"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 04-14-2007, 09:34 AM   #31
Executive Chef

Thanks for the weather update! Pretty scary stuff. I have read that several glaciers world wide are disappearing.

Old 04-15-2007, 05:15 PM   #32
Head Chef

Spring has definitely come to Southern California in the San Fernando Valley. After the 50-60 miles of winds that we had it is pretty nice outside today.

It is in the high 60's to low 70's.

Jill and Jolie
shpj4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2007, 06:29 AM   #33
Head Chef

Sorry, to clarify, the Alps do have some snow, not sure what the skiing has been like, but the tops will always have snow! Not a lot, but bear in mind through summer they should still be snow topped, and in winter the foot hills etc expect serious snow. I panicked when I arrived and saw all the snow chains for sale in supermarkets, and we got things stuck to our doors explaining the cities colour codes for snow weather and snow depth. As it turned out, neither were necessary at all. Milan is in the Po Valley beneath the Alps, we saw not ONE flake of snow. Milan is well known for women wrapped in fur coats and COLD winters with snow. The Alps tower above the Lakes and to the North of the city....and even now my impression is the snow is not how it was last summer when I first saw them.

I hate to add this, but I go sunburn this weekend in Venice (also north Italy but north east, we are north central.) I have a mark wear my bag strap went across my front andmy arms and neck line are very pink. I have only had sunburn about 3 times in my life, (incuding before I returned to live in Europe but lived in hotter climes!) so I am amazed!
Old 04-16-2007, 08:32 AM   #34
Executive Chef

Spring????????? Girl, I need an ark today! We got 7 1/2 inches of rain in a 24 hour period yesterday. My home is in the middle of a lake today. All my bulb plants are completely submerged. There are cars stuck in the middle of my street because some idiots believe their cars have wings. 2 1/2 feet of water will stop any car. I've got a plated dinner for 90 people tonight, and I'm stuck here waiting for either a goose big enough to carry me, or a flying carpet.

I see no hope of spring here in northern NJ.
Old 04-16-2007, 08:40 AM   #35
Executive Chef

Oh Vera, I can't believe what is going on up north! The horrendous flooding plus the snow...good grief. We had quite a bit of rain this weekend and the winds were heavy but we can't even begin to complain after seeing the weather news.

Quote:
I've got a plated dinner for 90 people tonight, and I'm stuck here waiting for either a goose big enough to carry me, or a flying carpet.
Oh my word!
Old 04-16-2007, 12:43 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Baked
Oh Vera, I can't believe what is going on up north! The horrendous flooding plus the snow...good grief. We had quite a bit of rain this weekend and the winds were heavy but we can't even begin to complain after seeing the weather news.

Oh my word!
Hi HB! I tried to drive to work, and got about 2 miles before I turned around and came back. That took 40 minutes. The dinner, luckily, has been cancelled. Produce cannot get in, the flowers cannot get in, and the waitstaff cannot get in. Sheesh!
Old 04-16-2007, 01:17 PM   #37
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeraBlue
Hi HB! I tried to drive to work, and got about 2 miles before I turned around and came back. That took 40 minutes. The dinner, luckily, has been cancelled. Produce cannot get in, the flowers cannot get in, and the waitstaff cannot get in. Sheesh!
So stay home! Drink some bourbon! Take a nap. Drink some bourbon.
Enjoy a bubblebath Drink some bourbon. Cook dinner. Drink some bourbon.
Listen to the wind blow. Drink some bourbon. Have a nice day!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2007, 06:11 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob
So stay home! Drink some bourbon! Take a nap. Drink some bourbon.
Enjoy a bubblebath Drink some bourbon. Cook dinner. Drink some bourbon.
Listen to the wind blow. Drink some bourbon. Have a nice day!
Darling, that is precisely what I did!!
Old 04-20-2007, 12:33 AM   #39
Master Chef

Nope, spring is nowhere to be seen. It has been snowing off and on since Tuesday. It also supposed to snow through the weekend. Luckily, we have not accumulated any due to the ground is warm. Today, the low was 22 F. and the high was 45 F. The good news is that Sacramento is going to hit 80 F. sometime next week, so we should get warmer temps. up here in the Sierra's, too!!

Theodore Roosevelt
26th president of US (1858 - 1919)
SierraCook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 01:33 PM   #40
Everymom

Cold and snowing here again. Just south of us they got 10 inches and are predicting more! It caused major problems as it downed powerlines all over. Folks have been without power now for more than 24 hours. They're working as fast as they can to fix it but Mother Nature is sending more white stuff!