Strange Place Names

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buck

DC's Angel
While posting on my Rabbit Hash thread it ocurred to me that there are weird place names all over. Join in this thread and post some strange place names from your state or country.

i'll start with Kentucky:

Gravel Switch, Monkey's Eyebrow, Cut Shin, Decoy, Hippo, Krypton, Mud Lick, Oddville, Pippa Passes, Quicksand and Shoulderblade.

Now it's your turn...

I actually have a database with all the placenames in Michigan. I also have a book that lists all the placenames for Oklahoma. Off the top of my head, both states have a Remus, and a Romulus. Michigan also has H e l l, and Oklahoma has a Nowhere.

Lake Chargoggagoggmanchauggagoggchaubunagungamaugg. It is a lake in MA I went with to my folks when I was a kid. Actually the pronunciation is fairly simple, but it takes someone to explain it. Once you have it, just takes a minute or two, it seems so simple.

Oh, for weenies, some call it Webster Lake.

in my homeland of TX, there is a dime box and a snook and a cut and shoot (yeppers, that last one is real, though i don't know why you'd bother to cut someone after you already shot 'em), and bexar county is pronounced "bear" while nueces county is pronounced "neches".

ooh, and check out this webpage full of other hilarous place names, which does in fact confirm kentucky as being the winner of oddity.

Don't laugh - we have a town called Elf - and no, I don't live there :-p

Bat Cave (I hate I leaked the whereabouts of the batmobile - sorry Batman!)
Lizard Lick
Aho
Cat Square
Big Lick
Duck
Big Butt (I should live here :rolleyes: )
Horneytown
and drumroll please.................................

Whynot

Blimey, there are too many in England to mention. I lived for a while near the Welsh border and pronouncing some of the place names there was a nightmare, but just funny ones in UK.....there are too many, even within my county.....I don't like driving through a place called Catsgore (where there is always, as the name suggests; roadkill). My dog likes Piddle Valley, there is a well known school called Sexey School, which happens to be opposite a road called Lover's Lane, and all though the town name is not too funny, the part of the town it is in is called Lusty. There are the Camels: Queen Camel, West Camel..doubly funny because they have hump back prefab houses which look like camels, Cheddare Gorge (the home of the cheese, and when we vist DH indeed gorges on cheddar) and of course or main town is called Bath!

Andy, would you believe that coxsackie is also another name for a horrible virus? It's also known as hoof, foot, and mouth disease--I'm sure that there is NO correlation wth the city in NY!!!!! :)

In Texas, there is also a Woman Hollering Creek (many unconfirmed legends exist as to why it was named that in the first place) and Macho Creek near San Antonio. But it's not named that because it's "strong and vibrant" but has it's origin in the Spanish word "macho" which means a "gelded mule". Ouch!!

middie said:
Darn, nothing good in Ohio.

elf... Horneytown ???????? I should send the bf to live there !

Middie, I found one for you in Ohio; it's called Knockemstiff, Ohio. It has quite a history.

Back
Top Bottom