Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That is all so sad, GG For all of you. Time for a group hug?
grouphug3.gif

Your post shook me up a little, since Himself has Type 2 he's battled for over a decade. If he won't look after his exercise requirements, I can at least go back to cooking better. Can't nag better, though, since I'm probably at the top of the game in that. :ohmy:

Thanks so much for sharing this. If you help any one of us here, you've done your good deed.

Thanks for the hug, sweetie :) My maternal grandfather had Type 2 diabetes, too. I remember my grandmother actually measured out his servings with a measuring cup. I know that's hard to do with some people, though ;)

I've been talking to DH about his diet; he doesn't have Type 2, but he's at higher risk, since his mother does. He recently switched from instant oatmeal for breakfast to a multigrain instant oatmeal, with rolled oats, flax seed, barley, quinoa and rye. I know it's not the best choice, but it's better than the toaster waffles he was eating last fall :LOL: And since he gets up at 5:30 and makes his own breakfast, there's only so much I can do.

Last edited:
Do you test it often, Addie?

I have to be the worst patient any doctor ever had with diabetes. I test when I remember it or if I see a commercial on TV to remind me. Very rarely is it out of control. I stay in the low 6.0 area. I was doing too good to the point I kept having sugar crashes. My sugar would drop so low that at one time when I went into for a pre op workup, that the last thing I remember hearing was, "Do we have a crash cart?" So they took me off all medication. The only sugar I have in my life is in my coffee. I really watch very closely what I eat and how much. One slice of bread folded in half in a sandwich for me. And it always is a meat filling. Spread very thinly.

I do record all my readings in Excel, print it out once a month and they enter it into my chart at The Club. They are pleasantly surprised at how well I am doing. My highest reading this past year was 6.8. And that was right after a full meal. I do record if I have eaten and what. So for the miserable manner of testing, I still keep an eye on my sugar levels. :angel:

Last edited:
DH made the mistake of having a cup of coffee with a small shot of my homemade Kahlua. The same stuff that kept us both up until 3 am a few months ago. Now he's bouncing off the walls even while watching his beloved Hawkeyes, and has to come downstairs to give me a minute-by-minute report about how caffeinated he is.

I'm done with homemade Kahlua. It's dangerous.

DH made the mistake of having a cup of coffee with a small shot of my homemade Kahlua. The same stuff that kept us both up until 3 am a few months ago. Now he's bouncing off the walls even while watching his beloved Hawkeyes, and has to come downstairs to give me a minute-by-minute report about how caffeinated he is.

I'm done with homemade Kahlua. It's dangerous.
Make it with decaf. ;)

Make it with decaf. ;)

Heh. It was a mix of packets, both caf and decaf, that we'd acquired through the years of hotel stays. I just had the brilliant idea of decluttering and using them up. Tastes just like Kahlua, only on steroids.

Hmm. All is quiet upstairs now. Better go check.

Note to self:

Be sure to put water into the water kettle BEFORE turning on the burner. :ermm:

Fortunately, my bat ears heard the metal pinging soon after heating had started, and I'm smart enough to not put cold water into a hot pot. No harm, no foul.

I am loving these programs where kids volunteer to read to shelter dogs and cats! It really helps them all!

It's not, it's 10:49. I do not like this savings time, I do not like it, Sam I Am!

My thoughts exactly:

daylightsavings.jpg

This works, too:

maxine-spring-ahead.jpg

Now if I could just find the Dr. Seuss-style poem that has the line "I do not like you, DST" I'd be a bit less crabby...

My opinion of DST, to paraphrase a meme:

Only the government would think you can cut a foot off the top of blanket, sew it onto the bottom of the blanket, and believe that the blanket is longer.

What a great idea.

Isn't it though? Why didn't someone think of this long ago? I get so upset when I hear about a child being left out, abused, etc.

When my daughter became old enough to babysit, the first thing I told her was her first responsibility was to make sure the child remained safe at all times. After that, it was to make sure the child was happy in her care. She never forgot what I said. Then when she had her first born, I added that she must make sure that her child grew up with happy memories.

Those rules are even more difficult to follow when you have a child with special needs. :angel:

How do you put your face down, when you can't stop smiling???

I tried to smoosh it, but it didn't work!

Last edited:
Drat. Missed National Dog Day yesterday. Beagle will be highly upset. Or sleeping.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom