Strange things pets like to eat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chico , my male cat,just loves to eat olives, and yoghurt with honey. Cassandra, my female thinks that Danish butter cookies are divine.She also enjoys eating cheese and greens beans in tomato sauce.
Oh my, the one on the left looks exactly like my Charlie. I'll have to attach a picture tonight when I get home.

While the weird things dogs will eat is amusing, if you feed your dog people food, please be aware that some foods we eat are bad for dogs.
Grape and raisins are very toxic to dogs
Bread Dough (yeast) can poison your pet (gastric distention, respiratory problems, death)
Chocolate can kill your pet (depends of many factors - type of chocolate, amount consumed, size and health of dog)
Moldy Food (no moldy cheese you hate to throw away)
There are many other people foods that are bad for dogs. Some will surprise you.
I am not a vet but this info is available on the internet from those that are. Just search on "food bad for dogs".
Remember your dog will never have the intelligence greater than a 6 year old child.
Would you let your 6 year old make his/her own decision about what to eat?

Yes, I know wolfs and other animals, in the wilds, eat what they want. They also have short life spans.
And your house pet is not a wolf (I hope). Dogs are domesticated animals that bare no resemblance to wild animals. They depend on us to care for them and in return they give total love.
So be kind to your buddy and feed him dog food.

Last edited:
thomas likes

had two brother Siamese cats growing up...both liked the water dish to be off the floor, and as soon as we elevated it they stopped drinking from the flowers etc.

One cat loved cantaloupe, the other was crazy for asparagus. Both liked anything smoked or barbecued or grilled and always came around for the summer backyard dinner events no matter how many people were invited and invading their territory.

my cat loves cantaloupe, as well as watermelon and honey dew melon.

like papaya as well. won't eat fish or chicken in any state raw or cooked. ditto shrimp.

babe:mellow::mellow::mellow:

Cats: Mesquite Smoked Turkey Breast, Mesquite Smoked Barbecue Chicken Breast, Alaskan King Crab Legs, Roast Goose. . .

Dogs: "Kitty Snacks", "Pony Snacks" (I'll leave those to your imagination; tater tots, peas & carrots, ice cream Bon Bons (this was before it was known that chocolate was bad for dogs), marshmallows, Sugar Wafer cookies. . .

We adopted our 2 cats 3 months ago... they haven't wanted anything too strange... My ex's dog loved kalamata olives and peas though. Was soo funny!!!

This being a cooking forum, at least you guys could call "kitty snacks" by its proper name: Feline Fudge ;)
Don't know what pony snacks are called, but I bet they're heavy on the ivermectin flavor during worming times.

My two older dogs don't really eat anything I would say is weird. They'll eat any food item I toss they're way, my GSD just looks at it longer and chews. My Presa snatches it out of mid air and it's gone. My puppy hasn't gotten anything much except kibble, but he seems fond of hair..... He always has some of my GSD's hair hanging from his mouth, whether he pulls it directly out of her tail or finds a tumbleweed on the floor.

Dealing with other people's dogs I've had the misfortune of running into some very interesting (and embarrasing to them) "food groups" :LOL:, but I've also saved them time in the laundry room looking for missing items :ermm:

Omigosh, what a fun thread! We used to have a terrier, Montgomery, who feasted on locusts after one of the 17-year appearances. He ate them like they were potato chips and relished them.

We also had an Himalayan cat, Topaz, who loved frozen broccoli. Gobbled it up like it was Cracker Jack. Topaz was an incredible kitty. Probably one of the most beautiful cats I've ever seen and a "real" kitty. No stuck-up purebred snobbery. She was a doll and the whole family mourned when she died.

My dog loves fruits and vegetables. These are the veggies that he like cooked: asparagus, broccoli, spinach, zucchini, and carrots. He likes many raw veggies: radishes, broccoli, cauliflower, and carrots. His favorite fruits are oranges, apples, and bananas. It is a good thing that he likes meat or I would think that he had become and vegetarian on me. :)

Our dog loves fruits and veggies. Apples, oranges, strawberries, kiwi, carrotts, and junk food like gummies and twizzlers courtesy of my husband:mad:

We recently moved, and have a lot of cats around here, so my dog has taken to eating cat poo :ermm: odd, but true as others have mentioned. Protein I guess. Will try to break him of that nasty habit.

Are u telling me that, that adorable dog in ur av eats cat poop amber? :S
LOLLLL tell me it aint so :D:D:D:D

My dalmation will steal green peppers from the garden, eat crickets and pick her own red raspberries from the bush. My DS's black lab from hades will pick corn from the stalk, pick cherries off the tree and eats black ants. My cat likes flies, dry dog food, and strawberries!! My dalmation had an affinity for onions, when I mentioned this to her vet, he said to stop it; it causes thinning of the blood which could lead to bleeding out if cut!! PLEASE, don't let your pets have onion!!!

My dalmation will steal green peppers from the garden, eat crickets and pick her own red raspberries from the bush. My DS's black lab from hades will pick corn from the stalk, pick cherries off the tree and eats black ants. My cat likes flies, dry dog food, and strawberries!! My dalmation had an affinity for onions, when I mentioned this to her vet, he said to stop it; it causes thinning of the blood which could lead to bleeding out if cut!! PLEASE, don't let your pets have onion!!!
:) No onions,grapes,raisins,chocolate,macadamia nuts there more but what I have listed can be lethal if to much of it is eaten

Here is my carrot eater!

Wanted to share this pic with you folks... it's my Binker-boy eating his carrot! Oh, he found a dryer sheet too, he likes those for some reason! Guess he wants to smell good and be static free!!! :LOL:

img_534656_0_8fa5338ee3489472286ef08a7cac8769.jpg

img_534656_1_ea610bd7e839dcdde013bccaec42dd76.jpg

img_534656_2_345f110c6ca03ef1f09aeb827b90ca39.jpg

Binker boy :LOL: Cute name. Dryer sheets are good for an imprompto dry bath of your pooch. It helps to mask doggie odor if you suddenly have someone drop by and your pooch isn't up to snuff. Not sure about chewing on them thoughhhh :ermm:

Here's a pic of my new pooch. He has taken to eating anything that isn't his lately :( I really have to keep an eye on this guy when I don't hear him playing with my other dogs. Some of you may remember him from my old avatar. He has grown ;)
His breeder wanted a pic of everyone in his litter for some kind of collage thing she's working on, in the classic Ridgeback sitting pose with head turned no less. I hadn't even started his formal training yet, but he picked up sit and stay in about 5 minutes and sitting with his head turned and not moving in another 5.... long enough for a quick pic anyway :LOL:

Attachments

• Pierce4sit.JPG
    Pierce4sit.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 176
Beautiful dog pacanis!!!

Binks rubs on the dryer sheets... he does not eat them. Usually they are the ones that have been used up and fall out of the clothes as I am folding them. All the sudden I look up and Binks has this look on his face... "look at what I got mommy!" He is soooo silly!

Dawn, he is my little toot!!! I don't know what I would do without him sometimes!!!

My dogs (Jack Russell mutts) loved fruit. Anything but citrus. Also carrots and celery. Part of their mix was chihuahua, and I've been told that is common in that breed. The doctor told us if they love fruit and vegetables (raw), then give it to them for an occaisional treat. Good lord knows they lived to an ancient old age. Keiki is still with us at 15 years old, her mom passed last year after outliving the vet's prediction of a few months to live (she lived a healthy, happy life for 18 mos after that, thanks to science diet k/d). But give Keiki a few bits of your apple, and she is happy. It is interesting that your dog is named Jake. When I worked for a vet we had a mini bull terrier client named Jake that would eat anything. That dog had more surgery than you could believe. Push pins, nails, washers. If he could fit it in his mouth he swallowed it. At least my Keiki pretty much sticks to edible items! Her mom did have one unfortunate episode with chocolate. That was bad. And the mac nuts weren't a great idea either, but not as poisonous as the chocolate.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom