Starting a collection, can I have yours :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Oh she had GREAT fun collecting it!
And up until ebay went public, it was a nice investment.Now, local auctioneers tell me "hold it till the Depression glass market
recovers... 5 to 10 years probably." I didn't mention to you that I have collected pink depression glass for a hundred years, did I...LEFSE... you don't understand.. I wasn't kidding. There are ACTUALLY 157 boxes of
this stuff, and it is marked "green glass" or "blue glass" or such, so I have no idea where the butter dishes are. The thought of digging through it is too scary.... wayyy toooo scary! LOLOL sorry.it'll be okay, I'm a great handholder anyway, so...Listen GrillinFool, if you go through that fun stuff for me, or better yet, let me help you, I'll take you to Don Murray for lunch, now how 'can' you resist that? hahahahahahahah:LOL::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO:
And if you get to RDU I'm only about 2 1/2 - 3 hours away!!!!!! I know how to get there from here!
Oh good! GrillinFool and I need an extra set of hands for all those boxes too!:-pAnd that way, you'll have also earned yourself a great buffet lunch at Don Murray's too, you lucky girl you

Um, no you won't earn that buffet lunch.
I actually live within walking distance of the FORMER Don Murray's restaurant.

Many years ago I remember eating there... then when we moved here 4 years ago
we tried it...
BLEEEEECHHHHHH YUKKKY YUK!

Lukewarm food; greasy tasteless veggies; overcooked dry poorly seasoned BBQ...
It closed last year. The little house on the sign is still out on Capitol Blvd.

We can road trip to Allen and Son in Chapel Hill, or Bullock's in Durham for BBQ, or
Sandpiper's in Fayetteville for a great Southern buffet with good BBQ...

Went to 9 yesterday

OH NO! That was a favorite of mine and all of my coworkers too.
But honestly, it's been 12 years since going there, so anything could have happened.
You just say the word, I'll be there. Boots on, spectacles on, good mood within, working busy hand/arms/muscles ready!:-p Appetite always in rare form:wacko:
^^^^^^^^GF, just PM'd you. I have my dust mask on:huh:

In my travels yesterday, while running errands I had to do, I dropped in 9 stores on my quest of finding butter dishes.

What a sad day that they're so hard to locate. Went into used shops, antique stores and one garage sale, all for not.

One used store had a Sango one with a lid too. It was $5 which would have been fine but I hated it. Didn't enjoy the colors or the shape, very modern up to date look to it, I want clear glass, rectangle, hard edges.

An antique store that is new, only 6 months old had two. Both Brock. One was an iron, the other just a butter dish with lid. $34 and $39 respectively which was backward. And the regular one, the $39 one had a tiny chip. The worker was trying to call the owner to see what I could have it for and then call me back. She never did call me back. I'm not a Brock collector anyway, I just want a butter dish.

I did win one on eBay yesterday but it's SilverPlate, and not what I wanted but for now, it'll do.

One antique shop has a really old round one with a lid and lilac color insert that is glass. She'll take $75 for it and says that's a huge bargain. Is it worth it or is she selling snake oil to this desperate woman...me?

Last edited:
got my first! it's not very pretty but it'll serve the purpose. I've been on a mad hunt the last few days driving all over like a loone. it's dark brown fading into a lighter brown [the tray part]. it says on the underside "totally today" and I'm thrilled I have a butter dish. don't know what I'm gonna do when the eBay finds start to roll in.:wacko:

Butter dishes, I collect them too... check out junk stores and flee markets and yard sales. They were so very popular in the 30's through the 70's. Before we knew about trans fat..!!! Some are worth lots of money, the ones from Italy are worth $$$$..
If I find any on e-bay or at a yard sale or junk store that I already have, I will pass the word on... I will go look at my collection and see what I can part with to a fellow butter dish finatic..

I just use the dish they come packaged in, LOL!
The wrapper. ;)
LEFSE, I looked at the box mountain... and ran away screaming, sorry! ;)

My grandmother used to have a beautiful crystal one. I don't know what happened to it after she passed away. So many of her things got junked because they were "knick knacks" to my dad & uncles and they didn't think they were worth much.

May I ask how you display them?

I have a metal one, like the metal cups used in the 60s...was that aluminum?

Wow, suzie! I collected those same things when we were raising our 5 children. Gotta love the lego marks on the bottom of our feet.:wacko::LOL:
LOL I just thought of a new name for Legos! I was thinking about what they feel like when stepped on (and believe me, I have stepped on my share too!). Carpet Gravel! :LOL:

When I have a nice house and a little room to manuever, I would like a nice butter dish. Right now I have a Tupperware one, which I like, but I generally end up just using it right from the wrapper, since I am trying not to use as much butter and leave it in the refrigerator most of the time and don't bother getting the butter dish out.

:)Barbara
P.S. I didn't realize I collected key chains until one day I noticed that I had one key on about 13 key chains! I want James to make me a rack to hang them on. I have gotten some really neat ones since I decided to start collecting in earnest.

Last edited:
Hi Lefse, here's you my miniature ceramic butter dish that I just love. Beside it is a dinner fork for scale. It can be for individual butter portions. However, I find that people use very little butter in my home and therefore a small one like this suffices for the whole table. I always place a newly-sliced neat slab of butter inside for serving. It costs no more than $4 too.

I think they still sell this at the store I got it from. I'd offer to check for you but perhaps it's not practical as I'm halfway across the world. :chef:

Attachments

• Butter dish.jpg
    Butter dish.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 188
I think that is kind of a neat one Chopstix. I think they would come in handy for large family dinners. Rather than passing one big butter dish all over the table, you could have a few of them on the table.

:cool:Barbara

Butter dishes, I collect them too... check out junk stores and flee markets and yard sales. They were so very popular in the 30's through the 70's. Before we knew about trans fat..!!! Some are worth lots of money, the ones from Italy are worth $$$$..
If I find any on e-bay or at a yard sale or junk store that I already have, I will pass the word on... I will go look at my collection and see what I can part with to a fellow butter dish finatic..
oh YEAH! My arms are outstretched ready to catch what you toss my way!!!!:ROFLMAO:

Back
Top Bottom