Stealing Packages

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
There is a ton of delivery truck traffic in our condo complex. Yesterday, my next door neighbor had three big packages dropped on his front porch. I saw them on the way out to do some Christmas shopping. They were covered in plastic so I left them there. Big mistake. Later that evening he asked me If I had seen them. They were gone when he got home. Someone stole them from his porch that afternoon.

I'm on the lookout now for a package I'm due today. The thieves made such a good haul they'll probably be back.

We should probably all make arrangements with neighbors to bring in packages left for you. Better safe than sorry.

so sorry to hear that Andy. It's so sad that you can't trust anyone.

We have a "back-up system" here because the same situation has happened. My three neighbours and I get regular packages and we give instructions that if we are not home to go to the other suites. My next door neighbour is home the most so she is the main go to person. :)

so sorry to hear that Andy. It's so sad that you can't trust anyone.

We have a "back-up system" here because the same situation has happened. My three neighbours and I get regular packages and we give instructions that if we are not home to go to the other suites. My next door neighbour is home the most so she is the main go to person. :)

We have been doing that for packages that require a signature or in inclement weather. Theft has never been an issue before. We will change our process from now on.

That is the one thing that I miss about living in an apartment. If there was no answer at the door, the packages were delivered to the office. That was really convenient, especially when they were expensive items like electronics.

That sucks at Xmas time!

Exact same thing happened to my mothers neighbors last Xmas.

We have had the same UPS and USPS driver for many years and everyone knows them (fed ex less so) and even though you could leave the crown jewels on my porch they always leave big or likely $$ at any neighbor that answers the door. Except the crazy people. Other than them we all ate on excellent and trustworthy terms.

Shrek is home during the day, the drivers have been talked to about ringing the doorbell. They had a spat of just dropping and walking away, no knock or doorbell.

At Mom's they just open the door, give the dog a treat and leave the package inside. It only works if they have treats for the dog.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

PrincessFiona60 said:
Shrek is home during the day, the drivers have been talked to about ringing the doorbell. They had a spat of just dropping and walking away, no knock or doorbell.

At Mom's they just open the door, give the dog a treat and leave the package inside. It only works if they have treats for the dog.:LOL::ROFLMAO:

We have a guard dog like that too. Looks and sounds really tough until you break out the treats.

I can't believe that someone would steal Christmas gifts. So sad.

The delivery people in my neighborhood are generally very good. Packages are often left either at the rear or inside the man door of the garage. Seldom on the front porch, USPS is another matter. It is just dump and run.

UPS is terrible where I live, too. I'm on a training route and always have a different driver and different time they deliver. They used to run as regular as the mail, which made it easy to stick around for something I have to sign for. And most of the drivers know to leave packages on the back porch, but once in a while I'll find something on my front porch that sat there for a couple days... Amazon has their own crew now, too. They look like independent drivers using their own vehicles. The package can wind up pretty much anywhere.

I have a locked gate. I can tell there is a new driver--the packages are put on the inside of the gate (close to the road). The other driver would leave a note for me to leave the gate open and come back the next day. I've been expecting a package this week--the gate has been open all week, no package, maybe today. FedEX always leaves a note and brings it back the next day if the gate is not open.

Yes, that is really bad!

We get things delivered to Steve's work to avoid problems like that

Our UPS man has been with us for more than ten years. He knows me, my son Spike and my daughter. We all live within two minutes of each other. If the recipient is not home he goes to one of the other houses. and here in this building, if he doesn't get an answer to his ring, he will riing me. He knows I will accept any and all packages for anyone in the building. The office window is also right next to the door and the manager can see who is standing there waiting for an answer. So she also accepts packages. A lot of the residents get their medications by mail. When one package got stolen, the mailman almost lost his job. :angel:

I guess there is something to be said for living in a small town. If someone stole a package from my front porch, if we weren't home, a neighbor would have that person tracked down before I got back from the grocery store.

Back
Top Bottom