"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2008, 09:12 PM   #11
Head Chef

There are many grocery chains in Canada that do not take checks of any type now because of fraud. Even government checks are not accepted. A few of the older people were upset about this because thats how they have been doing it for years. It's been a gradual change though over the past 10 years or so.

Usually the only people who are able to use checks of any kind are businesses who have actual account cards with the particular store they are dealing with. Which means they go into the store and buy what they need, use the card, and pay by a certain time.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:34 PM   #12
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by *amy* View Post
...The only thing I'm not quite clear on, is when I use my debit card in restaurants. For some reason my statement reads more (they charge more?) until it clears. Can't understand the reason.

Some of the gas stations around here have a notice on their pumps stating that if you use a debit card, your bank may put a hold on funds of as much as $75 for a debit transaction until the actual charge clears. I have never seen that on my bank account.

I do just about all my banking online and use debit and credit cards. I write checks at Christmas, for birthdays and for local contractors who require it. And don't forget the points. We even use it to pay for groceries - more points! Last year I bought two airline tickets for Aruba with my points.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:57 PM   #13
Traveling Welcome Wagon

The Chinese restaurant in town doesn't take cards, but they take checks. They also take their time cashing them. We often go there a few days before payday!

Barbara
Old 05-04-2008, 10:02 PM   #14
Executive Chef

So thankful I wrote and asked about this right away. Otherwise I would dismiss it and forget about it till next time.

Your comments have really given me security of using my cards and on line. Granted it does seem easier, but I worry about someone making drastic mistake as this friend told me and really put fear in me. When you hear something from someone of reputable information you want to believe it is gospel. However, GB I always have had faith in what you say and know you would not mislead no one.

I am sure if there is some kind of breakdown everything is backed up so they could get all the info back again. Technology wonder how fast it is going to get! I just hope I am not in long line when I find out they have changed to digital. Like Barb said, don't want to tie up a line. Good idea to fill it out before you have to pay for it. This experience with temp check sure gave me good lesson on being more alert when my checks get low. shish!
Old 05-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #15
Head Chef

Just make sure that any page you enter bank information on the internet is a reputable website - there are some spoof websites out there with names similar to banks that will take your banking information.

Just check the address and make sure it's the right one when you enter your information.

Also, don't ever give out your credit card number or banking information on the internet if its a website soliciting information - if you didn't go there to buy something or to bank, then its not that safe.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:36 PM   #16
Master Chef

We changed banks about two years ago for our joint checking, and at the time I ordered 200 cool NASCAR checks. I am still on the first set of 25. I pay all my bills online, and about the only time I use a check is when the kids order something from the school like pictures or scholastic, etc.
When out and about, we use our debit cards but like Picanis pointed out we always tell them to run them as credit. If you use your PIN, the bank charges you $0.50. If you use it as credit, it costs the merchant.
There are a lot of local merchants that have gone to taking only cash because they kept getting scammed with checks and don't want to give a portion of their profits to the credit card companies. We like to support them, so we just plan for when we are visiting one of them and take cash.
Remember when they came out with debit cards and touted how convenient and FREE they were? Now they nickel and dime you to death with them, funny how that worked out...
Old 05-05-2008, 12:11 AM   #17
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
...Also, don't ever give out your credit card number or banking information on the internet if its a website soliciting information - if you didn't go there to buy something or to bank, then its not that safe.
I'm the same way with people who call on the phone wanting to sell something. I will never buy from someone on the phone unless I am the one who called them. It is too easy to allow oneself to be pressured on the phone. If it is something I'm interested in I always tell them that if they would like to email or mail me the information, I would be glad to check it out.

Barbara
Old 05-05-2008, 12:12 AM   #18
Executive Chef

expat , good idea. I never thought or heard of that. Will do.
Thanks.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:20 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
I'm the same way with people who call on the phone wanting to sell something. I will never buy from someone on the phone unless I am the one who called them. It is too easy to allow oneself to be pressured on the phone. If it is something I'm interested in I always tell them that if they would like to email or mail me the information, I would be glad to check it out.

Barbara
Good advice.
Once a month we get a town paper, more like a flier about 8 pages long, with information about stuff going on in the town, news from the police, youth activities, senior news, etc.
In the senior news section it mentioned that one way scammers get a hold of widows is by watching the obituary notices where it says the husband was survived by his wife and any kids listed all live out of town. They say those are the prime targets of phone scams these days as it means the widow is alone in the house with no immediate family around them. They also tend to target those 65 and older how had the more expensive funerals and memorial services. They benchmark them by the cemetery where the funeral was held at.
Old 05-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #20
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
...In the senior news section it mentioned that one way scammers get a hold of widows is by watching the obituary notices where it says the husband was survived by his wife and any kids listed all live out of town. They say those are the prime targets of phone scams these days as it means the widow is alone in the house with no immediate family around them. They also tend to target those 65 and older how had the more expensive funerals and memorial services. They benchmark them by the cemetery where the funeral was held at.
I don't know if any newspapers still do this, but newspapers used to put the deceased person's address in the obituary. Then while everyone was at the funeral, thieves would break into the house and steal to their hearts' content. I know the San Diego paper stopped that practice many years ago.

Barbara