"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions
Old 01-09-2008, 12:09 AM   #1
Senior Cook
Strange things pets like to eat

Do your pets like strange foods ? My bulldog loves shrimp shells and raw pasta dough. Of course we don't feed it to him as I don't think it can be too good for him but every now and then DH will give him a shell or two and he just gobbles it up and drools for more. Made fresh pasta last night and left it on the pasta rack (is that what you call it?) and some of it fell to the floor as it hardened - Jake(the bulldog) and I came into the kitchen at the same time this morning and before I could move it was gobbled up in 5 secs flat. Strange.

TanyaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:23 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
My cat loves oatmeal cookies...

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:33 AM   #3
Executive Chef
My dog eats any dry pasta (ready made) that falls on the floor.
miniman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 12:43 AM   #4
Executive Chef
Cat poop.

No, I'm not joking!!!!!!!!

Accentuate the positives, medicate the negatives ~ Amy Sedaris
redkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:11 AM   #5
Traveling Welcome Wagon
A lot of dogs do that redkitty. I read that it could be because catfood has more protein in it, thus making the "end" product appealing to them. My dog was eating his own (also not totally uncommon) but I don't think he has since I accidentally started forgetting to give him his brewer's yeast (for fleas). The funny thing is, natural remedies to stop that contain brewer's yeast because it is bitter and they say dogs don't like it. Cubbie loves brewer's yeast!

My mom's dog Baby would eat anything my mom would eat, except lettuce. She was crazy about Nabisco ginger snaps though.

We had a cat that had come from an abusive situation. When we first got her she would eat so fast that she would get sick. She finally stopped doing that, but if one of the other cats came near her while she was eating she would eat it as quickly as possible. I think she would have eaten rocks if she thought the other cats wanted them!

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 01:51 AM   #6
Sous Chef
I read an article today that a dog at half a block of yeast or something, had to be taken the vet, the vet thought it was drunk or it certainly smelt like it but in actual fact the yeast began to ferment in its stomach or something instead thus making it smell like home brew - poor thing!
Rom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 02:14 AM   #7
Traveling Welcome Wagon
Yikes, poor dog! When I mentioned to my neighbor that Cubbie (German Shepherd) likes brewer's yeast, she said, "Of course, Germans like beer!" LOL

Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Head Chef
My two younger cats like to eat old plastic. Not new plastic; it has to be
fairly old. (I sell items that are often stored in plastic bags for years.)
One likes to "eat" recharging unit power cords... like cell phone chargers.
He just chews them... so we have camouflaged cords, LOL!
GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #9
Executive Chef
had two brother Siamese cats growing up...both liked the water dish to be off the floor, and as soon as we elevated it they stopped drinking from the flowers etc.

One cat loved cantaloupe, the other was crazy for asparagus. Both liked anything smoked or barbecued or grilled and always came around for the summer backyard dinner events no matter how many people were invited and invading their territory.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2008, 08:40 AM   #10
Executive Chef
Topeka used to eat kitty cookies out of the cat box, her breath could kill youFendoodle, our sons kitty, eats the fake plants in his house. she also flosses with them, and only drinks water out of 'your' glass. so whether you're thirsty or not, you have to get a drink of water just so she can have hers.

...Trials travel best when you're taking the transportation known as prayer...SLRC
LEFSElover is offline   Reply With Quote