Square melons on the way

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kleenex

Master Chef
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=398894&in_page_id=1770

For those who struggle to man-handle a melon, help is at hand.

For Tesco has developed a new square version which can be sliced like a loaf of bread.

The supermarket says many people are put off the refreshing and healthy fruit because it rolls around in the fridge, or it is difficult to slice and eat.

Now, they have adopted growing techniques, which originated in Japan, to offer the square versions.

mmmmmmmmm square:chef:

One can only hope that they're not only just as tasty as the round versions, but also a LOT less expensive than they were in Japan a number of years ago when they were first developed as a novelty.

Hehe...a square meal, literally?

I can see how they would be popular for Japanese obento (lunchboxes..., typically rectangular little boxes with rectangular compartments for different foods...you should see some of the Japanese moms who blog their ridiculously creative obento!)

The Japanese developed square watermelons several years ago by allowing them to develop in boxes on the vine. I apologize, I didn't click on the link.

They would't really look unnatural, because nature has produced so many perfectly shaped things. In ten years maybe we'll have forgotten melons were ever round.

Back
Top Bottom