomorrow PM :(
I like the Lands End catalog showing swimwear and the birds and all the stuff but somewhere the Memo about changing seasons didn't get delivered.

We have robins year round here, they like the woods and the thickets. I did hear geese and I saw a red-winged black bird, so spring is not far off!! Of course the weather man is calling for 6-8" of snow tomorrow night into Sat. Figures, as Saturday is the Senior Ball!!

We are spoiled here the past week has been so wonderful with warm sunshine...Even got out yesterday and planted a flat of purple and yellow pansies, the big double one..I love their pretty faces...Birds all over her and my hummingbird feeder got quite the work out..Nothing as sweet as a little hummer looking at you as it sips from the feeder..Love when they drink from the hose as I water..Since my dad loved them so, it makes me feel as if he is near.
kadesma

I like robins, too, but as far as being a sign of spring, they always get here a little to early.

We have a big snow coming in tomorrow, along with strong winds...we may have as much as 10 inches of "blowing and drifting snow." we have plenty of food, alcohol and toilet paper, and got some trees trimmed up on our side of the line last summer. Now we'll just keep our fingers crossed.

I haven't seen any signs of spring yet, we're still pretty buried in snow...but I can feel and smell it just around the corner. I love the smell of spring.

Back
Top Bottom