"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > The Back Porch > Off Topic Discussions

Old 09-03-2015, 08:44 PM   #211
Master Chef

I also heard about that pillow case method a long time ago and have been using it ever since. It sure makes for a neater linen closet.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:40 PM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I can fold a fitted sheet. I figured it out a very long time ago. But, nowadays there is so much elastic on the fitted sheets that it is much harder. I think I will be switching to the pillow case method.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:28 AM   #213
Master Chef

Like those elastic-on-all-four-sides ones, taxy? I. Will. Not. Let. A. Sheet. Defeat. Me. I, too, use the bed as a table, our king-size bed. It doesn't take much effort to figure where to fold and how to tuck. However, it's not as much fun as when the top and bottom edges were the elastic ones and Himself helped me fold. We'd each take a corner in each hand, then start to fold it like a flag. Once we made it narrow enough we'd then walk toward each other, kiss, and he would grab the two sheet corners I had been holding, and I would walk backwards with the folded end. Another two forward-kiss-backs, and the sheet was folded. If we try doing that with the new sheets, we end up arguing instead.
Old 09-04-2015, 03:31 AM   #214
Master Chef

Am I the only one that just washes the sheets and puts them back on the bed?
Old 09-04-2015, 07:09 AM   #215
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post

My wife does the same.

Sent from my iPad using Discuss Cooking
Old 09-04-2015, 07:59 AM   #216
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Dawg, I saw a cool tip somewhere: store sheets, and the second pillowcase if there is one, inside the matching pillowcase. This way, it's easy to pull the set out and there's no need to make the fitted sheet look neat
That's exactly how I do it...
Old 09-04-2015, 08:01 AM   #217
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
I have to give all equal time...too many color choices.
Old 09-04-2015, 08:37 AM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
I have to give all equal time...too many color choices.
I have always had two sets for each bed. But they don't have to match. Who goes into my bedrooms? I grab whatever is on top in the drawer. The first bottom, top and pillowcase that I can get my hands on, goes on the bed. And I have never folded them into sets.

When the kids were small, I had an absolute routine on Sunday morning. The kids had the choice of helping with housework after breakfast or go to Sunday School. A good way to get them out of the house. After they were dressed and gone to church, I gave the kitchen a quick clean and started Sunday dinner. While it was on low, I would strip every bed in the house. While the bedding was washing, I was folding the laundry I had dried the night before. When I put that away, I would pull out the clean bedding for each bed and drop it on their bed along with their laundry that had to be put away when they got home. They also had to make their own beds. Pirate was way too small so I had one of the older kids help him with the bed. No order of who got what. One would have the blue bottom sheet, yellow top sheet, pink pillow case. Spike always flatly refused to have any pink bedding in his room. So they would trade off and surprisingly, they all ended up with matching sets. Poor Pirate, he always got the pink.

When I folded the laundry that they had on their bed last night, I put it away in no particular order.
Old 09-07-2015, 10:20 AM   #219
Master Chef

I was thinking today how much my life has changed, not sure if it is for the better!

I need to pack up a set of dishes so I went to the Home Depot and bought four cardboard boxes, a package of newsprint to wrap the dishes and a roll of tape. When I was younger, and more agile, I would have gone behind the local liquor store to pull some sturdy boxes from the dumpster and wrapped the dishes in yesterday's newspaper. These days the liquor store has a secure box baler and the local newspaper is online! In a few more years we probably won't even need the dishes!
Old 09-07-2015, 02:20 PM   #220
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

So true, Aunt Bea...I have a garage full of boxes I had to purchase. Stores wouldn't even save them for me when I asked.