Still Riding the 'Sugarland' Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Z

Head Chef
I am a big fan of what I believe to be the BEST new country act around, a group called 'Sugarland'. They've had a great year since the release of their debut album 'Twice the Speed of Life', including lead singer Jennifer Nettles' work with Bon Jovi in a somewhat country-fied version of 'Who Says You Can't Go Home'.

You can check out that video (which I think is an improvement over the BonJovi only version), along with their latest 'Down in Mississippi' here... Go on... just scroll down to the Videos section and check out both videos.

I'm very excited about going to see them in concert next Sunday night at Mandalay Bay's Beach venue. It's always a blast there.

Yee HAWWW

Awesome band Z! Do you like Little Big Town or Big & Rich too? I think these are the 3 best groups to come out in quite awhile.

Angie......do you like the song by Bon Jovi with the girl singing with him (Jennifer Nettles)..."Who Says You Can't Go Home"??? If so the girl is the lead singer in Sugarland. If you've heard it and like it then you do do country.

SizzlininIN said:
Awesome band Z! Do you like Little Big Town or Big & Rich too? I think these are the 3 best groups to come out in quite awhile.

Angie......do you like the song by Bon Jovi with the girl singing with him (Jennifer Nettles)..."Who Says You Can't Go Home"??? If so the girl is the lead singer in Sugarland. If you've heard it and like it then you do do country.

No, sorry, never even heard of it. I'm pretty much listening to top 40, 80's or my CDs.....:blush:

At this point of time the only country music band that is winning awards is Rascal Flatts and it going to stay that way for many many more years to come.

SizzlininIN said:

Sizz... Yes, I like both of those groups, too. Saw Little Big Town a couple of years ago before they had any hits (opening act for a big 5 act festival) and have seen B&R in a Musik Mafia show. They're playing again on an open air stage downtown soon.

And... a lot of people may not have heard or seen that version of the song. Bon Jovi has their OWN version without Jennifer ::gasp :ohmy: :: that is doing well on Pop's Top 40 charts.

Personally I like both versions of the song.
Yeah Z they're pretty good. Jennifer's a cutie too.
They're already huge concidering that they're a pretty new
act.

I like both versions, too... but I love the twangy harmonies Jennifer adds.

Angie: Must be tough in the Hawkeye state when you don't do country. I don't like ALL country either. Actually, my tastes are pretty eclectic. There is a current 'arguement' in country right now about what country music IS and what it isn't. Many think today's country isn't country 'enough' and a LOT of it is only BARELY country. If you like country rock at all (e.g. the Eagles and stuff) you might like some of what's going on.

OOOH! You get brownie points for knowing Iowa is the Hawkeye state! Most confuse us with Idaho and think we grow potatoes!

Yes, its hard. I do like the Eagles but I just can NOT stand that country twang. OLD country I can handle. I really enjoyed Walk The Line, but I can't do this newer stuff. I grew up with Merle and Waylen, Linda and Crystal, Kenny and Dolly, but also was doing my own thing at an early age...Olivia, Rick Springfield, Bee Gees...

Today I'm mostly into stuff that ranges from Green Day to 3 Doors Down to Linkin Park to Josh Groban...and a lot of stuff that no one probably has heard of.

Ironically, my second cousin plays with Tim McGraw. He is the steel guitarist.

Angie said:
OOOH! You get brownie points for knowing Iowa is the Hawkeye state! Most confuse us with Idaho and think we grow potatoes!

I know the anguish of the confusion... and I don't deserve brownie points as I was born and raised in the Sioux City area.

AHH! I'm in Marion (basically Cedar Rapids) and was born and raised in Waverly (just north of Waterloo). Great to know another HAWKEYE! I hope you aren't a cyclone fan, though............

I think the "chunky" girl left for family reasons.

As I said before, I think the Sugarland Express will continue as long as they find a quality replacement for the one that left. Sometimes that can be the death of a group, even if it was not a lead player.

Rascal Flatts has been cleaning up, but my boys, Brooks and Dunn, are keeping rock steady for duo of the year for who knows how many years running!

Angie, have you seen Kenny Rogers recently? His face looks so plastic it's pathetic! He apparently didn't like the rugged "Gambler" look any more, so he lifted about everything one could lift on your face, and tanned it too. Now, I'm not the type to check out guys or go after them, but I can recognize if someone looks good. For Kenny, not just no, but **** NO!

BigDog said:
I think the "chunky" girl left for family reasons.

As I said before, I think the Sugarland Express will continue as long as they find a quality replacement for the one that left. Sometimes that can be the death of a group, even if it was not a lead player.

Rascal Flatts has been cleaning up, but my boys, Brooks and Dunn, are keeping rock steady for duo of the year for who knows how many years running!

Angie, have you seen Kenny Rogers recently? His face looks so plastic it's pathetic! He apparently didn't like the rugged "Gambler" look any more, so he lifted about everything one could lift on your face, and tanned it too. Now, I'm not the type to check out guys or go after them, but I can recognize if someone looks good. For Kenny, not just no, but **** NO!

NO I haven't! I thought I heard some talk on my local radio station about him when he was on American Idol...I'm gonna go check it out now! :ohmy:

BigDog said:

Their are like only two duo's in country music that release award winning country music at this point of time. That is why Brooks and Dunn have no one to compete with.

kleenex said:
Their are like only two duo's in country music that release award winning country music at this point of time. That is why Brooks and Dunn have no one to compete with.

No one wants to take them on.

As for duos, there are more then two, but not many.

Big & Rich
Montgomery Gentry - I think they can be the next Brooks & Dunn if they keep it up.

Geez, that's it? Wow!

Big & Rich imo are a bit too new on the scene and have not really produced anything award winning yet.

Montgomery Gentry at least have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom