Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So sad, Dawg.

Graveyard_lasagna-sk.jpg

Someone has too much time on their hands. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: :angel:

Oh dear. Tonight on NBC News, Lester Holt stated after a thing on Bill Cosby's supposed indiscretions, "On Datetime (not Dateline) NBC Tonight"...

Last edited:
You know you are getting old when a $20.00 package of ground beef takes you by surprise! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

This morning it is cool and I wanted to make a meatloaf so I set out for the local Wegman's to get a couple pounds of ground beef. I normally scan the ground beef looking for the smallest package I can find, usually around 12 ounces. Today I was looking for a larger package and was amazed at the price per package. I ended up with the $20.00 package that nearly scared me to death. :ermm: How do people feed these shaggy herds of moose that I see loping along next to the grocery carts.

The package was actually a good buy, I ended up with six large burgers and 18 meatballs for the freezer plus a nice size meatloaf.

I guess I need to get up out of my rut more often and take a look around! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

They feed the moose hot dogs and keep the good stuff for themselves. Or restrict the moose to like 1 tablespoon of meat.
Yes, I know people that have actually done both of those things.

They feed the moose hot dogs and keep the good stuff for themselves. Or restrict the moose to like 1 tablespoon of meat.
Yes, I know people that have actually done both of those things.

I know some of those folks too and it makes me sad.

When I was a kid if my parents ate steak we ate steak and if my parents ate hot dogs we ate hot dogs, usually the hot dogs won! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Ya larn sumpin' new every day.

I never heard of the kids getting something different to eat from the parents. I knew the richer folks ate much later than the kids. I always thought that the kids were being cheated by not being allowed to eat with their parents. How else do you teach kids table manners. :angel:

I know some of those folks too and it makes me sad.

When I was a kid if my parents ate steak we ate steak and if my parents ate hot dogs we ate hot dogs, usually the hot dogs won! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:
My mother always ate what we did. Matter of fact, that was with others kids too. She refused to eat better than the kids.

Why is it that I can simmer spaghetti sauce for hours and hours, making the house smell like an Italian restaurant, and the lingering smell doesn't bother me at night - but pop a cup of popcorn at four in the afternoon, and I end up laying in bed smelling that sucker, unable to sleep. :huh: :LOL:

Those Losing Scratch Tickets

Spike collects those loser lottery tickets. Here in Mass. the more expensive ones always have a contest connected to them. When he is in a store, he checks the trash can right next to the stand where they scratch those tickets. A lot of times someone will think that they have a losing ticket and throw it away without checking all the numbers.

Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200.

Then he takes those losing tickets and enters them into the second chance contest. Right now I have a complete set of camping equipment for four sitting in my closet waiting for my grandson to come and pick it all up. He won $10,000 one time with seats to a championship playoff. Seats in the Owners box with all the trimmings. He and his son had a great time that night.

He has won tickets to the Patriots games in Foxboro on several occasion. Again seats in the owners box and all kinds of eats. Also there is the tailgate party that the Patriots has for the winners.

I can't begin to tell you how many times he has won over the years he has been doing this. Each night he comes here with Teddy. While I am playing with Teddy, Spike is sitting at my computer and entering these not so loser tickets. Some of the contests require that you hold onto the tickets so that if yours is pulled you can show it. He leaves them here. My window sills look like I have a very serious gambling problem. On others, you don't a have to save the tickets. So he tosses them in my trash. I use to tie them up. Now they go to the trash room and everyone can see them.

The one contest we are waiting for is the one for the World Skating Competition at the Garden. Six nights. Six tickets for each show for two people. Plus all the extras that special guests get. I would take my daughter.
To be continued. :angel:

Holy cow. Spike sure is one lucky son of a gun. :ohmy::)

Indeed he is. And all because of other people having a bad gambling habit. And I become a winner also. Every time he finds a ticket that has money on it because someone thought it was a loser, I get an order of fried clams. It is the price he has to pay for doing it all on my computer.

Now we just have to wait for the drawing for the Ice Skating competition. His mailman has a teen son. Thanks to Spike's winning, the boy has his wall covered with signed memorabilia of the Boston Bruins Hockey Team. A couple of shirts, hockey sticks. posters, etc.

My grandson has the same for the Red Sox. And my girlfriend's daughter in Atlanta is a Patriot's fanatical fan and has a jacket, couple of hats, posters, etc. She has a football signed by the whole team including Brady and Gronkowski.

Spike is running out of people to give this stuff to when he wins. He keeps the cash, but always gives the tickets and other stuff to folks he knows.

What gets me is he will tell you "I'm not proud." He picks up tickets off the street, goes through a barrel where ever he sees one. He doesn't care. One of those tickets could be the BIG one! And he has everyone in the family doing the same thing. Even me. I have become a garbage picker! :angel:

I have to admit my post above was in sarcasm...:LOL:

It's hard to believe one person could make $100-$200 a WEEK on winning scratchers thrown away by mistake.

"....Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200...."

Last edited:
I have to admit my post above was in sarcasm...:LOL:

It's hard to believe one person could make $100-$200 a WEEK on winning scratchers thrown away by mistake.

"....Spike could make a living just on those "Non-losing" tickets. He will finish scratching them and sure enough. $50, $100, even a $1,000 ticket. In an average week, he can make $100-$200...."

Yeah. It's hard to believe that people who play the lottery don't know all the possible ways they can win.

It's not hard for me to believe.

Eons ago, I worked at a 7-Eleven and sold zillions of lottery tickets. People purchasing them often chatted with each other about how they did this week or last week or a month ago on the various games. They shared information and it was somewhat competitive. So it would surprise me to see people continually throwing away winners.

It's not hard for me to believe.

I have picked up a ticket right after I saw it tossed in the waste pile. A $20 win for me. It happens all the time to those willing to pick them out of the waste basket.

Stand there and watch someone who has just spent $100 on a string of tickets. He is the one looking for the BIG win. I seen men pull out a ball of cash and buy almost half of the book. It happens every time a new game comes out. They think all the big winners are in those first books. :angel:

Eons ago, I worked at a 7-Eleven and sold zillions of lottery tickets. People purchasing them often chatted with each other about how they did this week or last week or a month ago on the various games. They shared information and it was somewhat competitive. So it would surprise me to see people continually throwing away winners.

The higher the cost of the ticket, the higher the prize money. The addicted gambler is not interested in the small $10, $20 winner tickets. He wants the $M winning ticket. He will settle for the $1,000 or $2,000. Even brag about it. The problem in this state, is you can't cash the tickets that are over $600 in the store. You have to go in town to the offices of the Lottery and cash it in. And that is where you get your picture in the paper, and all sorts of publicity.

The gambler with an addiction is another kind of person. We just had a million dollar winner here in Eastie. Picture in the paper and all the information of where he bought the ticket, him holding a giant check copy of the check standing next to the Commissioner of the Lottery. :angel:

An old lady told me she bought a 50¢ Mini Loto ticket every week. It was cheaper than a book and she could fantasize all week about what she would do with $50,000. (No income tax on lottery winnings here in Canada)

Back
Top Bottom