State fair scandal: Winning pie may have store-bought crust

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I can tell by looking at that picture that it is a premade pillsbury crust.

If a pie judge cannot tell the difference between a pillsbury crust and homemade then they have no business judging pies. Pillsbury crusts have a very distinct look and flavor, and nothing about the crusts mimics homemade.

I'm not trying to be snobby here, I use them on occasion when I need just a bottom crust, they are just easy. I really don't care for the flavor of them, and Rob can tell in an instant if it is homemade or not (he's a crust lover).

I read once that if a cook combines three commercially prepared products it can be described as "home made". I don't know if this is that lady's method but if she used the pre-made crust, sprinkled it with sugar and cinnamon, it might qualify. Another example if that rule is true, would be "home made" broccoli soup. A packaged brocolli soup with fresh broccoli and cheese added can be advertised as "home made". I can't testify to it, but I like to believe it.

"On Monday, she told the newspaper, "This year, I used a Pillsbury pie crust," "

"The rules are easy as pie. The Kentucky State Fair Premium List and General Rules Book clearly states on page 203 for Division 3304 Pies that "no commercial pie crusts may be used."

I think the punishment should by a meringue pie in the face delivered at the center of the fairgrounds. :mrgreen:

I was surprised when I looked at the picture.

I have made some pies that looked like that but I would not serve them to company or enter them in a contest! I wonder what the losing pies looked like. C'mon Kentucky you can do better than that!

Probably in the not to distant future they will be forced to add a category for home baked pies! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Q8zTVlZ19c

I can tell by looking at that picture that it is a premade pillsbury crust.

If a pie judge cannot tell the difference between a pillsbury crust and homemade then they have no business judging pies. Pillsbury crusts have a very distinct look and flavor, and nothing about the crusts mimics homemade.

I'm not trying to be snobby here, I use them on occasion when I need just a bottom crust, they are just easy. I really don't care for the flavor of them, and Rob can tell in an instant if it is homemade or not (he's a crust lover).

I don't like Pillsbury crusts. My store sells these crusts made by a local place nearby, and they are so flaky and tasty. And they cost less. The only thing, the label is in Spanish, with just the words "Pie Crust" in English. They sit next to Pillsbury and are always the bigger seller. But I still like to make my own every so often. :angel:

Muslim terrorists may be attempting to sneak across the Mexican border into the United States, Syrian rebels are mass executing Syrian Army soldiers and Israeli Defense Forces are killing Palestinian women and children by the hundreds in Gaza. Meanwhile, the Kentucky State Fair officials are worried that a 67 year old woman used a Pillsbury pie crust instead of making it from scratch.

I am so glad to see we all have our priorities straight!

Last edited:
That's not a picture of the pie she made. If you click the little arrow, you get a bigger version of the pic and this note,

"This is the Courier-Journal rendition of the Blue Ribbon winner buttermilk pie at the Kentucky State Fair, using the recipe of winning baker Linda Horton. State Fair officials are investigating whether Horton used a store-bought crust in violation of competition rules that mandate a homemade crust. (Photo: Alton Strupp/The Courier-Journal )"

I thought, "I'm not a great pie-maker, but I make better looking crusts than that."

That's not a picture of the pie she made. If you click the little arrow, you get a bigger version of the pic and this note,

"This is the Courier-Journal rendition of the Blue Ribbon winner buttermilk pie at the Kentucky State Fair, using the recipe of winning baker Linda Horton. State Fair officials are investigating whether Horton used a store-bought crust in violation of competition rules that mandate a homemade crust. (Photo: Alton Strupp/The Courier-Journal )"

I thought, "I'm not a great pie-maker, but I make better looking crusts than that."

I feel better, I was worried about those poor folks in Kentucky! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Muslim terrorists may be attempting to sneak across the Mexican border into the United States, Syrian rebels are mass executing Syrian Army soldiers and Israeli Defense Forces are killing Palestinian women and children by the hundreds in Gaza. Meanwhile, the Kentucky State Fair officials are worried that a 67 year old woman used a Pillsbury pie crust instead of making it from scratch.

I am so glad to see we all have our priorities straight!
This is a cooking site. We try not to do politics here.

Should the fair officials have said, "It doesn't matter because the world is going to hell in a hand basket"?

This is one little thing they can do something about. It's pretty frustrating when there are so many important things about which one can do virtually nothing.

we need to invent a weapon that fires frozen pillsbury crusts at terrorists.

both problems solved.

done and done.

This is a cooking site. We try not to do politics here.

Should the fair officials have said, "It doesn't matter because the world is going to hell in a hand basket"?

This is one little thing they can do something about. It's pretty frustrating when there are so many important things about which one can do virtually nothing.

I've never understood when people have the attitude that everything fun or not important in the big picture should stop because there are far worse things happening in the world. Are the pie judges supposed to say "we'll throw out the rules because the world is going to heck in a hand basket". I also don't want all the news to be grim happenings all over the world. I welcome some light hearted reporting of an old lady going rogue with her pie, causing an uproar in a state fair :LOL:

I snagged the recipe and put it in my Google Drive, if it won first prize, it's gotta be good. In solidarity to this lady, I'll make it in a Pillsbury crust!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom