Stinkbugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mudbug

Chef Extraordinaire
are they invading your house too? I am sick of these creepy, smelly bugs. I thought we were through with them when the weather turned cold but apparently NOT YET. Is there some application I can try?

I work for Extension in MO, and we got a bulletin about those critters. Like the Asian ladybeetles, they like to move indoors in the winter.

We recommend sealing the house--caulk around windows and doors, ceiling vents, etc. Pesticides don't work very well--you will kill the ones inside, but more will move in from spaces in the walls/attic.

Vacuum them up, but be warned that they may make your vacuum smell bad for a while.

Here is a link: Brown Marmorated Stink Bug — Entomology — Penn State University

mudbug, at forst i thought you might be changing your screen name but now I realize that's not it.

I guess we're fortunate not to have these little darlings here in MA.

i don't have stink bugs. i do have some sort of moth. not huge bug that seems to like cereal, pasta and flour. anyone know what it is and what i could do to rid of them?

thanks for the link and tips, sparrowgrass. I worked as a Master Gardener for the Exension service here in NoVa for a bit and remember that their research was always very good. I think Penn State was our source of info on garden pests as well.

I don't have it as bad as some folks around here. A colleague was telling me that her mom vacuumed up about 500 of them and also found them crawling inside the gas cap of her car when she went to fill up.

shudder.

break out the double-barreled caulk guns!

Babetoo:
Pantry moths--first, you need to take everything out of your pantry, especially grain products, like pasta, rice, crackers, flour, dog food, birdseed. Some spices may have pantry pests, too--especially chili powder or paprika. Check for webs or worms in OR ON the packages--if you find them, discard those things OUTDOORS. If you have packages that don't have insects in them, put them in the freezer for at least 48 hours.

Wipe out and vacuum your cabinets and wipe off cans and bottles. Check carefully around the lids of glass jars or cans--sometimes the larvae will make webs there. When you replace items into the cabinets, use glass or heavy, airtight plastic for all grain items. You can buy pantry moth traps on line, but keeping things in glass works well, once you get rid of the source of the bugs. (Bugs, either beetles or the moths, come from eggs in the grain itself. Freezing all grain products for 48 hours kills the eggs.)

I have found pantry moths in dog biscuits that somehow fell out of the bag and landed behind seldom used pots and pans, and even in the grain that is in mouse poison, so look everywhere.

I will echo what sparrowgrass said.
I had to completely empty and go through everything.I repainted the pantry and put new paper down too.
Everything now goes in airtight bins on the shelves.
If one bin gets anything I toss and start over.

All our grains and seeds are in air tight containers. We have had weevils in them in the past. I find that corn starch is an easy culprit. There is often some cornstarch outside the paper liner, inside the package.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom