Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good idea, Taxy. Sure sounds like someone up to no good under the cover of darkness.

Last edited:
I just phoned public security, so they would know. I will call my condo rep later, when she gets home from work. Oh, and I will post it on the condo's FB page.

Maybe Trick-or-Treaters got a late start this year, Taxy? :ermm: All of your plans sound like a great way to deter any further funny stuff by whoever showed up at your door. Probably some drunk, or a group of them who decided to challenge one of the group to do something like that. Nothing more "interesting" than a bunch of drunks. :rolleyes: Hope it doesn't happen again.

Maybe Trick-or-Treaters got a late start this year, Taxy? :ermm: All of your plans sound like a great way to deter any further funny stuff by whoever showed up at your door. Probably some drunk, or a group of them who decided to challenge one of the group to do something like that. Nothing more "interesting" than a bunch of drunks. :rolleyes: Hope it doesn't happen again.
Yeah, I can easily imagine it was some drunken young men, daring each other.

Something weird happened last night. I go outside to smoke. I went out a little after midnight and everything was normal. I went out again about half an hour later. It seemed darker than it should with the outside light on. I have a light attached to the outside wall of the house. I looked at it. There was a plastic planter over it like a lampshade. So, someone came into my tiny backyard and did that. I was mostly sitting on the Chesterfield on the opposite side of that wall and never heard anything. I wonder what that was about. Stirling thinks it was a drunk.

This might be a stretch but could the wind have picked up the plastic pot and planted it on the light fixture? In my apartment complex we sometimes find things in odd places after a storm, the courtyard seems to create a wind tunnel of sorts.

This might be a stretch but could the wind have picked up the plastic pot and planted it on the light fixture? In my apartment complex we sometimes find things in odd places after a storm, the courtyard seems to create a wind tunnel of sorts.
It would be highly unlikely, even if there had been any wind. My backyard, I tend to get less wind than the general amount of wind. Also, someone emptied water out of it onto my back step. It hadn't been on the step.

Choosing a Profession

Pirate's oldest son is a firefighter in a bedroom community up near the NH border. He wanted to transfer to the Boston Fire Department. Pirate had quite a hard time convincing him to stay where he was. He asked me to come up with some reasons why he should stay put.

Boston has old triple deckers that are mostly wooden. They are close together and are as a rule multiple alarm fires. Any time there have been a death of a firefighter on the job, it has been because Boston fights these fires from the inside. They are close together. So close there are sometimes you can reach out your side window and touch the building next door. I have seen whole blocks go up in flames.

He has two young children. If anything should happen to him, they would be fatherless. And should his wife remarry, did he really want someone else punishing his kids?

Ok Dad, I get the picture. I won't transfer.

https://www.google.com/search?q=pic...EmV8LBxjM:&usg=__zGp2QdLr8VQZhKtFpy2uM7kqQ6E= :angel:

Last edited:
Memory - or lack thereof

You don't need a treadmill or a StairMaster if you have a two-story house (three, if you count the steps to the basement) and a poor memory. :wacko:

So I'm in the kitchen heating up the meatless pot roast, in my extra large frayed sweatshirt and flannel pants, and DH comes home from work for lunch. "You look like Olive Oyl."

The man sure knows how to give out compliments!

So I'm in the kitchen heating up the meatless pot roast, in my extra large frayed sweatshirt and flannel pants, and DH comes home from work for lunch. "You look like Olive Oyl."

The man sure knows how to give out compliments!

ROFL

Good Morning on this 1st day of February.

When is the style of parting your hair in the middle and then letting it hang down straight down along the side of your face going to go out of style?

Don't girls know that just a few curls to frame your face makes you look so much prettier?

What brought this thought on was I was wandering through some pics of stars at different red carpet events. A lot of the women had on beautiful gowns and it seems like they forgot to do their hair. Do they really think they look pretty? A lot of them look like they may have forgotten to even wash their hair. Very greasy looking. :angel:

Words of Comfort

Pirate's oldest son is a firefighter in a small town north of Boston. All fire fighters there have to be licensed paramedics also. The fire department runs the town ambulance. He hates it when it is his turn to work on the ambulance.

He informed his father that he doesn't want to be a paramedic. :wacko: "Dad, I want to run into burning buildings". :angel:

This is a public service announcement :)

So, it turns out that my MIL did not have a stroke last November after all. Based on what my FIL told DH, doctors found no evidence of a stroke in brain scans. Instead, she apparently developed Hyperosmolar Hyperglycemic Nonketotic Syndrome, or extremely high blood sugar from uncontrolled diabetes.

Her blood sugar was over 700 when she was admitted to the hospital. At that level, the blood becomes thick and syrupy. This makes the heart work very hard to move the blood and the kidneys work very hard to eliminate the sugar from the body. This also requires lots of fluid (for peeing out the sugar), which can lead to dehydration if it's not replaced.

Since she's stubborn and refused to go to the hospital when my FIL became worried, the condition eventually caused severe dehydration which, because the body was pulling fluid from wherever it could get it, including the brain, finally caused a stroke-like episode and brain damage. She is still in a nursing home and will probably never live at home again. My FIL did have a stroke last year; although he has recovered well, he can't take care of her by himself.

So please - if you think you have your diabetes under control, please make sure and check your blood sugar every day. My aunt had Type I diabetes and checked her sugar at least four times a day for 50 years. She still suffered neuropathy, kidney damage which required a transplant, eye damage requiring surgery, and wounds that would not heal.

Diabetes is a really nasty disease. Too many people underestimate it. Please take care of yourself.

http://www.diabetes.org/living-with-diabetes/complications/hyperosmolar-hyperglycemic.html

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/diabetic-coma/basics/causes/con-20025691

GG, I'm so very sorry for what happened to her. What a tragic story that could have been prevented. Many of us are stubborn and this is a lesson to be learned for sure. Thank you for this very important information, and my best wishes to all. So sad.

Yes. I'm pretty stubborn as well, and since I have a few chronic illnesses, I also hate going to the ER and into the hospital. But that's selfish on my part.

DH has been especially struck by how his parents' relationship has changed. They can no longer banter together, tease each other, share their days with each other as they have for over 50 years. His father was just lost, although he's adjusting somewhat. But it is very sad.

That is all so sad, GG For all of you. Time for a group hug?
grouphug3.gif

Your post shook me up a little, since Himself has Type 2 he's battled for over a decade. If he won't look after his exercise requirements, I can at least go back to cooking better. Can't nag better, though, since I'm probably at the top of the game in that. :ohmy:

Thanks so much for sharing this. If you help any one of us here, you've done your good deed.

Back
Top Bottom