"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
View Poll Results: St. Patricks Day ~ All About
Drinking 6 66.67%
Feasting on a Variety of Foods 3 33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

St Patrick's Day ~ All About ?

When you think about St. Patrick's day is it more about feasting on different types of foods or is it more about drinking? Not necessarily from a personal perspective of whether you eat more or drink more but more how is it perceived by the people you know.

I know more than a few Irish pubs that start counting down to St. Patrick's day the 18th of March and go all year with the countdown. I've always seen it as more of a "drinking" day with a dinner of corned beef and cabbage. A friend of mine, however, thinks it's all about eating a variety of different foods. Just curious as to which others associate it with, drinking or feasting (not just on corned beef).

Old 02-12-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
There wasn't an option for me to vote - I would have voted

"don't even think about St. Patty's day in a different way than any other day"

Which translates to - I HATE beer!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 02:37 PM   #3
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf View Post
There wasn't an option for me to vote - I would have voted

"don't even think about St. Patty's day in a different way than any other day"

Which translates to - I HATE beer!
and I'm allergic to it!

I'm so glad someone else said this first! This is not a holiday I celebrate. I don't fault anyone who wants to, but it's not my holiday.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:44 PM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
how is it perceived by the people you know.
If that is the criteria then it would be 99.999% drinking and .001% corned beef.
As far as feasting on a variety of foods, I have never heard of anyone doing that. If food is discussed in relation to St. Patrick's Day then the only foods I have heard have been corned beef, potatoes, and cabbage.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:45 PM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I don't "celebrate" it per se, but I always fix corned beef and cabbage, and when I was teaching we always did fun things for St. Patrick's Day. I like holidays in general, so it is fun to have certain traditions to go with them (I also wear green on St. Patrick's Day). I also love corned beef and cabbage, and it is cheaper then, so it works out. Plus, if I have the money, I always buy two or three extra corned beefs to keep in the freezer for later in the year.

I hate beer, so it would never be about that for me.

Barbara
Old 02-12-2009, 03:51 PM   #6
Sous Chef

We celebrate St Patrick's day as we do other Saint's days that are important to us. We have a special family dinner or ham, cabbage and potatoes. We eat and drink the normal amount, We wear a shamrock badge the whole day, and wetell our kids about St. Patrick (they are probably fed up of hearing the same story every year, but they don't complain)
Old 02-12-2009, 03:55 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I didn't mention beer per say. The conversation that started this was which is more "appropriate" (for lack of a better word) for St. Patrick's day a food cookbook or a book or cocktails. I was kind of "what does food have to do with St. Patrick's day?" and ther person I was having the discussion with said their tradition was to feast.

In our particular discussion beer wasn't even an issue because it was more about people's drink recipes verses people's "St. Patrick day meals" recipes. I was on the side that more people associate, not necessarily participate, St. Patrick's with drinking, in general, not beer specifically. My family, personally not me, but my family drinks Irish Whiskey rather than beer.
Old 02-12-2009, 04:38 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Most of the people I know who celebrate St. Patrick's Day like to celebrate it with Guinness. The only food I know of that people generally associate with the day is corned beef and cabbage.

I'm not a beer drinker, so I continue to drink the wine I like, and go for the food. I had a St. Patrick's Day party a few years ago; I don't like corned beef and cabbage, and I didn't want to do the cliche menu (it's not really Irish, but Irish-American anyway), so I did a roast leg of lamb with grainy mustard and rosemary, and a cheesy potato dish, along with various other nibbles. We had beer and Irish whiskey for those who wanted to partake, in addition to wine.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 PM   #9
Certified Pretend Chef

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in Boston. So much so that a fake holiday (Evacuation Day) was created so the Irish in town could get the day off to celebrate.

Not being Irish (not even close), I don't celebrate the day. It has become a day to drink green beer and have a parade.
Old 02-12-2009, 05:19 PM   #10
Cook

I'm from a city called "Dublin" so we do St. Patty's day all out! Huge city parade, 2 day festival with tons of near by vendors, soccer tournament, and even a green pancake breakfast! Its so much fun to see the city come together with so much spirit!!