"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 12-18-2012, 07:11 PM   #11
Master Chef

That sucks at Xmas time!

Exact same thing happened to my mothers neighbors last Xmas.

We have had the same UPS and USPS driver for many years and everyone knows them (fed ex less so) and even though you could leave the crown jewels on my porch they always leave big or likely $$ at any neighbor that answers the door. Except the crazy people. Other than them we all ate on excellent and trustworthy terms.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 AM   #12
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Shrek is home during the day, the drivers have been talked to about ringing the doorbell. They had a spat of just dropping and walking away, no knock or doorbell.

At Mom's they just open the door, give the dog a treat and leave the package inside. It only works if they have treats for the dog.

Old 12-19-2012, 09:57 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60
Shrek is home during the day, the drivers have been talked to about ringing the doorbell. They had a spat of just dropping and walking away, no knock or doorbell.

At Mom's they just open the door, give the dog a treat and leave the package inside. It only works if they have treats for the dog.
We have a guard dog like that too. Looks and sounds really tough until you break out the treats.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:02 AM   #14
Executive Chef

I can't believe that someone would steal Christmas gifts. So sad.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:55 AM   #15
Head Chef

The delivery people in my neighborhood are generally very good. Packages are often left either at the rear or inside the man door of the garage. Seldom on the front porch, USPS is another matter. It is just dump and run.
Old 12-19-2012, 11:13 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

UPS is terrible where I live, too. I'm on a training route and always have a different driver and different time they deliver. They used to run as regular as the mail, which made it easy to stick around for something I have to sign for. And most of the drivers know to leave packages on the back porch, but once in a while I'll find something on my front porch that sat there for a couple days... Amazon has their own crew now, too. They look like independent drivers using their own vehicles. The package can wind up pretty much anywhere.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:07 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a locked gate. I can tell there is a new driver--the packages are put on the inside of the gate (close to the road). The other driver would leave a note for me to leave the gate open and come back the next day. I've been expecting a package this week--the gate has been open all week, no package, maybe today. FedEX always leaves a note and brings it back the next day if the gate is not open.
Old 12-21-2012, 04:05 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Yes, that is really bad!

We get things delivered to Steve's work to avoid problems like that
Old 12-21-2012, 06:34 AM   #19
Chef Extraordinaire

Our UPS man has been with us for more than ten years. He knows me, my son Spike and my daughter. We all live within two minutes of each other. If the recipient is not home he goes to one of the other houses. and here in this building, if he doesn't get an answer to his ring, he will riing me. He knows I will accept any and all packages for anyone in the building. The office window is also right next to the door and the manager can see who is standing there waiting for an answer. So she also accepts packages. A lot of the residents get their medications by mail. When one package got stolen, the mailman almost lost his job.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:18 AM   #20
Master Chef

I guess there is something to be said for living in a small town. If someone stole a package from my front porch, if we weren't home, a neighbor would have that person tracked down before I got back from the grocery store.