"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 05-04-2008, 06:08 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Store Manager

I just returned from Whole Foods market and having had temporary checks was refused my purchases. If I did not have enough cash in my wallet to cover the items I would have had to return with the cash and buy them.

Now I called the manager, he apologized for inconvenience, but said that there is word that all the stores are going to go digital that they won't even accept checks as payment. Is there such a transaction as digital? Never heard of this one? Are they t rying to confuse us? I recommended that they have check cashing cards for regular customers and he said not really feasible as they are going digital soon. Has anyone paid digital before? How did you do it?

Old 05-04-2008, 06:18 PM   #2
Traveling Welcome Wagon

I haven't heard that.

I know that at WalMart, your check goes through instantly now. We used to be able to write a check a day before payday and know that it wouldn't go through until the money was in the bank. Not so anymore.

This all reminds me of the commercials for that one card, where they show everyone flashing their card at the machine as they run by, then someone halts the whole process by writing a check or by using cash. I REALLY resent that commercial. I sometimes use cards, sometimes cash, and sometimes checks. When I do write a check, I try to be considerate of others behind me by filling the bulk of it out before I even go in the store, or at least before I get in line. But to insinuate that people paying with cash or by check are holding things up really bothers me. Also, those new cards kind of scare me. No one checks I.D. when using cards anymore anyway, but we still have to sign or use a PIN. I can picture a lot more people stealing those new cards and using them to get stuff free. I feel we are sacrificing security for convenience.

Barbara

Old 05-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

By "going digital" I'll assume they only need the numbers off the bottom of your check, just like you can give these numbers over the phone to pay a lot of bills. One is your checking account# and one is the bank's routing#. Basically they need only scan the check, then can give it back to you. And you having temp checks possible don't have the numbers on the bottom yet?

It gets very confusing to some customers I wind up behind at the local store (I try to stay out of). People don't understand why they still can't write a check and show their check cashing card, then there's the new machine they have to figure out, the cashiers are dumber than dirt...... all this because out here people would rather write a check or use a debit card to buy a candybar and pack of smokes..... drives me crazy. Doesn't anybody carry more than $3.00 in their pocket or purse in this town?

Wait, what did you want to know again?

Edited to add: no, a candybar and pack of smokes doesn't cost 3 bucks here
Sorry, personal peeve of mine.

But that's what a lot of places are going to to avoid rubber checks and have the money transferred instantly.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:42 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Ah, so WalMart has gone digital. I wouldn't mind, except sometimes the money hasn't quite gotten to the bank!

Barbara
Old 05-04-2008, 06:53 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

You would be better off then using a check card and running it through as credit, rather than debit. It won't cost you anything more (but it will Wally World, heh, heh, heh).
Or get overdraught protection.
Old 05-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

digital

By "going digital" I'll assume they only need the numbers off the bottom of your check, just like you can give these numbers over the phone to pay a lot of bills. One is your checking account# and one is the bank's routing#. Basically they need only scan the check, then can give it back to you. And you having temp checks possible don't have the numbers on the bottom yet?

this is really getting too crazy! People are really subjected to others choices and not their own. I don't pay my bills on line. I was advised by someone wo works for banking institution who advised as he has experienced personal problems that were never resolved. I do like to know where my money is going. Even if it is the 'old fashioned' way of using my fingers to count addition subtraction. Just kidding, but I mean aren't they just trying to go TOO fast.

Yesterday when returning some items to Macy's the girl gave me only credit for four items instead of the five because there was big line waiting for service. I had to take more time making her correct the credit than doing it right in the beginning. What is the comment someone said 'dummer than dirt'? so shame that the clerks are under such pressure. I feel bad for the workers as well as not getting correct credit.

Thanks for comments. Sure helps me.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #7
Head Chef

Hmmm. Not sure what he meant by digital. ITK, I rarely use my checks any more - & carry very little cash. I use my ATM/Visa everywhere. You just swipe your card at the checkout - & record the purchase in your checkbook. I think part of the goal is to eventually go "paperless" everywhere. I'm deciding on going paperless w my statements as well, as I do everything on line now.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:40 PM   #8
Chief Eating Officer

I do everything with my card and online when possible. I took out $200 at the end of Dec. for a business trip and I still have over $100 of that cash on me.

I find cards safer and more convenient. If someone steals my card then the bank covers me for the loss. If someone steals my cash then it is lost for good. If I drop my card somewhere and lose the card I have not lost anything. If I drop my cash it is gone for good.

ITK, I used to work in a bank and worked very closely with the internet banking dept. This was when internet banking was just becoming popular. Even back then it was incredibly safe.
Old 05-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #9
Master Chef

I write on the back of my credit card--please check ID and I am surprised at the number of businesses who do just that---Wal Mart for one.....well, if we go digital I hope there is someone to explain it
Old 05-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
...ITK, I used to work in a bank and worked very closely with the internet banking dept. This was when internet banking was just becoming popular. Even back then it was incredibly safe.
I love on-line banking. Now I have my bills sent to me electonically (via email) - & pay them electronically. The only time I wrote a check was to the Management co for my dues. I asked them for their account #, set up the account thru my on-line banking, & now I don't need any checks (& stamps & envelopes & return labels).

The only thing I'm not quite clear on, is when I use my debit card in restaurants. For some reason my statement reads more (they charge more?) until it clears. Can't understand the reason.