Squirrels in the attic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Half Baked

Executive Chef
It sounds like the Rockettes up there. I used to put my cat (named Fido since he acted like a dog) in the attic when I noticed them. There'd be a huge ruckus but he'd chase them out with a warning NOT to return.

I don't want to kill them and have a dead squirrel in the attic. Anyone have suggestions as to how to discourage them from entering. We've been all over the roof and don't see their entrance way although we know it could be 1 1/2 inches wide.

Best idea would be to get a pro out there - they seem to know such things. If you have enough crawl space, take up a candle and see where the flame flickers, and you'll find your entrance.

UGH! My sympathies to you. My only suggestion is to whack the ceiling and try to scare them out. I know that likely isn't a good option though. Hope you get 'em out!

jkath said:
Best idea would be to get a pro out there - they seem to know such things. If you have enough crawl space, take up a candle and see where the flame flickers, and you'll find your entrance.

Great idea jkath!

this may sound Crazy But...

if you go to the Zoo, and ask the keeper for a bag of Lion dung, you can use that or a liquer made from it as a deterant, it`s also good against Foxes and MANY other animals.

Or you could just buy one of these High-pitched ultra-sound devices that ar good against rats and the likes.

Your call :)

YT2095 said:
this may sound Crazy But...

if you go to the Zoo, and ask the keeper for a bag of Lion dung, you can use that or a liquer made from it........

okay, there's a recipe I really don't want:ermm:

Seriously, that may work too, YT!

Would you believe that I have the SAME EXACT problem? Only thing is, mine stopped making noise, and now it stinks in my bedroom below the attic. A quick look in the attic, reveals NO squirrel.. That means its dead, and some where that I can't see!!

Worse yet, this is in a brand new remodeled room. So if I have to rip down the Plaster, it'll cost me big time.. And I'll have to repaint..

I feel your pain!

-Brad

Halfbaked.....

Check where your electrical service comes into your house...the wire is sometimes used as a highway for squirrels...their secret intrance maybe near by...Obviously look where trees/limbs are ajacent to your house. On the gable end of your house look at/around attic vents..if you have them. Look along the very edge of your roof line..next to the fascia board.(it is nailed horizontal across the face of the eave...

If all else fails...I have a recipe for brunswick stew that is really good!;)

:LOL: I threw some shoes up and banged the ceiling. They just answered me with a dance in return.

if you go to the Zoo, and ask the keeper for a bag of Lion dung, you can use that or a liquer made from it as a deterant, it`s also good against Foxes and MANY other animals.

Or you could just buy one of these High-pitched ultra-sound devices that ar good against rats and the likes.

I have one of the ultra sound devices in the kitchen. I wonder if I plugged one in the office (right under the activity) how effective it would be.

We used to be able to buy Zoo Doo from the Baltimore zoo for our plants. I bet Atlanta has the same program. Thanks for suggestions.

Solution

I had to have professional who finally HAD to come and tell me what to do! When we first moved here, maybe 25 years ago, had nest of squirrels in the chimney. We had to hire tuckpointer who came out after the squirrels where finished with raising their young, and he capped the chimeny plus had to tuckpoint it where the opening was. After that we still continued to hear the noise. My ex said he never did hear anything and ignored it. Now that he is gone, I called exterminator and he advised to put traps around the house to see if that wouldn't stop the noise at night. Sure enough, knock on wood, have no 'visitors' in attic at night. Never hear them during the day. Must sleep during day.

Squirrels seem to not fear humans. If it means fight between you and them, they will normally put up a fight. I had to chase one of with a broom. Good thing I had it handy. His tail was going back and forth like he wanted to jump up and really t ake care of me! I don't like the squirrels since they caused such expense.

I had always worried they would start eating on the elect ric and cause fire. They really are annoying and loud t hat I couldn't sleep with all the racket. I did take the broom and bang on the ceiling but then it woke my husband up and that really made him mad. Not the fact that we had something in the attic. He wanted to sleep!

T his is my experience with them and I still continue to fill the traps with food. They sure eat a lot. Traps have to be filled once month. As long as they eat outside I don't care.

aha! that last part about filling traps with food gave me an Idea! :)

keep throwing loeads of Nuts up into the attic to feed the little beggers, after a few Months time , you`ll notice a Bulge moving across your ceiling, THEN you`ll know Exactly where they are! :)))

Chewing on the cords and fire are my fear also.

I'm going to have to break down and hire an exterminator, I think. I'll try a couple of home remedies first.

It is so noisy up there...maybe it's a ghost. :ohmy:

YT2095 said:
aha! that last part about filling traps with food gave me an Idea! :)

keep throwing loeads of Nuts up into the attic to feed the little beggers, after a few Months time , you`ll notice a Bulge moving across your ceiling, THEN you`ll know Exactly where they are! :)))

...but they'll be too fat to get out of the little door! :LOL:

get the Ultra-sonic device, seriously it works on critters like this, if nothing else it`ll stop More coming back in later years, Seriously!

Warfarin and Coumarins have little effect on rodents today, alu phosphide is toxic to ALL as are Barium salts (the likely toxins to be used).

Noise

YT since you have Reboot and Megabite, do you hear any noise? I surely hope not. My brother gave me some of his cats poo and it didn't work. Only dried up. Never tried the lion.

The bait food I have is called Kaput. But it is expensive but worth being able to sleep and not worry about a fire. I have read where they did not know what caused a fire. Guess whatever caused it had left when it started. I often think of elderly people what they would do? Especially if hard of hearing!

:LOL: I think I'd rather hire an exterminator than have a new roof put on the house....after I'd fattened up Sidney Squirrel.

I read this about mothballs:
Will they keep squirrels away?

(Sigh.) No. If it did it would be all I would ever use. Mothballs are for moths. And they don't even work that well for moths. Neither will loud rock music, basil, mint, garlic, marigolds, ammonia, bleach, borax or boric acid, and catnip. Also forget fox, cat, wolf, coyote, bear, dinosaur or human urine. There is also no device, electronic, magnetic, sonic, stroboscopic, or any combination of these, that will consistently deter these critters.

Last edited:
Awwww, Id love to have squirrels about. Well, not in my attic, but they are so cute! We dont have them here in NZ. Wouldnt mind seeing some skunks either. Just see them mind :rolleyes: , love their stripes and bushy tails.

Can you put a baited trap cage in the attic Jan? Im going to have to do this to catch 4 wild kittens I have in a back room here at work. I have been feeding them for past month but really, I cant have them here. SPCA will be involved I think and I just hope they can be tamed and found homes.:(
3 calico and 1 grey. Lovely wee things.

What about putting a cat up there in the attic to keep the squirrels company? :angel: :whistling :angel:

John

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom