Steam Carpet Cleaners...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pdswife

Chef Extraordinaire
Do any of you have one? We are thinking of getting one and would love to hear about yours. Opinions?:):):):)

Thanks!!!!!!

I would consider most residential grade carpet cleaners as "gadgets". You'll use it once and chances are, you'll never use it again.
I think the commercial rental units are better.

My son and his wife bought me a Bissell Pro Heat Turbo for Christmas. (This is the kind of stuff you get when you're my age :)) I haven't used it yet, he said he would do the carpets for me, but he has one and has used it on mine. It works like a charm. I always had Stanley Steamer do my carpeting but now that I have wood floors except for the den, bedroom and an area rug, I will do my own. It really does a great job and very easy to use. My daughter brought her Hoover over and it didn't do anywhere near the job the Bissell did. Costco $199.99.

Another vote for Bissell. Buck and I used to have one when we lived back East. It was handy because we had pets. One time out doggie, Justin, got sick and threw up all over our bedroom carpet. The Bissell cleaned it up in no time and perfectly. Also, since we had 5 children, there were plenty of mishaps that needed to be attended to. The machine was easy to use and did a wonderful job.

I have a Hoover and it works O.K. I am a cleaniness fanatic so if I am using it, I first use some resolve to hit any spots or stains and then use the hoover over it. My husband's entire family (very large) borrows it so most of the time it's in someone elses house :)
I have wood floors on my entire lower level and I love the Shark steam mop style vac for them. Just pour water, let it get hot and then mop and clean away.

It does not dull the finish of my floors and works like a charm and leaves my floors clean. It even removes any gunk trapped in the grooves of the floor. I have a prefinished wood floor and there are those annoying gaps that trap dirt. Since I started using the shark even the gaps get cleaned.

The pad goes in the washer for a quick cleaning and can be reused over and over again.

Do any of you have one? We are thinking of getting one and would love to hear about yours. Opinions?:):):):)

Thanks!!!!!!

Hi
In my humble opinion I will quote my son.
8 years, carpet fitter & wood floor layer
he told us not to bother with steam cleaners as they only push the dirt further down in the pile, and once you start you have to keep doing it!
Trouble is they really only clean the top of the pile, any stains are best removed by a product called Vanish. For red wine stains, pour white wine over immediately, if not possible use Vanish ASAP.
I too am changing over to wood now, as it stops that dark line around the edge, which is caused not by the hoover getting close enough, but the dirt that rises from below.
Hope that helps.

DQ...does the Bissell do your wood floors too?

No. My floors are natural hickory and real wood should never be cleaned with water and definitely not hot steam. Click here I use a specially made cleaner for wood. But the Bissell does a terrific job on my mushroom colored carpeting and I don't have to pay Stanley Steamer 125.00 to do what I can do myself. Most carpet cleaning companies do the same kind of steam cleaning. SS does a good job and they always have specials.

Love this place! THANKS GUYS!!! Keep these ideas coming!!!
Next time you are thinking about getting a new carpet you might like to keep this in mind. Before the carpet is laid,
run a bead of mastic or decorators Caulking, which you can get from any good DIY shop, around the edge of the floorboard & skirting, it will prevent that black line around the edge. (as quoted in my previous message) I couldn't think of the name...Caulking
anyway there you go:cool:

Hi
In my humble opinion I will quote my son.
8 years, carpet fitter & wood floor layer
he told us not to bother with steam cleaners as they only push the dirt further down in the pile, and once you start you have to keep doing it!
Trouble is they really only clean the top of the pile
I was a professional carpet cleaner for a while and I agree with your son. The steam cleaners do not clean. They just push the stain down. Eventually the stain will move back up to the top. If you are just looking to hide the stain for a while then they will work, but they generally will not permanently remove a stain.

I was a professional carpet cleaner for a while and I agree with your son. The steam cleaners do not clean. They just push the stain down. Eventually the stain will move back up to the top. If you are just looking to hide the stain for a while then they will work, but they generally will not permanently remove a stain.

This may be true in some cases but not all. I had carpeting in all of my retail stores as well as throughout my homes and always had Stanley Steamer do the job. My retail stores had stains you wouldn't believe and they NEVER came back. Same with the stains on my own home carpeting. I don't know why they didn't but they just didn't. When my son cleaned my carpeting in my home a few months ago, he took out a stain from a bowl of tomato soup I spilled in my den. I just looked at it again after your post and it's still as clean as it was when he first cleaned it.
I would still recommend the Bissell. It's going to save me a lot of money in the long run and it's easy to use.
I also have carpeting throughout my RV in Michigan that has to be cleaned every year and the stains are gone.

Thanks everyone! I think we're going to go with the Bissell 9400 proheat.

My son and his girlfriend really want one and we are really buying it as a favor to them. We're each paying for half of it and will share the prize. lol. Though...I should make them come clean the carpets!!!

Back
Top Bottom