"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 07-01-2008, 08:56 AM   #41
Chief Eating Officer

He just might be Mama. I could tell you guys stories you would not believe. This cat is actually famous around here. I live 5 minutes from The Tufts veterinary school which is one of the best vet schools in the world. Any time Loki goes to the vet they call the school to see if the students want to come in and see him. I won't go into details, but lets just say he is not a normal cat.

He just might be the cat from hell. After all he has tried to jump into the over while it was on twice.

I think my wife and I are partly to blame. This is not the reason we named him this, but Loki was the Norse g-d of mischief.

Old 07-01-2008, 08:57 AM   #42
Head Chef

GB, your cat sounds very clever.

Having started to clicker trian my cats (positive reinforcement) I have found it very useful. One of my cats is averagely bright, the other super-bright. With both I find a cobination of clicker -reward for good behaviour and spray for bad behavior has been invaluable. Timing is very important, and consistancy. For the water pistol to ork it has to be a givin that he goes to scratch in tthe wrong place he is sprayed. You need a set up situation for this. Either a lazy morning with the papers. The punishment should be instantand consistant. He needs to be sprayed several times ina row if he goes back several times in a row.

There are all sorts of reasons why I use both a punishment and a reward system, and I think a they go the water pistol is a good balance of humane and effective.

Re declawing, I honestly would not do it. I hesitated to reply on this thread once declaing was raised. GB's situation is perhaps a rare exception where the cat had a great home but needed something done to make the situation work, as. My cat are siamese and cannot retract their claws fully ever. They are regularly trimmed and cause very little damage.

despite popular belief cats CAN be trained, but it takes patience, good timing and calmness (its embarrassing how often one can be outwitted by a cat- me and GB eH, lol?) but it can be an excellent way to bond with them and develop personal skills, like that darn patience!

Old 07-01-2008, 09:01 AM   #43
Head Chef

From the sounds of things, if GB used a clicker, the cat would probably take it away from him and it would be scary to think what he might do with it!
Old 07-01-2008, 09:36 AM   #44
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lulu View Post
GB, your cat sounds very clever.
Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he is either stupid or brain damaged or retarded or some combination of the above. I believe that is why he just can not be trained. My other cat is very well trained. I just have to say "no" and he stops doing whatever it was that he was doing.
Old 07-01-2008, 09:45 AM   #45
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Actually I think it is the opposite. I think he is either stupid or brain damaged or retarded or some combination of the above. I believe that is why he just can not be trained. My other cat is very well trained. I just have to say "no" and he stops doing whatever it was that he was doing.

LOL, really? and he still has you wrapped around his declawed paw?
Old 07-01-2008, 09:48 AM   #46
Chief Eating Officer

On some days he does. On other days I feel like not grabbing him out of the oven when he jumps in
Old 07-01-2008, 10:42 AM   #47
Sous Chef

My sister had two handsome long-hair male cats. One was black and one a tawny with beautiful blue eyes. (Sammy and Sinatra) They scratched everything in sight, including the two tame intimidated Keeshounds she had. One dog had to have a couple of stiches in his nose. She had them snipped and clipped. They didn't seem to be phased by the neutering and de-clawing. Although Sinatra lost his affectionate nature and started biting. My 80 year old father's attitude was "No ba##s, no claws...put a bullet to their heads.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:49 AM   #48
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post

They prefer "mentally challenged".
Or is that mentally challenging?
Old 07-01-2008, 10:53 AM   #49
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
They prefer "mentally challenged".
I know you are just joking around, but just thought I would weigh in that not everyone who is retarded prefers to be called mentally challenged. Some would rather be called retarded.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:55 AM   #50
Chef Extraordinaire

did you ever wonder if you were mentally challenged, and everyone was just being really nice to you because of it.

i have.

Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote