Stray Thoughts 2.0

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Carol, this medical turn on this thread brought to mind regarding your husband. How is his recovery from the shingles doing? I have been on Spike's case and Pirate's also to get the shot. But they have that typical male attitude. Not me. I won't get them. Now Spike has been breaking out with a rash on his arms and despite his doctor's assurance, it is not shingles. But it is enough worrisome to him that he got his shingles shot. Now I just have to work on Pirate.

Pirate's excuse is that one year he got the flu shot and the next day he had a full blown case of the flu. He thinks if he gets the shingles shot, he will then get the shingles. I think I will get Spike to assist me in convincing Pirate that he needs the shot. :angel:

I haven't driven a car in over two years. We are a one car family now and DH drives everywhere we go. The last time I drove, DH was sick in bed and I had no choice but to drive. I'm concerned that I might get into that situation again. So I had DH take me up to the local park where the speed limit is 15 MPH with very little traffic and let me drive around a bit. We just got a new car and it's bigger than I'm accustomed to. I'm going to do that every few days until I feel ready to go out on the road, then I will drive home, about two miles. After that I will make sure I drive at least once a week, even if it's just up to the store and back.
Good for you at sharpening your skills. My parents were always a one-car family. Mom got the car every Wednesday, Dad's day off, to run her errands. Once he retired, they went everywhere together, like they were joined at the hip. When Dad died, Mom was lost. It had been so long since she had driven that she didn't want to drive again. I decided then that I never wanted to not drive for any extended time.

It won't be long until we hear you're ready to drive the Daytona 500! Or at least into downtown Pittsburgh. ;)

Hope your DH is all recovered from the shingles. Hope he wasn't one of the unlucky ones who end up with a long spell of pain in the location of the rash.

SO and I are talking about downsizing from two to one car. We're both retired and SO can't drive for now so that makes sense. Even later when she's back on the road, we can share a car. I just don't look forward to the act of selling cars privately.

I let my driver's license go for about 17 years. When I wanted to start driving again, I took a few professional driving lessons and drove with some friends to get back up to speed with my driving. I think it was worth it. When I finished my driving test, the examiner said it was the best driving test he had seen in many years. That made my day.

Stirling has never learned to drive, but is still considering it. He just has that Montreal computer geek lack of interest in driving. There have been a few times that it really would have been handy if he could have driven me to the doctor or hospital.

Don't let him get an Oxygen and Pulse monitor...

Gah! I'm not letting DH read this, O&P monitor will be next. I'll have to get him a backpack.

He's been taking his new best friend toy everywhere. Thankfully, he didn't call me every 15 minutes today to report his temp from work. I think he's feeling better.

Gah! I'm not letting DH read this, O&P monitor will be next. I'll have to get him a backpack.

He's been taking his new best friend toy everywhere. Thankfully, he didn't call me every 15 minutes today to report his temp from work. I think he's feeling better.

<walking> My pulse is 72...76...82...75...
<breathing> My Oxygen is 98...94...97...96...92...
Ha it says "finger out"

Last edited:
<walking> My pulse is 72...76...82...75...
<breathing> My Oxygen is 98...94...97...96...92...
Ha it says "finger out"

Reminds me of one of these! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

100.png

9k=

Gap Year, now and then

Now: Taking a year off between high school and college to explore the world. Pricey, but Mom and Dad will pay for it most of the time.

Then: Taking a year off between high school and college to work at The Gap to explore the world of work. Mom and Dad aren't paying for all of your college costs.

Now: Taking a year off between high school and college to explore the world. Pricey, but Mom and Dad will pay for it most of the time.

Then: Taking a year off between high school and college to work at The Gap to explore the world of work. Mom and Dad aren't paying for all of your college costs.

Ain't it the truth! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Mind the gap, get right into college before life gets in the way!

DH opened the fridge door, peered at all the leftovers inside, and told me I need to stop cooking. We have too much to eat, he said.

Same man who complains that there's nothing to eat. Huh.

Last edited:
DH opened the fridge door, peered at all the leftovers inside, and told me I need to stop cooking. We have too much to eat, he said.

Same man who complains that there's nothing to eat. Huh.

He keeps you on your toes and always guessing. :angel:

I went to see the hand surgeon today. I have been given three options. They can replace the knuckle joinr on three fingers with artificial ones. Or I can get injected with cortisone drugs right into the joints. Or nothing. Just let nature takes its course. I am slowly losing the use of my right hand due to arthritis. I can now only touch the tip of just one finger with my thumb. I am going to talk to my PCP and hear what he advises. His specialty is Geriatrics. :angel:

What I learned at the wine tasting tonight.

I learned that I have Estate Bottled, Family Reserve taste buds, and a boxed wine budget. :( The best part was we each had about 6 ounces of really good quality wine, half of which were beyond our price range, and it didn't cost us anything more than the gas we used to get there and back. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom