"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #11
Master Chef

Our spring sprung, and the spring broke. I shouldn't complain, with all the damage the farmers have, but even the hard maple outside my kitchen window is going to have to re-bud.

Old 04-12-2007, 06:46 PM   #12
Head Chef

Its very cold here too - and supposed to stay well below normal until early next week. I have a turtleneck on, a wool sweater and thick socks. This really sucks, we had a 2 day blip of really nice warm weather 10 days ago, just enough to make you think "ah spring is here" and tonight there is a wind chill, a freeze warning and I'm thinking about making a pot of stew.

Will winter ever end?

Old 04-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
We went through a couple weeks of 70's to almost 90-degree weather. That apparently was all just a joke!!!!!!!!!!! It's been really cold here, windy the last several days, and EVERYTHING is yellow from the pollen. It looks like high tide outside due to the Oak tassels. It's been a terrible year for allergies.

But, all in all, it's been fairly mild here. I'm ready for the warmer days though I will be wanting these days once everything turns hot and humid!!!!!!!

There was a VERY fat Robin sitting on my fence - I mean HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:19 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Spring was is full-fledge here in south Texas but then we got a gloomy Easter weekend with a cold front and rain. Amanda, Christopher and I are down with the flu. Yuck! Chris has missed 3 days from daycare and I'm on my second absence from work. Spring has sprung here but it's no fun when you're feeling so sick. I hope it gets warmer for you all up there Alix.
Old 04-13-2007, 07:48 AM   #15
Sous Chef

Well over here, Spring has sprung and it's gorgeous most days ( except today!)
I went to the Garden Centre to get some organic patio cleaner as I need to have a go at getting the winter's coat of muck off it.
When it's done you can all come over for a coffee. You can sit on the new bit of patio that doesn't need cleaning.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:14 AM   #16
Head Chef

I hear that in the South of England the winter giving way to the heat has left livestock owners in difficulty...the land went from poached to parched and is giving up little grass......this is normally the time of year when if you own horses you are fencing off tiny patches of land to prevent the illness associated with sugar rich lush grass.....its kind of worrying.

Here in Milan I have gone from wearing layers and layers of clothes a few weeks ago to typing now in a light skirt and vest top. Last night we needed the fan and no duvet....its up and down, but mainly getting warm, and getting warm quickly.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:22 AM   #17
Master Chef

Well mother nature decided to bask us in the warmth and glow of spring several weeks ago only to rip the rug right out from under us and hit us with 30-40 degree temps again......errr! Yesterday it snowed but nothing that stuck. Today its suppose to be high of 50 but rain later.....like we need anymore rain.

Like you Alix I am just so sick and tierd of this cold - nasty weather.
Old 04-13-2007, 12:07 PM   #18
Everymom

I saw a documentary a few weeks ago about the fact that CO2 causing Global warming was all a big hoax. The basic premise was that there IS a correlation between the earth getting warmer and CO2, but the warming happens first, and THEN there is a higher concentration of CO2. They indicated that solar flares seem to be more to blame for the warming.

Well with that in mind, frankly I wouldn't mind a solar flare about now! It sounds like many of us in NAmerica are in the same boat. Weird weird cold and long winter. Farmers Almanac hasn't missed yet. It says it is supposed to be a late, wet spring and then a hot dry summer. Come ON SUMMER!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:27 PM   #19
Head Chef

Whatever it is, weather is changing. I don't like it. I have been packing our winter clothes away since we moved. I added all my cardigans too. Normally I would expect to keep some light cardis out too wear in the evenings till Mayish. Too warm now, and we had NO snow this winter...yet its meant to be bitter in Milan, and, lets face it, its right by the Alps!
Old 04-13-2007, 12:33 PM   #20
Head Chef

I have been asked by numerous people if the world is coming to an end because of this cold weather. For anyone still curious, the answer is no. And for anyone who is hopeful, the answer is yes, you do have to pay your energy bill.