"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-30-2008, 07:19 AM   #11
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
geez, lulu. a water pistol? your poor hubby, er, i mean cats.

Old 06-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #12
Master Chef

Cat Scratching Solutions

the Declawing Menu - Educate!! Don't Amputate!! (tm)

Old 06-30-2008, 09:33 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Circum,,,,, errr, I mean declawing is kind of "mean" You are after all amputating the last digit, but compared to the alternatives it's not a bad way to go. If that's the way things have to be. Having pets is like having kids, you have to expect a little wear and tear on things. And.... when the cat jumps on your chest in the morning and starts kneading you, it won't hurt so much if she doesn't have claws
Old 06-30-2008, 09:40 AM   #14
Senior Cook

Have the kitty de-clawed. It isn't cheap, but it really is worth every penny. Our vet uses laser to remove the claws and it seemed a lot easier on the 2 babies.
Old 06-30-2008, 10:04 AM   #15
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Essiebunny View Post
Have the kitty de-clawed. It isn't cheap, but it really is worth every penny. Our vet uses laser to remove the claws and it seemed a lot easier on the 2 babies.
No declawing. Do you realize it is like taking off the first finger joints of your hand ?
Old 06-30-2008, 10:24 AM   #16
Senior Cook

If it means de-claw or get rid of the kitty, definitely declaw!
Old 06-30-2008, 12:40 PM   #17
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyCook61 View Post
No declawing. Do you realize it is like taking off the first finger joints of your hand ?

no, it is more like taking off your fingernails... which only hurts for like a week. All of my previous cats have been declawed and lived very long and happy lives.

I bet there are a lot of bums that would give the tips of their fingers to live in a house, get fed and be loved. Why would a cat be any different?
Old 06-30-2008, 01:43 PM   #18
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye16 View Post
no, it is more like taking off your fingernails... which only hurts for like a week. All of my previous cats have been declawed and lived very long and happy lives.

I bet there are a lot of bums that would give the tips of their fingers to live in a house, get fed and be loved. Why would a cat be any different?
I disagree. it is not taking off fingernails. it is taking off first joint.

I suggest you visit this site.

the Declawing Menu - Educate!! Don't Amputate!! (tm)
Old 06-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #19
Executive Chef

You're right, LadyCook, in that it is an amputation and not a thing to be taken lightly. But if it is a choice between that or the cat being out of a good home, sometimes compromises are made. People have their pets' ears trimmed and tails docked and dew claws removed, too. I don't feel great about that since it is purely for cosmetic reasons but I don't think it necessarily makes the owners bad people. This is a difficult topic because of course, we all love animals and in a perfect world, we would all be able to afford to vaccinate every animal and provide every animal with excellent veterinary care and no animals would be without a good home. But since that isn't within reach yet, it's hard to decide where we draw the lines and what compromises are acceptable. I know you to be a great lover of animals and I applaud you for that because you work on behalf of our furry friends who can't speak for themselves. But maybe declawing will be the only way Mikki can continue to provide a home for this kitty and I wouldn't fault her for that.
Old 06-30-2008, 02:53 PM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
You're right, LadyCook, in that it is an amputation and not a thing to be taken lightly. But if it is a choice between that or the cat being out of a good home, sometimes compromises are made. People have their pets' ears trimmed and tails docked and dew claws removed, too. I don't feel great about that since it is purely for cosmetic reasons but I don't think it necessarily makes the owners bad people. This is a difficult topic because of course, we all love animals and in a perfect world, we would all be able to afford to vaccinate every animal and provide every animal with excellent veterinary care and no animals would be without a good home. But since that isn't within reach yet, it's hard to decide where we draw the lines and what compromises are acceptable. I know you to be a great lover of animals and I applaud you for that because you work on behalf of our furry friends who can't speak for themselves. But maybe declawing will be the only way Mikki can continue to provide a home for this kitty and I wouldn't fault her for that.
I understand that and of course I don't think people are bad if they have the cat declawed. I just wanted the truth be told, that's all.