"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 06-16-2015, 11:32 PM   #161
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocklobster View Post
They make meat like products for vegetarians like veggie dogs, and veggie bacon, burgers etc...why don't they make products for people who don't like vegetables? Carrots made from pork, or chicken formed in the shape of cauliflower? I think it would sell...no?

Old 07-02-2015, 09:53 PM   #162
Master Chef

Baconator Fries

Could this be Wendy's idea of a U.S. version of poutine?

Baconator Fries

Old 07-03-2015, 08:11 AM   #163
Chef Extraordinaire

I have two rings that I rarely take off. They are both aquamarines, my birthstone. One is an emerald cut and the other is set in an old fashion setting. When they get dirty, they look horrible. So I give them to Spike and he takes them to work for me and cleans them. They are so beautiful when I get them back.

Aquamarines are in the beryl family. The same as emeralds. They are soft and can damage very easily. So I have always be reluctant to try and clean them myself. But I found the perfect way.

A soft toothbrush and Dawn dish liquid. I put some Dawn on the brush and gently clean all sides of the stones. When I rinse them off, they looked like new. Unfortunately I am going to have to stop wearing the emerald cut one. My knuckles are so swollen, that once I get it off, I will have to leave it off. Of course that is the one that looks the best when it is clean. And the one I love the most. It figures. I could have Spike get it made a tad bigger for me. But then the ring will spin on my finger. Alas!

Most of June and now into July, I have been having a terrible time with my bad leg. Night time is becoming pure hell. Then this past week, I had a bout with sciatica. Same leg. I would love to get more than five hours of sleep in a 24 hour period. Getting old stinks, BIG TIME! I am not ready for it. Not even for the cane they gave me to use while I have the sciatica.
Old 07-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #164
Chef Extraordinaire

Living in a big city, I miss the small town celebration of July 4th. The doll carriage and bicycle parade. The concert on the commons and the small show of fireworks. The pie eating contests, the judging of the canned goods of home cooks. I think the small town celebrations are closer to exactly what the holiday and America is all about.
Old 07-13-2015, 03:54 PM   #165
Master Chef

My get-up-and-go got up and went.
Old 07-16-2015, 09:56 PM   #166
Chef Extraordinaire

I have as my wall paper five different pictures of the USS Eagle. The Coast Guard Training Vessel. The picture changes every ten seconds. You can't help feeling a sense of pride and patriotism when you see her in full sail. I had to choose between her and the Constitution. I chose the Eagle because you don't get to see the Constitution in full sail. And even though she has a full set of sails, they only go up for very special occasions. Like if the President wanted a ride on her. Or our 250 birthday. Right now she is in dry dock. For a boat that goes nowhere even in good weather, she gets a lot of repairs. Once a year they take her out to Boston Harbor, turn her around, fire off her cannons and bring her back to her berth.

No, I will go with the USS Eagle. Technically, she is quite capable of serving with honor in the event of ever needing her to do so. She does not have to totally rely on her sails. She does have an engine. But it is seldom used. Americans want to see her in full sail. I have seen her several times in full sail when she has come to Boston for a stay down on Commercial Street at the CG Station. And I fall in love with her all over again.
Old 07-23-2015, 04:47 PM   #167
Master Chef

My Wild Woman neighbor was giving an award-winning performance today, railing at her husband at the top of her lungs. I was sorely tempted to set up our lawn chairs in the street and sell popcorn for the performance.
Old 07-23-2015, 07:13 PM   #168
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooking goddess View Post
my wild woman neighbor was giving an award-winning performance today, railing at her husband at the top of her lungs. I was sorely tempted to set up our lawn chairs in the street and sell popcorn for the performance.

Name:   ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1437693223.506703.jpg
Views: 70
Size:  81.0 KB
Old 07-23-2015, 07:33 PM   #169
Master Chef

^
Old 07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #170
Chef Extraordinaire

Well I did it again! Someone kick me really hard. I made up a batch of fried chicken for Pirate yesterday. I made sure that it wouldn't be greasy as I was going to want a small leg. Well I ate the leg and got home a short while ago from the hospital. Sure enough a massive attack on the gall bladder. Bad enough that they were considering sending me up to the OR to have the dang organ removed as an emergency. But I was so unstable with the pain, they decided to address that first. Then the surgical team decided that they wanted to look at my medical history before they would operate.

Sometime in August I all I got. To be continued!