Stray kitty cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Aside from us clearing the air on declawing, I want to add that dewclaw removal, ear cropping and tail docking is not only done for looks.
But it's true, if the dog is no longer being bread for that specific function it doesn't have to be done. Heck, even a Poodle's goofy haircut was meant to protect the chest and shed water from the rest of the body. In most cases you will see form following function and that goes for altering body parts.

If no claims the kitty I'm going to see how much $ it is to declaw it. To me I think that is mean, but hubby said that is the only way it can stay.

please don't declaw. i had one that i got declawed . his balance was never right , after that. it is like having the first joint of your fingers cut off.

do trim them very short, and provide alternatives to scratch.

babe:(:(

my 2 were declawed & they continue to paw at stuff like they own claws. i would declaw kitty-cat, it's instinctive fer them to claw.

Declawing will not necessarily solve your problem anyway. We declawed one of my cats. We did not want to do it. We are both very much against declawing. We had little choice though. Our younger cat was getting rough with our daughter and came just a hair from taking one of her eyes out. We tried to give the cat away (which was breaking our hearts) because we did not want to have to take his claws. none of the no kill shelters could take him and we could not find any loving home to give him to. We ended up declawing his because as much as we are against it, our daughter comes first.

Well when they do a declawing they only remove the front claws. the back claws should never be removed in case the cat gets out and needs them for defense. They can still ruin furniture with the back claws. Not only that, but without their front claws they can often turn to biting (including furniture) for a variety of reasons.

My 11 year old cat claws my furniture to shreds. Nothing I've tried has deterred him. And he's an indoor-outdoor cat, so it's not as if he didn't have trees and stuff to claw.

However, I ADORE him and I care very little about material items, so I live with it.

I can see GB's reasoning, but declawing a cat to protect furniture? Never.

It's all about priorities.

Lee

The water pistol will work. After a few times of getting squirted, they start associating getting squirted with clawing the furniture. If you provide them with scratching posts and rub them with a little catnip, they will use them.

As far as declawing, the worst part about that is, if they manage to get outside for whatever reason, they have no way to defend themselves. They can't climb a tree and other cats will beat them up.

The water pistol will work. After a few times of getting squirted, they start associating getting squirted with clawing the furniture.
Not always true. We tried (and still use) the water bottle. It has not detered Loki one bit. It stops him momentarily, but he does it again as soon as he feels like it. We also tried taking a soda can and putting some coins in it an taping that shut. We would shake it real loud when he did something wrong. That worked as well as the squirt bottle.

Do you have an alternative for your cat to scratch? Another option is to spray the area with a potporri spary with a citrus fragrance. Cats don't like citrus. Or you can cover the area they like to scratch with double stick tape or aluminum foil, something that doesn't "feel good" until they start using the scratching post.

Do you have an alternative for your cat to scratch? Another option is to spray the area with a potporri spary with a citrus fragrance. Cats don't like citrus. Or you can cover the area they like to scratch with double stick tape or aluminum foil, something that doesn't "feel good" until they start using the scratching post.
:) Yep, cats hate citrus if you use a spray bottle you must be sure they don't see you using it it must seem like it comes out of nowhere. My cats like those card board scratch pads. Also cats naturally know to use a litter box. You can also go online to Pet Smart or other pet supply places they have all kinds of scratch deterrents. And kitty needs an alternative for scratching for sure Mean while close all the doors to rooms you don't want it to cause problems. And give it it's own little bed it can be a blanket or even better an old pillow with a pillow case in a safe high up place.

We have tried all these things. He just looks at us like you have got to be kidding. You think THAT is gonna stop me :LOL:

I have one cat who is declawed (he came that way) and one who isn't. The one who isn't pretends to be deterred by the squirt bottle but in reality, he waits til I go to sleep to scratch on things.

Put some clear tape on the edges of the furniture he wants to scratch. They hate plastic. Remove it when she learns to scratch on acceptable stuff.

I'm pretty sure they have some of the stuff I'm talking about at pet stores. But I found some flimsy, clear packing-type stuff that did the trick at a dept store (Target or Fred Meyer kind of place). It didn't ruin the edge of my couch or chair and kept the stubborn cat off of them. Eventually he gave up and used the post.

:heart:
Z

I used that stuff Zereh. It is basically double sided tape. It was a disaster for me. I taped up the bottom half of a door he was scratching. It did not deter him one bit. What ended up happening was first the tape got covered in his fur so I had a furry door, then as he continued to scratch he shredded the tape so I had little bits of furry tape ground into the door and all over the house.

So is this the same cat from the Stephen King story "The Cat from Hell"?

Back
Top Bottom