Stray kitty cat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikki

Sous Chef
A stray cat showed up at our doorstep almost a week ago, hubby has faught tooth and nail to keep it out of the house, but I finally got him to let her in. I felt bad leaving her out because we've been having bad storms. Anyway she must have been allowed in a house, because she is litterbox trained.
My question is how do I keep her from shredding our furniture. Which she has already tried to do. Hubby said if the furniture gets runied we are all kicked out. I can't watch her all the time. Help!!!

do what my wife does and provide several types of scratching posts with materials like sisal, carpet, and tree bark, then screetch like a freakin' hoot owl on steroids when one of them even thinks about going near the couch with nails bared.

she does it with me and cute chicks and it works.

The only thing I know is to have lots of other scratching posts and things for the cat to scratch. They make them in different textures to keep the cat interested. They need set out where the cat goes now to scratch... in other words, you can't set them out of the way in the basement or on the porch. You need to set them by the couch and other favorite places the cat likes to use. And the cat chould definitely have a "no" word you can throw at it when it is doing something it shouldn't be, like scratching the furniture or jumping up on the counter.
Some people declaw the fronts, too, as that is the only 100% way to stop scratching. I keep my cat's nails trimmed, which helps.

If no claims the kitty I'm going to see how much $ it is to declaw it. To me I think that is mean, but hubby said that is the only way it can stay.

It's a female and I still have to have her checked out, but I put an add in the paper and don't want to spend alot of $ on her if someone is going to claim her. Or were you talking about hubby. LOL

no, i meant your hubby. if not, then you have an arguement.

is anyone else gettin' me, here? i might really have gone off into lala land this time. you never really know when it happensw.

a others have said, give her lots she is allowed to scrath on and make a loud noise when she scratches furniture. it can be a shreik, a hiss or, for rapid results a water pistol. We use a water pistol :(

a others have said, give her lots she is allowed to scrath on and make a loud noise when she scratches furniture. it can be a shreik, a hiss or, for rapid results a water pistol. We use a water pistol :(

geez, lulu. a water pistol? your poor hubby, er, i mean cats.

Circum,,,,, errr, I mean declawing is kind of "mean" :ermm: You are after all amputating the last digit, but compared to the alternatives it's not a bad way to go. If that's the way things have to be. Having pets is like having kids, you have to expect a little wear and tear on things. And.... when the cat jumps on your chest in the morning and starts kneading you, it won't hurt so much if she doesn't have claws ;)

Have the kitty de-clawed. It isn't cheap, but it really is worth every penny. Our vet uses laser to remove the claws and it seemed a lot easier on the 2 babies.

Have the kitty de-clawed. It isn't cheap, but it really is worth every penny. Our vet uses laser to remove the claws and it seemed a lot easier on the 2 babies.

No declawing. Do you realize it is like taking off the first finger joints of your hand ?

No declawing. Do you realize it is like taking off the first finger joints of your hand ?

no, it is more like taking off your fingernails... which only hurts for like a week. All of my previous cats have been declawed and lived very long and happy lives.

I bet there are a lot of bums that would give the tips of their fingers to live in a house, get fed and be loved. Why would a cat be any different?

Last edited:
no, it is more like taking off your fingernails... which only hurts for like a week. All of my previous cats have been declawed and lived very long and happy lives.

I bet there are a lot of bums that would give the tips of their fingers to live in a house, get fed and be loved. Why would a cat be any different?

I disagree. it is not taking off fingernails. it is taking off first joint.

I suggest you visit this site.

the Declawing Menu - Educate!! Don't Amputate!! (tm)

You're right, LadyCook, in that it is an amputation and not a thing to be taken lightly. But if it is a choice between that or the cat being out of a good home, sometimes compromises are made. People have their pets' ears trimmed and tails docked and dew claws removed, too. I don't feel great about that since it is purely for cosmetic reasons but I don't think it necessarily makes the owners bad people. This is a difficult topic because of course, we all love animals and in a perfect world, we would all be able to afford to vaccinate every animal and provide every animal with excellent veterinary care and no animals would be without a good home. But since that isn't within reach yet, it's hard to decide where we draw the lines and what compromises are acceptable. I know you to be a great lover of animals and I applaud you for that because you work on behalf of our furry friends who can't speak for themselves. But maybe declawing will be the only way Mikki can continue to provide a home for this kitty and I wouldn't fault her for that.

You're right, LadyCook, in that it is an amputation and not a thing to be taken lightly. But if it is a choice between that or the cat being out of a good home, sometimes compromises are made. People have their pets' ears trimmed and tails docked and dew claws removed, too. I don't feel great about that since it is purely for cosmetic reasons but I don't think it necessarily makes the owners bad people. This is a difficult topic because of course, we all love animals and in a perfect world, we would all be able to afford to vaccinate every animal and provide every animal with excellent veterinary care and no animals would be without a good home. But since that isn't within reach yet, it's hard to decide where we draw the lines and what compromises are acceptable. I know you to be a great lover of animals and I applaud you for that because you work on behalf of our furry friends who can't speak for themselves. But maybe declawing will be the only way Mikki can continue to provide a home for this kitty and I wouldn't fault her for that.
I understand that and of course I don't think people are bad if they have the cat declawed. I just wanted the truth be told, that's all. :)

Back
Top Bottom