Status of Emeril's restaurants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I lived in New Orleans (in the French Quarter) as a child, and spent many summers there after Dad was transferred, and a lot after I grew up and moved away from home - so this really makes my heart ache.

I feel sad for those who worked for Emeril - but he isn't the only place to eat in NO - there were sooo many little places all over town that could cook circles around him when it came to authentic Cajun and Creole food - the food that made NO famous. Places that will probably never be rebuilt - cooks that will probably never cook there again. I guess the only sliver lining is that the "Quarter" seems to have been spared. Maybe, in my lifetime, I'll be able to go there again and eat and listen to real music at "Preservation Hall" again.

I'm just so sad right now - it's like a death in the family for me. And after being at the shelter this morning .... I can't believe how bad I feel .....

Last edited:
I've been there three times in my life, enjoying the food at many different locations. I sincerely hope that most of the "hole-in-the-wall" restaurants will open back up, as those are the ones that rock!

I know, I know; Emeril's not even a NO resident; however - he's a man with a big heart, does well by his employees, and it's still a huge loss.

If what happens in NO is the same as what happened in Charleston after Hugo, I'm afraid we won't see a lot of the 'mom and pop' quaint little places; it'll be more chains; more 'chi-chi' places maybe dressed up (or down!), to look like the mom and pop's; more 'surface' tourism, and less of the 'real' thing. It makes me sad to see some of the things that have appeared in Charleston in the name of progress!

Thank you for the update! It's amazing what things don't even cross your minds...like employers not knowing how many hours were due their employees.

Kaylinda,

I just visited your web site. I would stop in any time if I ever made it back to your beautiful State. We have driven through but never stopped.
If the rest of you haven't visited her site..do so. It is great.
Marge

Really nice website, Kaylinda! I've just taken a cyberstroll through Just Us. :)

Was just up on the FoodTV website - it's sad, not a mention anywhere, other than a tiny link to the Red Cross site, of the hurricane, or of all those in the restaurant/food biz who lost everything. Typical.

I have relitives in new orleans but haven't been able to make contact with any of them since the whole ordeal with the huricane katrina began.

Tweedee, I'm sorry; have you searched the different websites for persons? All the news channels and Red Cross have sites and blogs up to post.

I checked on one site last night but didn't come across with anything. I never thought about the red cross, I'll have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom